cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing rear scissor jacks

kansas49er
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. We own a 2004 Fleetwood Wilderness 250RKS Travel Trailer.
It is quite low to the ground, and if we go thru much of a road dip, one or both rear scissor jacks rub the ground. I have replaced one (left side) once already, and need to replace it again, as it bent on impact with a deep dip in the road. I am wondering if there is something else that I could use, like perhaps some sort of jackstand that was removable when towing down the road. Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks so much for your consideration in answering.

Ed and Shirley
26 ft Wilderness pulled with Lincoln Navigator.
Fullon Newbie
2004 Wilderness 250RKS pulled by
2006 Lincoln Navigator
16 REPLIES 16

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
My reply was to the previous post about using screw top jack stands, tried to paste on that topic but???

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
kansas49er wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
First thing that comes to my mind, raise the trailer.

How would I go about that? That sounds pretty drastic and complicated?

Actually its a fairly easy job. Support the trailer, remove tires and wheels, remove the axles. Take them to a welding shop and have new spring perches welded on top of the axles. Take them home and reinstal them with the springs on top of the axle tubes. Put the tires back on, lower to the ground. You trailer is now about 5 inches higher off the ground.

Exactly my thought. In fact mine may be the same age. I had a tongue jack on a boat trailer fail and used one with blocks to release the hitch and keep it raised until I could replace the jack.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
kansas49er wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

Actually its a fairly easy job. Support the trailer, remove tires and wheels, remove the axles. Take them to a welding shop and have new spring perches welded on top of the axles. Take them home and reinstal them with the springs on top of the axle tubes. Put the tires back on, lower to the ground. You trailer is now about 5 inches higher off the ground.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You could always remove the jacks completely and just use these instead. These are time-tested, proven to work well, never wear out, and can serve more purposes than just stablizing your camper. I have a set of 4 that's probably 40 years old. They are identical to the one's sold today. Come in real handy lots of times. It would be worth it to pick up 4 of these anyway to have handy. I used mine (again), just last week to stablize my utility trailer so I could walk on it unhitched from the truck.

Click here.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBarca wrote:
kansas49er wrote:
I am wondering if there is something else that I could use, like perhaps some sort of jackstand that was removable when towing down the road. Any ideas? Anyone?

I have heard of these, never bought one or seen one in person

http://stores.saveajack.com/

I see them for sale on RV Upgrades. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Save-A-Jack-p/saj-u.htm

This method allows you to reuse your existing jack and convert it to a removable base.

Hope this helps

John

I installed these a few years ago and love them!

https://youtu.be/vBhRKmNNfZU
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
kansas49er wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

It involves remounting the axles so the leaf springs sit on top of them. New spring perches, etc. Definitely more involved than moving the jacks. Usually it's done by guys who boondock off-road and really need the extra clearance.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing to keep in mind is if you move them closer to the axles, the next time you hit a dip you may cause more damage to the under carriage of the trailer than if you have the stabilizer there to take the hit.

gdreese
Explorer
Explorer
I use the saveajack

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
kansas49er wrote:
I am wondering if there is something else that I could use, like perhaps some sort of jackstand that was removable when towing down the road. Any ideas? Anyone?

I have heard of these, never bought one or seen one in person

http://stores.saveajack.com/

I see them for sale on RV Upgrades. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Save-A-Jack-p/saj-u.htm

This method allows you to reuse your existing jack and convert it to a removable base.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

kansas49er
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

Fullon Newbie
2006 Lincoln Navigator

kansas49er
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how that mounts. It says weld, but I don;t see a weld plate?
Fullon Newbie
2006 Lincoln Navigator

kansas49er
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Is there enough room to bolt something like this to the side of the frame?

I am going to go look. That is another great idea. I think I know a good welder
Fullon Newbie
2006 Lincoln Navigator

kansas49er
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
First thing that comes to my mind is, can you mount them closer to the rear axle? Do they have to be way out there where they can be damaged?

I don;t know. Never thought of that. I mounted it where they had been mounted previously. I will go look, that sounds like a great idea!
Fullon Newbie
2006 Lincoln Navigator

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer