cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Linoleum replacement

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
its about time to replace the linoleum in my 2003 Coyote, its separating from the floor and its time to go, and I have a few questions for those who have replaced theirs. I'm thinking of replacing it with square linoleum/vinyl tiles, or a floating floor. So here are my questions:

If you have used the square linoleum/vinyl tiles, did they stick well to the old existing sub floor? Did you pre-treat the sub floor with anything (paint, sealant, etc) to make them stick better or to prevent moisture?

If you replaced your flooring with a floating floor, did you pre-treat the sub floor with anything, or lay down a vapor barrier/shield?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

slavco
Explorer
Explorer
MadFinnHockey wrote:
its about time to replace the linoleum in my 2003 Coyote, its separating from the floor and its time to go, and I have a few questions for those who have replaced theirs. I'm thinking of replacing it with square linoleum/vinyl tiles, or a floating floor. So here are my questions:

If you have used the square linoleum/vinyl tiles, did they stick well to the old existing sub floor? Did you pre-treat the sub floor with anything (paint, sealant, etc) to make them stick better or to prevent moisture?

If you replaced your flooring with a floating floor, did you pre-treat the sub floor with anything, or lay down a vapor barrier/shield?

Thanks!

I found they didn't stick as well and ended up using linoleum glue, the extra cost was negligible as was the extra bit of work. But in the end the new vinyl floor tiles are firmly secured and I don't need to worry about peeling corners etc.

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
They sell quarter round moldings that i would use to trim out the perimeter and hide the edges. They usually come in various wood finishes.

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Since mine is thin linoleum and since they placed everything right on top of it, for the most part I won't be able to slip the new flooring under existing furnishings and fixtures, so maybe using a color coordinated caulk like you did will have to do the job. And I don't have any sliders or steps to deal with, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
MadFinnHockey wrote:
So its hard to tell from the pictures RJXJ, but how did you installed the tiles when you got to the cabinets and other furnishings? Just you just get as close to the cabinet as possible, did you remove some furnishings to put the tile under them, use trim to cover the edges?
Thanks and it looks great!

Thank you. In the areas where I cut the carpet there was room to slip the tile under the edge of the paneling. When they build the rig they put walls and other items right on top of the carpet so when you cut it out there is sometimes enough height to slip the tile under slightly. I just cut the tile closely along the cabinets and bath tub etc. I then used a color coordinated caulk for the edges. I did use a quarter round on one living room wall under the television area. The tile was very easy to work with and if I messed up on a cut it was only a dollar something or I used the bad tile somewhere else.

If I did it again I'd do it with a grout line. I dont see how a regular cement based grout product such as we would use in a house would work in a flexing floor like this. I had considered THIS product for the grout lines because it's silicone based and did use it around the edges. I was a little nervous because you dont hear a positive word from anyone in the stores and sometimes on here too. Some in the stores dont even want to talk about it if you say RV. I pictured it being easier to deal with loose tiles if I didn't install grout lines but that never happened.

I'll try to get a few more pics later.

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
So its hard to tell from the pictures RJXJ, but how did you installed the tiles when you got to the cabinets and other furnishings? Just you just get as close to the cabinet as possible, did you remove some furnishings to put the tile under them, use trim to cover the edges?
Thanks and it looks great!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Super nice work RJXJ!
One of the big reasons we picked out TT was because it only had carpet in the bedroom.
But the linoleum is getting dated looking and the new stuff looks so much better than the older stuff. I may have to make this a winter project some time.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 12 x 12 peel and stick from HD that can be installed tight or with a grout line. I sealed my floor with a latex primer that gave it more of a semi gloss finish vs the porosity of bare wood. I have had a couple places where I had to use an adhesive to make it stick, mainly on stairs. My slide floor is covered in the black plastic type membrane so the edge was loose and irregular. I used adhesive on those pieces along with tape to hold them in place until they dried then installed the aluminum cap.

I like the idea of individually replaceable pieces if any are damaged. It's been in here 2 years and we love it. We are never in the worst temperature extremes so that may help. You probably already know that none of these products are recommended for our type of use but if I had to replace it every couple years, I'd do it before I would have carpet. We usually dont take our shoes off, just vac and wipe with damp paper towels now and then.

Primer is going on

Aluminum edge is on but 1/4 round isn't covering rollers yet