cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon Unlimited how's it working for you?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who switched to the Verizon Unlimited Plan. Please share thoughts, issues, likes and dislikes. Thank You.
pawatt
47 REPLIES 47

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
For now I stick with my 24gb XL plan with roll over. I end up with 30-50gb a month, of which we only use most of during summer travel.

The Unlimited plan is significantly more $$$ for a plan with 5 lines, and to make matters worse, they do not allow my companies corporate discount of 22% on the unlimited plan. Unlimited was dead upon arrival for me personally.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I also fulltime and switched to the Unlimited plan in March. I also don't stream videos (much) or do Netflix. I tether my phone to my computer and am at about 13 gigs now with 1 day to go. I am on the web every day usually for a couple hours. No throttling.

Have you tried tethering your phone ? Might solve your problem. And you're already paying for it.

None of my business but I don't see how you can use 2 gigs per day (MOL) if you're not streaming. Seems like something is hogging your data.

Yah, thanks.
I'll Hotspot my phone to the laptop when really needed and to use the data instead of loosing it..

Laptop is on all day. Windows updates and my Arch Nemesis "Ms Garmin" (nav) will take up some 6-8 gb when they update, not often but it happens.

I keep facebook, News and email open all the day time.
I'm not trying to "Limit" myself, but more to manage whatever I have and certainly not happy with the process of changing over, so I'm carrying that in my mind too..

But with Apps/windows/limited occasionally 2-3 games updates it all disappears quickly..

Not sure how you're not "Throttled" after 10gb, using your phone as a hotspot, maybe not seeing the difference, but my guess is that it is being 'Throttled" not "Managed".

Thanks for the feedback...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I also fulltime and switched to the Unlimited plan in March. I also don't stream videos (much) or do Netflix. I tether my phone to my computer and am at about 13 gigs now with 1 day to go. I am on the web every day usually for a couple hours. No throttling.

Have you tried tethering your phone ? Might solve your problem. And you're already paying for it.

None of my business but I don't see how you can use 2 gigs per day (MOL) if you're not streaming. Seems like something is hogging your data.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Vrzn Unlimited? In a word, it "Sucks" IMNSHO

I have a phone, Samsung 7e and MiFi Jetpack (jp) 6620L.

I changed from the XL 24gb plan with the safety switch, that was lousy even for email checking only, apx a week after the plan came out and was pleased, it was great, why??
Cause they didn't "Enforce" the "Throttled" aspect of the JP.

I"m a fulltimer, and Data is the main focus for me. Phone? well you have to have a phone I'm told, but not used much at all. I'm solo. I will use the phone's 10gb hotspot when needed for the laptop.

Currently, I hit my JP, 10gb limit, within a few days.
I then have the "Throttled" 3g?? for the remaining 25days or so.
3G, heheh, gawd, what a joke, I wish. Can't stream, constant buffering at low res, 280.. worthless. 600 kbs? is the reported speed if you're lucky. I have been using the "Speed test" phone app, but I'm also usually away from the cities, so I do take that into account.

Bottom line, 'Scammed' like a "Snake Oil Salesman" comes to mind.

After checking 3+ times with the Vrzn Chat peeps that the JP would be like the phone, 22g then "Managed" all would have been well. And yes, while it is 'Written' in the fine print, I should be able to trust the CS Chat reps. While one might get it wrong, 3 should be able to confirm it all.

2 months later, thinking all is well, the ole Verizon "Gotcha" pops up and then "Throttling" comes into play.. good news is, that it appears to be faster than the old "Safety Switch" they had on, that was painful,
Bad news is, that it's not that much better..

So, not a happy camper on the Vrzn UL plan at all.
It's not 'limited' on the amount of Data
they 'limit' it by the speed.
So, bottom line, it 'IS' a "Limited Plan"

Standing by for yet another "New Plan" but will try to stay away from Verizon's "GOTCHA"S... There always is one or more, in my opinion.

Also,
I think that they are calculating the data differently, could be apps, but on the XL24gb, I would maybe go over a few GB each month. I now hit 28gb and I'm only halfway through billing cycle. I blow through the 10GB limit in just a few days... so something is going on. No real difference in use and certainly not streaming Netflix etc videos.. can't.

So, my opinion, the UL plan "Sucks"...

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use pda net on wifes GS5 for hotspot. Her plan rolls over tomorrow, data usage as of this am is 71+GB. Have not noticed any slowdowns.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Wi-Fi hotspot is Not tether
Tether is when use a USB cable and sometimes you need a good program like pda need
When you do that it all shows as phone data

Wi-Fi Hotspot is a Verizon function, and yes they know how much is used via the built in onboard hot spot app

You are absolutely correct . . . but the cell providers are using many of the terms interchangeably now. Sometimes I think it is just to confuse people. The most misleading is the term "hotspot".

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
When you tether from your phone . . . unless that's the only thing you are using the phone for . . . it's impossible to know how much of your data usage is coming from the "hot spot/tether" bucket and how much was other usage.

Only the "hot spot/tether" data usage counts toward the 10GB. Remember that "hot spot" refers to both an independent physical hotspot (like a jetpack) or when the phone's hot spot feature is being used by another device.

Since Verizon doesn't separate the usage on a phone, it's hard to know how much data usage was applied to each "bucket".

I have had the new unlimited plan for a few months now. I also tether my Iphone and have not been throttled. And the phone DOES show exactly how much data was used for tethering and how much data was used by the phone for 'all else'. This info is a function of the phone - not Verizon.

That's great news for phones that have that feature!

MrWizard
Wi-Fi hotspot is Not tether
Tether is when use a USB cable and sometimes you need a good program like pda need
When you do that it all shows as phone data

Wi-Fi Hotspot is a Verizon function, and yes they know how much is used via the built in onboard hot spot app
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
When you tether from your phone . . . unless that's the only thing you are using the phone for . . . it's impossible to know how much of your data usage is coming from the "hot spot/tether" bucket and how much was other usage.

Only the "hot spot/tether" data usage counts toward the 10GB. Remember that "hot spot" refers to both an independent physical hotspot (like a jetpack) or when the phone's hot spot feature is being used by another device.

Since Verizon doesn't separate the usage on a phone, it's hard to know how much data usage was applied to each "bucket".

I have had the new unlimited plan for a few months now. I also tether my Iphone and have not been throttled. And the phone DOES show exactly how much data was used for tethering and how much data was used by the phone for 'all else'. This info is a function of the phone - not Verizon.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
It sucks we switched to *unlimited* and back to our 24 gig plan the same month the throttling down was so slow. I complained to the CSA about the salesman who sold it to me, and the lack of information he gave me. I got a 10 bucks credit and my 24 Gs of 4G back.
Jesseannie

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
prstlk wrote:
I switched our plan about a month ago and I'm not really happy with it. My computer doesn't like 3g service. The internet continually goes off and then I get a DNS error. I have to restart my computer, sometimes 2 and 3 times and I have to turn my jetpack off and back on at least 1 time as well.

I have never tried to stream anything on my computer or tv - can't imagine how long it would take at 3g service!

Things like short movies shared on Facebook are slow to buffer and opening more than 1 or 2 tabs makes everything really slow. And, heaven forbid my husband get on the internet on his tablet while I'm on the computer - it's a battle to see who can get their pages opened first.

I'm thinking about calling and switching back - which I was told I could do and I made sure it was noted in my records. I had the 30GB plan before and only really had 1 or 2 close times where we went over by 1GB for the month.

I also hate how Verizon tells you it's all unlimited but it really is a limited plan - they slow it down and still control what you can and cannot do with your internet. It's unlimited but really slow!

Any other plans out there that allow you to have 4g lte on an unlimited basis?

I live in the same area as you and used 35gb on my line alone last month, with about 25gb from WiFi tethering to another device. I haven't noticed any slow down at all. How much are you using a month before you start seeing it slow down?

It slowed down pretty much the same minute I hit the 10GB on the jet pack. They sent me notification of my hitting that limit and the issues started that same afternoon.

Ok, that's the difference probably, I'm not using a jet pack. I'm just tethering from my phone.

Also add another person mentioned, I had one of those $5 a month jet packs last year and I was able to stream Netflix all day long at the 3G speeds. So when Verizon throttles now, maybe they are restricting it too much.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I think the biggest failing of the VZW limited/unlimited plan is that when they drop you down to 3G, it isn't even normal 3G speeds, it's a speed (600Kbps?) that's at the lower end of 3G. Heck, my gray market VZW $5/mo unlimited 3G plan routinely gets speeds of 1.5-2.5 Mbps down/0.75-1 Mbps up. I've streamed full length Amazon Prime movies with it with zero buffering on several occasions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
So the limit with a jet pack is 10GB and it sounds like you already knew that. If you are in a area with a lot of people your service is going to suffer. This really should not be a surprise. Verizon only promises that you will still have service but there is no service level promised.

Amen to that - that's their usual MO.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014