cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food saver salads...?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any luck using Food Saver vacuum bags to store salads? Minus the tomatoes of course.

Needs to be bags not jars...Thanks!
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
4 REPLIES 4

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, we put the salad in Foodsaver bags all the time. However, you should just gently push the air out as much as possible with your fingers, then seal. Don't use the vacuum, or you wind up with salad mush, and while it might taste okay, one usually can't get past the "ewww" looks.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
No, but I did discover that a cut tomato will stay good for much longer in a small rubbermaid or tupperware container.

Hard to keep a cut tomato with my group. Got salt or sugar? They'll sprinkle it a top and slurp it back snarling if anyone wants them to share. Ravening wolves, just ravening wolves......

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but I did discover that a cut tomato will stay good for much longer in a small rubbermaid or tupperware container.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
John & Christine wrote:
Anyone have any luck using Food Saver vacuum bags to store salads? Minus the tomatoes of course.

Needs to be bags not jars...Thanks!

I have to thank you for the memory! There was a time when I worked offsite and brought salad in a jar to work daily.... including the tomatoes. Stopped doing it when I began working from home and could sound professional in my p.j.s:B.

A internet buddy of mine from a different site does a lot of solo camping in the Adirondacks and has discussed vacuum sealing salad in bags BUT she only treks out for a day or two (lives in the area so she just packs up her vehicle when the mood hits and get her "head cleared"). Love her fearlessness and lack of long term planning which is the antithesis of my projects:).

Anyhow she gave me a link to a site that I bookmarked a few years back with some great visuals. I haven't used it yet simply because most of my camping of the last decade or so has been close enough to local produce markets.

This year, we'll be primitive camping so think I'll take another look at the idea of bags instead of jars which of course take up less space and weight.

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/skinny-secrets/the-lettuce-experiment-and-a-giveaway

Here are some of the notes I made back then when considering the idea:

My Notes wrote:
Hard veggies and lettuces best; don't cut dark coloured radishes- colour leaching.
Blanch cruciferous veggies first...reason- tastes/digests better/no botulism, less off gassing.
Separate or add dressing? Experiment.
Green bags? A joke
Hand held vacuum sealing gadgets- marketing ploy what doesn't last as long as electric models
Hand squeezed tomato water-doable...add tomato powder?

HTH