Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glacier Wwaterton,area

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi all,
We have campground reservations for Glacier St. MARY this summer. Wife wants to eat into Canada, but I cannot get reservations for the Waterton side. We don't mind traveling further north to Jasper or maybe even Banff, but closer to border probably better. I will be driving a 40 ft diesel funmover with a couple of bikes, maybe a rzr in back, towing a jeep.

Looking for access to good scenery, activitoes, carry a kayak and a dog.
Thanks,

Cb
24 REPLIES 24

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK thanks, looks like if I get my wish this will be the set up , small motorhome, van and bike on back..

Photo deleted for size (too large), PM sent.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Police Outpost for a lake. Not sure how far away that is from where you are looking at staying, but the fishing can be very good, especially if you have a kayak to get out on the lake. Watch the wind though.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
Anything to do near crows nest for non riders? Fishing, sight seeing, etc

There's very good flyfishing in the area and there are also numerous lakes with decent sized trout.

Check out Frank Slide, Bellevue Mine and Fort Steele (a bit of a drive) for sight seeing.

There's also a lot of really good hiking and mountain biking around there. The ski hill at Fernie has mountain biking in the summer.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, we also found quadsquad out there. Need to find a fishing lake and I think goodmto go

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham, I googled this for you, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowsnest_Pass,_Alberta it might help you out.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
That would be the bear spray you buy in Canada, eh. They'll confiscate the US bear spray I believe.

If I am incorrect, someone will mention it.

Gary Haupt

Gary, I've taken big canisters of bear spray across the border from the U.S. and never had it confiscated. Done it for several years now. But it is bear spray (I usually buy UDAP), not mace or anything like that, which I think they will take.

Thanks for clarifying.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anything to do near crows nest for non riders? Fishing, sight seeing, etc

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
That would be the bear spray you buy in Canada, eh. They'll confiscate the US bear spray I believe.

Gary Haupt

Gary, I've taken big canisters of bear spray across the border from the U.S. and never had it confiscated. Done it for several years now. But it is bear spray (I usually buy UDAP), not mace or anything like that, which I think they will take.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
2Lazy 4U, if you think the crowds in Waterton are bad, go to Banff. You'll then think Waterton is almost a ghost town, IMHO. 🙂 Crowsnest Pass is not too far from Waterton, about an hour or so drive.

Every time I go to Banff, I swear I'm going to go off-season next time. I love the Crowsnest Pass area and Fernie. It's really beautiful.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
2Lazy 4U, if you think the crowds in Waterton are bad, go to Banff. You'll then think Waterton is almost a ghost town, IMHO. 🙂 Crowsnest Pass is not too far from Waterton, about an hour or so drive.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Use bear spray. Be sure it says bear spray on the canister, not mace or something made to use on people.

And as posted before, it's not a bad drive from where you're staying to Waterton, you can go see quite a bit in a long day. I've done it several times and was always glad to get back into the US and away from the crowds in Waterton (j/k, as the crowds at Glacier are as bad).

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, appreciate the help. I generally ride the dual sport 4,6 hrs every other day, need to have activities to keep wife, kid happy. She's a big time fishing fan. We will have paperwork in order, I did read somewhere that plated dirt bikes in Canada are starting to become illegal. If I bring it in with proof of insurance, should still be ok?

Also what do you use for bear protection out there, spray?

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Waterton Springs Campground is the one we always stayed at when visiting Alberta. A couple of miles north of Waterton NP's gate. We were there last June 29th to July 13th. It does get busy on Canada Day long weekend(July 1st). Make reservations now if interested.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF