cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing with early dementia

scarlettsix
Explorer
Explorer
My husband was diagnosed with what is most likely early Frontal Lobe Dementia. We had so looked forward to doing some traveling and using a brand new boat we purchased, which has not even been fished from once.

Am I dreaming, or is this even possible? We love the outdoors and I would;d think this would be healthier than sitting in the house in front of a TV all day waiting for no telling what.

Advice please. We have not purchased an RV yet and would also like suggestions on which type would be easiest on us to operate and tow our bay boat...

Thank you,

Cathie
18 REPLIES 18

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
sancoots, just a thought how about a small tracking device one could clip to his clothes taht could be monitored with a computer or smartphone! I know there is a program that asks me if I want to activate to help find my phone if it's lost! Can't remember the name of it! maybe do a search in your browser!

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all others on here, to get an rv that you are able to operate by yourself. My husband also suffers from dementia as part of his Huntington's Disease. He is in the middle stages currently and his short term memory and cognitive thinking are the most effected, however he is still able to walk on his own. We have enjoyed our trailer for many years and thankfully I learned early on how to drive and work everything on the trailer so the transition to me being the sole driver/navigator was easier.

Also depending on how severe the dementia is, they can become lost very easily in a new campground setting. I do not leave my husband alone as if he wanders away from the trailer, he would not be able to find his way back. Thankfully, he still has enough sense to stay on the site unless I am with him.

We still enjoy camping very much and have our summer trips planned. I tend to pre-book campsites to avoid some of the stress of trying to find a campsite last minute. I say go for it as long as you can manage if it is not a financial burden. As someone else said life is short so go out and enjoy today

GrandMom97
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry that you and your husband are facing this diagnosis. My dad was diagnosed with dementia(not severe) and had some other health issues, but enjoyed travelling. We have a motorhome and it was great having his own bed, our own bathroom, and not hauling suitcases in and out of motels. He would often lie on the sofa while we drove down the highway. We took him on numerous trips around our state of Texas, visiting relatives, and even took long road trip up north too. We paced ourselves so not to wear him or Mom out, would camp for several days, or just overnight. We traveled several years until his health worsened. I am so thankful that I could do this for him. I choose a motorhome because I did not have experience in towing a vehicle. If we stayed somewhere for several days and needed transportation, we rented car.
My suggestion:
As some of the other posts said, check out many different style RVs, find what you are comfortable with. I rented a small Class B+ RV to get the feel of driving it before I purchased our Class C 30ft.
If you and your husband enjoy traveling, go for it while he is still able to travel. Make the memories while you can.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Everything else has been answered quite well! I would say go for it! We never know how long it takes for dementia to get worse. Their is medication now that can prolong it! Had a brothers who lasted 5-6 yrs and an aunt who made it 10 yrs before being admitted to a nursing home. Ages between 64-75 yrs old when they passed!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I think I'd recommend either RVing or boating but not both at the same time. If possible put the boat in a slip so you have somewhere to come home to every time. I've done the boat on a trailer trick and it is a lot of work. RVing is a lot of work also. How about renting a cabin in an RV park for a few times?

"Try" before you buy an RV.

Without the boat, another option would be to rent a small Class C for a weekend, or?
Most of the rental outfits have a 20 ft as the smallest.

See how that works out - and if *you* will/may be a driver, find a no-traffic area for some street driving, and an empty parking lot for backing.

Book a pull-thru at a/the campground to make it easy to set up.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a small B or C class and learn to drive it and operate everything. Start with short trips to see how it goes. Not sure I would take the boat. Maybe go somewhere you can rent a boat instead so you won't have the upkeep. We met a couple in NC and his wife had dementia and they traveled in a Class A. He had a golf cart and stayed in parks that allow him to ride around with his wife on the cart. Just one thing that will be an issue. As it progresses you won't be able to leave him alone at all. So things like going to the grocery store when you travel will be challenging. Hopefully you will have many years before that happens. God Bless.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your husbands diagnosis. I would say to go with what you feel comfortable with. We went through dementia with my Mom for 14 years. She passed two years ago. It is very difficult to see and hard on the spouse or family members also.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd recommend either RVing or boating but not both at the same time. If possible put the boat in a slip so you have somewhere to come home to every time. I've done the boat on a trailer trick and it is a lot of work. RVing is a lot of work also. How about renting a cabin in an RV park for a few times?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
First, very sorry for his condition. As to your question, you asked about an RV to pull a bay boat. Size and how comfortable you are with towing, launching, loading, will be the real decision makers. You may want to find a boat storage or marina facility where you can keep the boat and then call when you want to use it and they will have it in the water waiting for you, and will put it back in the storage rack when you return. If you do want to tow, check the weight of the boat and select a vehicle according to comfort and your budget. Most motorhomes are capable of towing 20-25 foot boats.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider getting a pre-owned RV to reduce the commitment and certainly get something that you can fully operate alone.
Dementia can be slow over 10+ years or seem to progress rapidly.
Take pictures and keep a log of your travels to help with memories in the future.
Moping around the house watching tv is no way to spend these years.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some dementia progresses slowly over years. And they can continue to live a fairly normal life for a long time. Some advances very quickly once it starts. A long time friend began showing signs of dementia a year ago. It soon developed into full blown Alzheimer's. A month ago his wife had to move him to a memory care facility as she could no longer handle him.

Just be aware that you could experience either extreme, or something in the middle. Do live life to the fullest as long as you can and accept whatever life hands you.

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I say find an rv you are comfortable driving and go! I watched my mother in law go through it. Horrible disease and I'm sorry you have to go through it. I'd get out there and make all the memories that you can.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a good friend that had dementia and they put him on different meds and he lived another 8 years or so more or less on his own. He drove from Seattle to Yuma every year by him self. He passed away from lung cancer last year. I miss him as he would come by my house sometime 3 times a day as he forgot he had already been by. He was 88 yrs old. No I don't recommend living by your self as he did although he talked to his Daughter daily sometimes forgetting that he had already talked to her twice that day. I would say go camping or whatever as long as you can and still manage your Husband. Live life as tho there is no tomorrow
samsontdog:o:W

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
unless getting a RV would not be economicly possible. Do it until you can't any more. Friends of mine just went thru it. They had some good trips, until she couldn't go any more. But it was worth it to them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers