cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding batteries

Passme
Explorer
Explorer
Well my WF-9855 converter is behaving just like everyone says, no bulk charge available regardless of SOC. And as usual it's gotta be the garbage factory wiring, it's 20+ ft. to tongue mounted Interstate (two 6V 206Ahr total) batteries using undersized cables that of course require a lot of work just to find never mind replace! Can I install two Trojan T-105's with 1/0 welding cable to the converters present location, a run of about 6'. Wanna leave the front mounted Interstates in the circuit, I can manually charge them occasionally directly from the posts to bring them to 100% charge. The Trojen batteries setup will allow the WF-9855 to run its 3 stage charge cycle. Will this cause trouble for the converter? I look at the 2nd battery bank as a solar setup, the Trojans should dictate SOC perameters to converter (max 14.2V for 4 hrs) and the Interstates up front would benefit from the proper charge cycle. The Trojens are rated at 225 Ahr. so there is a 19 Ahr difference in the battery banks, is this a problem? Two more Inerstates be a better choice?
The simple fix is to relocate the front mounted batteries closer to the converter with proper cabling but if I can double my Ahr capacity with a 2nd battery bank I would seriously consider it. Their separate distances from converter is potentially the problem as I see it. Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I totally gave up years ago on 6v battery's. I use 2 12v wired with a marine style selector switch. Less expensive and 10 times more reliable for the 70 or 80 days a year I boondock.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
In my previous 5er I removed the stand alone wfco 55 amp converter and connected it direct to two 6v GC2's with 18" of #6 wire. First I drew the bank down to the low 11 volts at rest level I think it was 11.4. The wfco never showed over 13.2 volts, or was it 13.4. Any way it was low 13's no way it went into the 14's.

Progressive Dynamics has a replacement converter shelf that will go right into your wfco power center. Make sure you get the pendant.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600_converter_replacement.html

All kinds of videos detailing install.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=progressive+dynamics+pd4655+installation

- Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
I posted in your other thread, get rid of the WFCO.
My WFCO was in the middle of the trailer, I put a PD 9280 up front under the sofa with short runs to the batteries and have never looked back.
Also like I posted before you may want to think about putting in a Trimetric 2025 for a more accurate idea of what's going on with the batteries (or a 2030 if you think solar panels may be in your future).
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

Passme
Explorer
Explorer
Great website, thanks!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace the 9855. Even with 4 batteries and monster cables you will be hard pressed to get boost mode from a WFCO. BTDT.

PD9260-14.8 from bestconverter.com might be the best solution and could probably use existing wire.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260C-148-60-Amp

Passme
Explorer
Explorer
The WF-9855 is the problem no doubt but I'm reading that the factory wiring is also notoriously under sized, my converter to batteries distance is around 20+ft. so to narrow it down I need to meter the converter output voltage, if it's 14+V it's a wiring issue. Starting to take a look at these other converter brands...

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Anyway you slice it, the WFCO converter will not produce 14.8V (Trojan's charging specification). It's doubtful that a relocation of batteries and a larger cable will get the WFCO to produce a true bulk charge cycle. I don't own one but am referring to the posts on this Forum and others, about the charging aspects of the WFCO converters.

An easier solution may be to replace the converter with one that does a true bulk cycle at 14.8V. Progressive Dynamics makes one, as does Iota.

I replace the WFCO with a PD drop in. after that I took the wfco unit, using two feet of #4 to a gang of 4 t-125's discharged to 50 percent to see what the WFCO would do. still wouldn't go into bulk mode. threw it in the garbage.

I also have a PD 65A unit in the pass through with 4/0 to the batteries. now I have over 100A available if needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I installed an IOTA-55 deck mount converter in the pass-through. 14.8V and a short run to the batteries. I disconnected the AC input to the WFCO.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway you slice it, the WFCO converter will not produce 14.8V (Trojan's charging specification). It's doubtful that a relocation of batteries and a larger cable will get the WFCO to produce a true bulk charge cycle. I don't own one but am referring to the posts on this Forum and others, about the charging aspects of the WFCO converters.

An easier solution may be to replace the converter with one that does a true bulk cycle at 14.8V. Progressive Dynamics makes one, as does Iota.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Pics or diagrams worth 1000 words. Is a selector switch a good idea here? Bank 1 or Bank 2 or both or off would be the normal switch. i.e. http://tinyurl.com/moww9w8
Not sure if my confusion is due to the wording without pics or just foggy cells