cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muffler needs replacing

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told my muffler and straps need to be replaced. The estimate for parts & labor will be about 1000.00. My question is is this a repair that a reasonably handy person with decent mechanical knowledge and skill could tackle on their own? Where would one source the parts? Normal parts store or online? It's a 2005 HR Ambassador with a Cummins 330 ISC engine.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
19 REPLIES 19

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Final update,
I didn't mention in my OP that the muffler was one of the reasons the motorhome failed a state inspection so I was compelled to deal with it. As previously stated I managed to get everything I needed from Amazon and my local parts store and the updated total cost is about 400.00 which is about a 600.00 savings over what the shop was going to charge. When I had everything removed I carefully checked the muffler for the whole I was told was there. Lo and behold there was none, just a glitch in the seam weld that was not letting any exhaust escape. In the end all I really should have had to get was a couple of straps, and an elbow at the outlet. Not sure whether an honest mistake was made or they intended to sell me something I didn't need. I took it in and got it rechecked and the inspection sticker. I told the manager that there was no hole but he wasn't very helpful and didn't want to hear it. Not sure how far I'll take it but for sure they won't get another cent of my business.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

The job, start to finish, took me about 1/2-3/4 of a day and I was having fun doing it.

Scott

Oh goodness! There is something terribly wrong with the floor in your shop. Too clean. Way too clean. And Painted? I would feel obligated to sweep it almost every day!

Seriously though, does that flaked paint floor chip when you use a floor jack and jackstands?

I'd better not let my wife see that picture. She likes to point out oil drips and drops after each project I complete.

Hey Sir,
Well, that floor was professionally done, about two weeks prior to us closing escrow. The house was brand new and so was the RV and two car garages, (obviously). I wanted that coating on there BEFORE anyone parked or drove on them. They did an outstanding job with Sherwin Williams Professional Epoxy Floor coating.

Now, about the "chips". Well, it's a seriously tough floor. We've now been here for three years and I've only got about 3-4 chips in it, at various places. You gotta look hard to find them. When I put the jacks down for leveling, I place some special, 12" x 12" x 2" thick blocks under each jack. That helps spread the load and, protects the floor. I do the same when I'm using Jack stands. It's so routine now that I don't even think about it when I'm about to do some or, any, heavy work. And I've done a heck of a lot of heavy work.

My floor jack has no effect on that floor. It rolls on it just fine and leaves no marks. Now, as for OIL AND GREASE etc. This is one primary reason I did this floor like this. I could pour the entire 19 quarts of used oil (black as could be) on it from the oil change on our Itasca Horizon C-7 330HP CAT and, it wouldn't even leave a mark. I've had a few mishaps and, when it's all wiped up, no one knows anything ever happened.

As for "cleaning and or sweeping every day", well, I kind-a take pride of that floor. It does get mopped every week. I pull out the coach and the two cars and our Honda Goldwing and, do it with a commmercial bucket and mop. The whole operation, including putting everything back, takes me about an hour. No big deal. I've laid down on that floor to check something under the truck, Jeep, motor home, bike and fell asleep, a few times. No biggie.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

The job, start to finish, took me about 1/2-3/4 of a day and I was having fun doing it.

Scott

Oh goodness! There is something terribly wrong with the floor in your shop. Too clean. Way too clean. And Painted? I would feel obligated to sweep it almost every day!

Seriously though, does that flaked paint floor chip when you use a floor jack and jackstands?

I'd better not let my wife see that picture. She likes to point out oil drips and drops after each project I complete.

Whokares2
Explorer
Explorer
Check around for a Fleet Pride store, they are very professional and will help you figure out what you need.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I found a Donaldson muffler on Amazon for 196.00. I also need clamps, bands, and an elbow and extension. All tolled I'll spend 300.00 or so and it'll be about 10 days before I see anything.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Update:
I got all the part #'s on Donaldson web site then called them. They said they won't sell parts to me and that I'd have to go through one of their distributors which means I'll pay full list price. I'm going to try to find another source online.

Check out:
RVCHASSISPARTS.COM
(This is Spartan's parts site)
Go to the "Exhaust Components" section

The Part Number for my muffler was: 0334-LL1 (MUFFLER W/CUMM ISC ENGINE) Current online price today is $172.73. Not sure if that's the one that you need, but yours is an ISC so it likely is. You can call them with the last six digits of your VIN and they will verify. They also handle Freightliner parts as well.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
About two years ago, I replaced mine myself on my 02 Dutch Star, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis. I ordered the replacement muffler right from Spartan. I believe that I paid something like $175./$200. or something like that. I installed it myself. Only took about a 1/2 hour/45 minutes including removal of the old muffler. All my clamps and pipes were in great shape so removal and installation was easy.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
I got all the part #'s on Donaldson web site then called them. They said they won't sell parts to me and that I'd have to go through one of their distributors which means I'll pay full list price. I'm going to try to find another source online.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new original replacement muffler from Newmar for about $425 & had a repair shop install it for about 150.00.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Sure glad the OP came back and updated his request for answers.
Scott

The motorhome is still in the shop, they are dragging their feet getting the rest of the work done that I had scheduled.It has been there for 11 days now and they are making excuses for the delay. They do good work but I think they take on more than they can handle so something has to give.
I have decided to take your advice Scott and get the muffler from Donaldson and install it myself however I have to wait until I get it back. I was going to update when I got the job done so I could report how it went. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I always try to give updates and feedback when I ask a question when appropriate. Thanks to all for the replies I really appreciate it. I will post when I get the muffler installed which will likely be a couple of weeks.

Roger that Sir,
So often, many folks don't bother posting results of something they've inquired about and fixed or, altered etc. Thanks for the update. As for the muffler work, I've been a "DIY" type for decades and, have learned to face challenge if and when it arises. Fortunately, the muffler job was not that much of a challenge. The muffler I ordered was a bit too long for my situation so, I chopped about 18" out of it.
It was no big deal as, the internal guts were not effected, only just the "CAN" part (outside). I simply tailored it to fit where I had room.
Now, on yours, if you're not handy in something like that, I'd recommend getting as close to the dimensions of the original one as possible. Both the wife and I are SO HAPPY that I got rid of that AERO 5050 XL stainless steel one. It was so loud. It's a motor home, not a dragster.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Scott

The motorhome is still in the shop, they are dragging their feet getting the rest of the work done that I had scheduled.It has been there for 11 days now and they are making excuses for the delay. They do good work but I think they take on more than they can handle so something has to give.
I have decided to take your advice Scott and get the muffler from Donaldson and install it myself however I have to wait until I get it back. I was going to update when I got the job done so I could report how it went. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I always try to give updates and feedback when I ask a question when appropriate. Thanks to all for the replies I really appreciate it. I will post when I get the muffler installed which will likely be a couple of weeks.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
I've been told my muffler and straps need to be replaced. The estimate for parts & labor will be about 1000.00. My question is is this a repair that a reasonably handy person with decent mechanical knowledge and skill could tackle on their own? Where would one source the parts? Normal parts store or online? It's a 2005 HR Ambassador with a Cummins 330 ISC engine.

wtmtnhiker,
I've done EXACTLY what you're thinking about. Muffler work is not rocket science. The only difference between doing it on a motor home and a car is, IT'S A LOT BIGGER! Now, yes, there are some things to think about, flow characteristics, inlet and outlet sizes and port locations etc. But, all in all, it's pretty straight forward stuff.

As for the Aero 5050 XL Stainless Steel straight through muffler, don't waist your time. Junk, PURE JUNK! I installed one and had iton there for about 2.5 years and many, many miles. Not one inch of added mpg. Not one micro amount of added torque and or horse power. All that was added was EXTRA NOISE!!!

Here's what you need to do.

1. Take all the dimensions of your existing muffler, pipe in and out and any angles etc.

2. Take note of any and all muffler clamps, hangers, position of all of those etc.

3. Make sure you take into account any additional piping (tubing) that may or, may not be needed in or out of that muffler and, the exhaust tip, is it bad and in need of repair or, can it be re-used.

Then, a call to DONALDSON MUFFLER will answer all your questions. Those folks are great. You tell them your engine/year/model and they will tell you the flow characteristics of it and, they will come up with variables in mufflers that will equate in flow and noise levels that, either are close to factory specs or, what you're willing to change to.

They were outstanding helping me. They emailed me about 4-5 different mufflers that would and or could work. I picked the one I wanted to work with. The one I chose, had all the flow and noise characteristics I wanted. I HATE NOISE!!!!

When it came down to it, it was a great project. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, was so seriously NOISY with that dumb-a$$ Aero 5050 on there I almost kicked it off out in the middle of the desert. But, I kept my cool, ordered up a new Donaldson muffler and,, all is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BETTER now, and seriously QUIETER.

There is ZERO power loss, no issues with turbo lag and or too much back pressure. All that was calculated in determining which muffler choices I could choose from.

And the very, VERY best part, that muffler was a whopping, $76.80

YAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOO!

Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should get 2nd or 3rd estimates.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.