cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class B vs. A 2.0 - Flexibility

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
An advantage our small RV’s have over big rigs is the flexibility to stay in a variety of different places. Over the years we have stayed in state/federal campgrounds (our first choice), both plugged in and unplugged, commercial RV parks, hotels, the driveways or streets in front of relatives’ homes (while staying inside), resorts, rental houses, and bed and breakfasts. We are burned out on B&B’s – they are overpriced for what you get.

When you are in a city, sometimes you want to stay in a hotel. Parking can be a challenge, you have to call ahead and make sure they have outdoor parking because parking garages are a problem. I tell them I have a “high top van”. We have done this in Miami Beach, Quebec City, Victoria BC, and many other places. Sometimes the parking lot is a few blocks away. It is no problem to leave the RV parked because of our two way refrigerator. When we visited New York, there is an RV park right across the Hudson River from the Wall Street Dock so we took the ferry, very convenient. In Wash. DC, San Antonio, and Toronto, we stayed in RV parks close to public transportation.

This flexibility gives us a great travel experience. When you are tired of camping in the mountains, pull into a Marriott Courtyard for a break!
17 REPLIES 17

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've met some unusual full-timers over the years. When I was living in California, I was full-timing in a Class A MH. I'd often camp at Kaspers Wilderness Park, just east of San Juan Capistrano. It was here I met some unusual full-timers. One guy was full-timing in a Mercedes automobile. I'd spot him shaving in the morning, using a side view mirror. I also met a couple of gentlemen full-timing in station wagons. One was an older, refined looking gent who claimed to be an out-of-work doctor due to his age. I'd often see him sitting on the tailgate having his tea.

Yes, these are extreme cases, but when you're down and out, you've gotta make do.
I'm out of RVing now due to a sudden infirmity, but if I ever regain my abilities, I'll probably get back to full-timing, possibly opting for a Class B motor home. I've lived in very small campers in the past, my first full-time RV being a fiberglass camper mounted on an under-powered Toyota truck. I called it the "pumpkin" due to its unusual shape.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In the fall of 2015, Ed and I did a sightseeing trip of the Pacific Northwest in our pop-up truck camper. We also visited our daughter, S-I-L and grandson; and they took us to some beautiful places in Portland. We were SO grateful for the nimbleness of the TC because we went to a lot of places that anything larger than a TC or B, simply couldn't fit down the narrow streets or find a place to park. Now that hotels accept dogs, we tend to stay at a hotel if we're in an area with no particular interest to us (or it's stormy or blazingly-hot); and when we get to the "pretty places" - we elect to camp amongst the beauty.

We'd like to do a similar trip of the NE Seaboard some day.

The drawbacks to our TC are: climbing in and out, and hauling stuff, snacks and beverages back and forth to the truck's cab for access while traveling. And with a pop-up, there's still a bit of setup once arrived at the campsite.

So for the next adventures in our life, a B just makes the most sense.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at scaling down to a B from our A based on our needs changing. I look at things practically as well as financially. It was real struggle finding a B with real sleeping areas for 3 (2 adults, one teenager) that wasn't requiring a makeshift bed from 2 seats. The other factor was cost. Any B we looked at that might have fit the bill was 2x the cost of My A. Frankly I could have bought a brand new entry level DP for what the B would have cost. So for us, it made no sense. As has been stated on here before, to each his own. Let your needs and wants define the rv for you. But exercise careful thinking, because a mistake buying the wrong RV can get really expensive.
2013 ACE 29.2

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
Timing of this discussion is interesting. My son plays in a basketball league and a couple of weekends ago I rented a hotel room near where he was playing (they play ALL weekend) so I didn't have to drive back and forth.
The following weekend he was playing further away, in a larger city, and when I checked for hotel rooms near where he was playing, it was $325 a night. I said, kid, I love you, but not $325 worth of love a night. LOL. No, no, no, I didn't say that, but, let's face it, that price is totally unrealistic for a night.
I want to thank the OP because you made me realize that it hadn't even occured to me to look for camping areas, even campgrounds, relatively close to where my son's games are played.
BTW, I have an Aliner Expedition.

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
I am trying to get my wife using the RT 190V. I just promise her a hotel room every third night. Then I tell her the advantages of the RV over a car. She is 74, I am 77.

1. Bathroom. Both have had accidents in the car, especially on interstates.
2. Wife can sack out. I know that it might be against the law, but who is looking. You can not see in the windows from the outside.
3. Food on the go, when you want it.
4. Can bring the dogs. Air conditioner run off generator.
5. Even though cost of fuel will be more, savings in hotel costs will be great.

Great flexibility, especially for older folks.

Heapie

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
omjones wrote:
I was stopped in my very old 'B' at a rest area and an older gent and his wife asked me if I felt out of place next to the 40 + foot million$ 'A's. I told him " No, if they get jealous of me that's their problem." 8-)
john 'I am Canadian'

It's funny you said this as I always embarrassed pulling in my Class A between trailers and tents at campgrounds, slides start popping out, auto leveling jacks humming as the rig self levels it self, the sound of the diesel running. So over kill for 'camping' I felt. I never thought twice about it in my other rigs. But it served its purpose for that time in my life where I needed the space.

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
I was stopped in my very old 'B' at a rest area and an older gent and his wife asked me if I felt out of place next to the 40 + foot million$ 'A's. I told him " No, if they get jealous of me that's their problem." 8-)
john 'I am Canadian'

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Flexibility is the key, but thats not the sole domain of a Class B either.

For our family, flexibility has been choosing the right RV for the lifestyle at various stages of our lives. We’ve done them all, from backpacking in tent before kids, then travel trailers when we young kids, into a Class C as they got older, then a Class A w/slides when it was us, pets, kids, and their friends. They all suited us perfectly at those times in our lives.

Now, its a Class B which is form fitting for our traveling lifestyle. We aren’t going camping and staying in a campground for day or weeks at a time. Traveling today means taking a trip down the eastern seaboard, or inland, stopping at various places along the way on a day by day basis. Not lugging a residential refrigerator, 50” LCD, triple slides, and all the assorted things that used to follow us around is a blessing. Lean and mean, just what we use, and convenient and fast to deploy or pack up and move on. I’ve found it very freeing not having to deal with a 40’ RV pulling a trailer or vehicle.

Everybody’s needs, wants, and lifestyles are different and change over their lifespan. I can’t help but laugh at those that put down others for their RV choice based on their chosen lifestyle, overnighting at a Walmart over a campground, tenting vs RVing, Mac vs PC, etc, as their view of the world is skewed to suit their own ego, or just so shortsighted assuming everyone lives and travels like they do.

5 years from now, I’ll probably be in a 5th wheel or DP when we are full timing. But for now, I absolutely love the Class B over anything I’ve had in the past. I’ll probably keep it when we full time since its so handy even for day trips. In fact, if I could make it my toad I probably would 😉

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
With a class "B", I have found hotels useful, especially when RV parks are completely filled up. One hotel, I wound up renting a room, using it just to take a shower, and they even allowed me to use power from the parking lot as an added bonus. I backed in, so as much of the vehicle was off the road as I could, and it worked out well.

A class "B" shower isn't bad... but I'd say every few days if on the road, going to a CG or some place to use their bath house is a nice change of pace, if only for the ability to shower with more hot water.

I would say everyone has their own RV type. A class "B" meets my needs because I'm definitely not full time, and I mainly go on weekends, with a camp at a renaissance faire. However, if I were full-timing, I'd definitely be considering a reliable DP or at least a larger class "C" for sanity reasons.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjson775 wrote:
The point here has been lost by the focus on hotels. The key is flexibility. For example, we have parked overnight in my brother's driveway in Tucson, at vacation rental houses with our kids in the Outer Banks of NC and Traverse City MI, and right on the street in Lincoln Park Chicago.

Yes, sometimes we stay in a hotel for the luxury after dry camping and hiking for a long time. Sometimes it is for location, we stayed right on the water in Miami Beach at the Marriott and in the middle of town in Victoria BC. The key is the freedom to stay where you want.

I am very surprised at the reactions of Class A owners on this post who are amazed that some of us actually prefer the small RV's and not because we can't afford a big one, because the fancy Class B's sure aren't cheap!

I don't see any Class A owners who are "amazed" at someone wanting a smaller RV. I simply see people pointing out that the choice of an RV is a personal one and that neither is better or worse. Do your homework before buying and you'll find the right one for YOU. It doesn't matter what anyone else has or thinks.

(BTW, I have a small Class C.)
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker_01 wrote:
A few months back, a friend of mine was asking questions about our motorhome, as he and his wife were thinking about buying some type of RV, but really didn't know what he wanted. Gave him a few questions with a spectrum of answers (below) that he and his wife could discuss which might help guide them on what to pick. So far, they are still only planning.

How many days/nights a year do you plan to use the RV? Full Timer / 4-6 months total / a few weekends each year

How many days/nights will your average RV outing be? Full Timer / 2-3 months / 2-3 days

How many consecutive nights in one campground? As long as they let me / maybe a week plus or minus / 1-2 days max

How many people will typically be staying in the RV? Always extra guests / sometimes extra guests / only us

Where are you going to go with your RV? Snowbird it / A few local parks / See the USA

At what type of campground will you normally camp? Everything provided / mix commercial & state/national parks / Boondocks

How important is space inside the RV? Room for everything / middle of road / multi-use all space

Bottom line - what works best for me won't work best for everyone - which is why there are so many types and sizes of RVs. A class B might work for the OP - but not for me, my DW and five cats.

JMHO

Don

Very good points from a fellow Texan! We just got back from a trip and never left the state. Ssw a Hooks game in CC, visited the historic district in Laredo, hiked in Seminole Canyon and the Davis Mtns, and saw lots of wildlife. Stayed exclusively in state parks.

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
The point here has been lost by the focus on hotels. The key is flexibility. For example, we have parked overnight in my brother's driveway in Tucson, at vacation rental houses with our kids in the Outer Banks of NC and Traverse City MI, and right on the street in Lincoln Park Chicago.

Yes, sometimes we stay in a hotel for the luxury after dry camping and hiking for a long time. Sometimes it is for location, we stayed right on the water in Miami Beach at the Marriott and in the middle of town in Victoria BC. The key is the freedom to stay where you want.

I am very surprised at the reactions of Class A owners on this post who are amazed that some of us actually prefer the small RV's and not because we can't afford a big one, because the fancy Class B's sure aren't cheap!

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
A few months back, a friend of mine was asking questions about our motorhome, as he and his wife were thinking about buying some type of RV, but really didn't know what he wanted. Gave him a few questions with a spectrum of answers (below) that he and his wife could discuss which might help guide them on what to pick. So far, they are still only planning.

How many days/nights a year do you plan to use the RV? Full Timer / 4-6 months total / a few weekends each year

How many days/nights will your average RV outing be? Full Timer / 2-3 months / 2-3 days

How many consecutive nights in one campground? As long as they let me / maybe a week plus or minus / 1-2 days max

How many people will typically be staying in the RV? Always extra guests / sometimes extra guests / only us

Where are you going to go with your RV? Snowbird it / A few local parks / See the USA

At what type of campground will you normally camp? Everything provided / mix commercial & state/national parks / Boondocks

How important is space inside the RV? Room for everything / middle of road / multi-use all space

Bottom line - what works best for me won't work best for everyone - which is why there are so many types and sizes of RVs. A class B might work for the OP - but not for me, my DW and five cats.

JMHO

Don

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We are back to a B+ after a few years in a TT. There were specific destinations that we wanted to visit and activities that we wanted to explore that made a "base camp" with a 4x4 truck work better for us than our Roadtrek. We knew we were getting to an age where we couldn't do those things anymore so wore out two TT's and two trucks trying to empty the bucket list. Sure enough, last October we had some changes in our health and were so glad that we bought the Villiago in September. We are loving the small life again. lizzie