cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dimmer for (+) Side

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to install a dimmer for the interior lights. I have the control panel and wiring exposed but the (-) side of the lights wasn't run to the panel. I do have a ground wire available.
Does anybody know of a dimmer that switches the positive side of the lights?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......
13 REPLIES 13

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
They're LED's, apparently unregulated. The problem is that the ground side wasn't accessible, that's why I had to rig a high side dimmer. Others on the GD forum are using a $30 dimmer, plug & play.
The control panel has the light switches, slide controller switches, water pump, and water heater switches. It wasn't hard to remove to get behind it.
For the MK-2 version I'll try a P-channel MOSFET instead of the bipolar transistor.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

MrWizard

4a dimmer for LED light system 5-24v compatible

LED dimmer Amazon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of lighting
FLorsecent (Sorry I know of none)
LED
Incandascent?

Now, with LED and Incandescent you can use either a simple resistor type dimmer or a Pulse With Noise maker,, ER, Modulator dimmer.

Many of them out there. but alas. I can't point you to any.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Why would you be in the control panel, for the dimmer
Mount it in the cabinet near the living room lights
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Update - since I already had a cheap low side dimmer I dusted off my memory and built a current source from a PNP transistor and a couple of resistors. Haven't checked it for electrical noise yet since I didn't add any filtering to it. But it works!
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ok, so i'm thinking, we need to know more about the LED to design a solution.

are the LED unregulated, or do they have on board regulator. is the on board regulator linear or switching?

my experience shows, applying any form of "dimming" to the DC-DC switching regulated LED module is going to end badly.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A bit of clarification - I'm trying to dim the 12V LED lights in the living area. So OK, I need a high side 12V LED dimmer.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For DC, a ground reference is required. What is not required for a high side dimmer is that the ground from the load goes through the dimmer. Most of the readily available cheap PWM dimmers work by switching the negative side of the circuit rather than the positive side, so the negative connection from the fixture must go through the dimmer module. A high side dimmer modulates the positive lead.

For traditional AC dimmers, they will work in either leg of the circuit without needing any reference to the other as they're effectively just bipolar voltage sensitive switches (a triac triggered by a diac or something similar). That, of course, is uninteresting for 12V RV lighting.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, is there even such a thing as a floating high side dimmer? I cant see how one would operate without a ground or - connection.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be aware the LED lights require a whole different kind of dimmer than the 12V Incandescent automotive bulbs do. Automotive dimmers can use a variable 12VDC source where the LED DIMMERS require a PULSE WIDTH source of 12VDC or something to that effect. LED dimmers are not expensive however - check AMAZON with LED LIGHT DIMMER in search on GOOGLE followed by the word AMAZON... Should not be too hard to find both polarities on the fixtures... Has to have both + and - DC levels to work...

RV Color code is WHITE for frame ground (-12VDC) and any colored wire including white with a color stripe on it for +12VDC.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What you need is called a "high side dimmer." They are not all that easy to find, at least when compared with low-side dimmers.

PXD RV LLC (which I know nothing about other than that they have a web site) has a few dimmers and modules that are listed as high side dimmers. See, for instance, the various ATDIMxx modules.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Are these led or regular lights? 12v or 120v?

A simple rheostat might work. Any other gizmo will need both + and - to work.

https://www.amazon.com/a11082400ux0170-Ceramic-Variable-Resistor-Rheostat/dp/B015Z191E4

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of proposed dimmer?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker