cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swivel tongue jack options...

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
Moving my trailer has been somewhat of a pain in the butt, in part due to the fact that when I park it at home it must be in a very precise corner, which requires much maneuvering. Adjusting the wheel of the tongue jack to point in any given direction requires an excessive amount of force on my end while on my hands and knees, and often when I have it in the right spot it will simply spin back to a different position that is apparently more comfortable for it once I start rolling the trailer. This means I have to sweat getting the wheel to point the right way, and often physically hold the wheel at the right angle while others push the trailer itself.

Lubricating the tube is not the issue. I've considered getting a different jack that has a greater load capacity, and also considered just getting a different caster wheel, as this one is pretty chewed up, and I'm assuming that has much to do with ease of movement.

So my questions are...

What is the deal with jacks and wheels (that are meant to be bought together) being labeled as having different load capacities? If I'm mixing and matching (buying a new jack and a new wheel) for a 1500 lb. trailer then what should the capacity for both the jack and the wheel be? My current Fulton jack is rated for 1000 lbs...

Would just a new wheel most likely suffice, since this one is old and marred?

Thank you so much!

Alana KS
6 REPLIES 6

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know these existed, I'm pretty much ready to buy it after having known about it and researched it for 10 minutes! Will do a little more research, but thank you so much for the intel.

mobeewan wrote:
If your trailer is the Scotsman in your profile, you might consider a trailer dolly.

Trailer dollies

I have the 600 lb, item 143754. And move a 2000 lb plus pop up with it. The trailer in your profile should be movable withit.

Just make sure the tires are fully inflated and you don't fold the tongue jack up. Leave it raised up enough so the wheel doesn't contact the ground while moving it. I folded the jack up on the the pop up and slipped in mud while moving the trailer once. The ball slipped out of the coupler when I fell and the handle flipped up. Some friends helped me lift the trailer tongue to set it back on the dolly ball. Never moved it again without the leaving the tongue jack in place.
Alana KS

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer is the Scotsman in your profile, you might consider a trailer dolly.

Trailer dollies

I have the 600 lb, item 143754. And move a 2000 lb plus pop up with it. The trailer in your profile should be movable withit.

Just make sure the tires are fully inflated and you don't fold the tongue jack up. Leave it raised up enough so the wheel doesn't contact the ground while moving it. I folded the jack up on the the pop up and slipped in mud while moving the trailer once. The ball slipped out of the coupler when I fell and the handle flipped up. Some friends helped me lift the trailer tongue to set it back on the dolly ball. Never moved it again without the leaving the tongue jack in place.

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, all! Looks like I'm just going to get a new jack...now the trick is not to labor too much over which one to get! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Alana KS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Unfortunately for what you're facing, the caster is going to work against you. While caster is a name for the wheel, it's also a behavior built into the wheel. If you look at a shopping cart you will notice that the wheels behave the same way your tongue jack behaves. That's because of the angle of caster built in. The front end of your car also has caster built in and it's why the steering wheel centers itself as you come out of a turn and keeps the car going in a straight line when you let go of the wheel.

If you wanted your tongue jack to not pivot as you move the trailer you would have to find a wheel where the axle is directly beneath the jack tube.

It might be easier to get the trailer lined up and try to push it where it needs to go. If the caster tries to spin you will need to kick it around 180 degrees so it will track straight. If that's not possible because you need the wheel physically in a different spot, then another option is to load the back of the trailer so the front becomes lighter. This won't stop the caster swing, but at least after you get the trailer where you want it you should more easily be able to spin the caster wheel around where you want it to sit without the trailer moving.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd get the heaviest weight I could find. My boat weighs about 2500 lbs, and the 1500 lb jack acts like it is going to break every time I use it. I'm not sure how they come up with the capacities on these, but I think they need revisit that method. The one on my popup was the same way.

I have to kick the wheel with my heel to get it pointed the way I want it to go.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Estimating without knowing is a bit hazardous, but in your case because your rig is so light, get a household scale and put your tongue on it. You have estimated it at 1500 pounds, and that should swing easily, but if you have the front end loaded that could cause trouble.

Certainly, it sounds like my boat and your trailer are the same, an underweight wheel and jack make it difficult to swing, where a bit more capacity would likely make things much easier.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel