Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing a Camper down a dirt / grass hill

roskowskim
Explorer
Explorer
All,

I'm afraid I will have to be a little vague due to the fact that I don't know the rise of the hill, but my question pertains to any advice for backing a trailer down a hill.

My wife and I planned on building a cabin on our land up north, but due to various circumstances, we've decided on buying a camper to park on the land. Unfortunately, our land is very hilly and we really only have one flat area to park the camper.

The flat spot is off the road, but down a hill. The hill probably stretches 40-50 feet and is probably 15 feet lower than the road. The hill is also grass / dirt (sometimes a little muddy, so we are waiting for a dry stretch).

The camper is a 21' Excel Hull and weighs between 3250-3500 lbs. Our vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Liberty--it has 4 wheel drive, hi and lo.

I'm a bit skeptical about backing the trailer down the hill, especially as there is little room for error. The bottom of the hill has a flat spot about 25-30 feet wide (where we will park the camper), but behind that spot is a creek. I'm terrified of the brakes locking up and parking the camper in the creek. We cannot drive straight down the hill because there would be no room for turn around for the Jeep.

It's probable that I haven't provided enough info for a solid answer, but anything would help (such as a simple NO! don't be stupid! or any tips)

My dad is a professional truck driver so he is going to back the camper down, but, as I said, I don't want to slide backward and mess up my vehicle / land in the creek.

Thanks! Apologies for the vagueness.
41 REPLIES 41

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Now that's funny........

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The camper is over at the RV dealer on consignment. The Liberty is now a toad behind a Prevost over in TN. The land is for sale, and the OP ran off with the hot little 19 year old honey he flagged down with a mudbuster F450. Her name was Daisey. Last name Duke.
Puma 30RKSS

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
So roskowskim, where is the camper??? Down the hill on the flat spot, or farther down the hill in the creek? Inquiring minds on the forum would like to know.....

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
fireman41 wrote:
Did any one mention tire chains.
If your going to do this chain up the Liberty.

Good idea.
Trailer is only 3500lbs though. You are in N WI, so If it seems that sketchy, flag down the first redneck you see with a 3/4 ton truck with mudders. Wave a case of Busch light in his face and he will back the trailer down there for you.

Need a 3/4 ton or bigger with a winch with chocked wheels (ALL 4), to be your anchor!

The ONLY 3,200#, is about what the Liberty weighs, you really don't want an OS moment where you loose them both.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Remember:
"Poor Decisions make Great Stories"

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO--get another, bigger TV, then have an anchor at the top-like another heavy truck. Once the grass gets to the point of "no grip," the Jeep might be a tail of the dog as the trailer heads to parts unknown.
This might stop any "pfftttss," finger wagging, and phrases like "I knew your brother was smarter then you."
Don't ask how I know these things.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fireman41 wrote:

Good idea.
Trailer is only 3500lbs though. You are in N WI, so If it seems that sketchy, flag down the first redneck you see with a 3/4 ton truck with mudders. Wave a case of Busch light in his face and he will back the trailer down there for you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ivylog wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Put it in 4 low and once you have backed the trailer over the edge put the tranny in low and use the gas pedal to control your decent.

Front end will still slide when you touch the brakes. even in 4x4, they are not locked together

Learn something new on here every day.:S

Lol, right? I've been doing it wrong all these years......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Put it in 4 low and once you have backed the trailer over the edge put the tranny in low and use the gas pedal to control your decent.

Front end will still slide when you touch the brakes. even in 4x4, they are not locked together

Learn something new on here every day.:S
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go for it ........ But set up the video camera first! Might as well get a lot of hits on youtube!
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
...You need a longer wheel base. .....

What does wheel base have to do with traction?

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I own a liberty & a wrangler and I wouldnt do it unless I was tethered to someones winch.

While camping in the white mountains, our site was a little down hill off the road. Perhaps a 4 or 5 ft drop. Getting in was easy but I couldnt get out, just spinning tires. I was towing with a 3/4 ton Suburban. Put it in 4 low first gear and we did it but barely as the ground was gravel and slightly damp. You wont. The Liberty is to light and though it has a good 4wd, its to short. You need a longer wheel base.

So before you have a big problem, hire someone to do it with a bigger rig and or have a tow truck cable you down and out.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the reason that spot by the creek is flat is that it has flooded there in the past.

Coolmom42 had it right on the nose.

I am glad you have another spot in mind, even if you have to clear it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.