cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have never had a Smore

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped over the years since grade school with my family, and now own a trailer as a 59 year old and continue to enjoy camping.

I have never had a Smore. In fact, I had to ask my friends how a Smore is made. People seemed shocked.

How many of you have never made or eaten a Smore?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
41 REPLIES 41

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,, we have been to the far reaches of Smores! Jumbo toasted coconut marshmallows, Hershey's Almond bars, with cinnamon graham crackers and a swipe of Skippy's! Kinda like a German Chocolate Reeses bar!! OMG!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Make mine Hershey's dark chocolate
x2. Prefer the dark.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once a year is enough for me as they are a bit too sweet as I get older. Make mine Hershey's dark chocolate and just a smidgen of PB. Best is golden brown and so melty the chocolate melts just a bit.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wow,, I never even imagined this would be an issue?? I am 57 and the Most important Items that has to be in the trailer is,Cinnamon Graham crackers,A large Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar, Jumbo marshmallows, and Skippy smooth peanut butter!
Yep, you read that right!
Spread a little PB on the GC! Thats just Heaven right there!!
I can do without a shower, or toilet paper, but No Smores? Might as well just hook up the truck and Go Home!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Wow, it's a basic nutritional item for camping -

Nutritional item..:R

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a smor until I was in my mid 50's, found them way to sweet for me.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Sooo glad to hear I'm not alone on the pie iron thunk.
Sold the two I had 2 years back and nevah looked back, LOL.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never did the pie irons, etc. My Mom was never a big one for specialized gadgets to make special food for the kids. We ate what everyone else ate.

I've read all the "recipes" for the irons and I can't say I feel like I missed anything.

With s'mores, I think if you didn't eat them as a kid, you will not care for them as an older adult. They aren't an acquired taste - it's almost the opposite. They are made to the taste preferences of little kids. If you start young, the emotional memories of them will override your older tastebuds (at least for one or two). But if you never ate them as a kid, then there are no emotional memories to override your tastebuds dislike of that pure sugar. It's like rock candy, cotton candy, pixie sticks, etc. - adult tastebuds just don't get the same enjoyment out of straight sugar (remember as a kid you could eat sugar cubes by the handful).

Now I do have an aunt who has been known to keep a jar of marshmallow fluff and a spoon hidden under her bed for late night snacktimes. I suspect she could still eat a small army's supply of s'mores.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
Age 62 here and I cannot remember when I first had a s'more, it was a long time ago.

I seldom eat them and only bring the ingredients when we camp with grandkids. For a unique variation, use a York peppermint patty rather than the chocolate.

What is next? Will you tell us you have never used a pie iron? :B

Pie iron? Yeah, that is another useless dead weight I must drag along..

DW at one time recalled her family used to make "mountain pies" using one of those pie irons.. SO.. We must get one..

Used it ONCE and DW realized that things you ate when a child does not always translate into all that great when you are an adult..

The end product was a burnt on the outside piece of toast with barely warm apple pie filling inside..

Would rather have real pie crust with good homemade apple pie filling!

Needless to say our pie iron, was used once and has never seen a camp fire since but has many road miles over the last 15 yrs of camping..

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Age 62 here and I cannot remember when I first had a s'more, it was a long time ago.

I seldom eat them and only bring the ingredients when we camp with grandkids. For a unique variation, use a York peppermint patty rather than the chocolate.

What is next? Will you tell us you have never used a pie iron? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I have camped over the years since grade school with my family, and now own a trailer as a 59 year old and continue to enjoy camping.

I have never had a Smore. In fact, I had to ask my friends how a Smore is made. People seemed shocked.

How many of you have never made or eaten a Smore?

I like graham crackers, Hershey chocolate and fire roasted golden brown to perfection marshmallows SEPARATELY.. Together, Meh..

My DW and DD however could make an entire meal out of that overly sickly sweet and sticky combination :E .. Kind of a revolting taste to me..

Even more revolting is the version that also includes peanut butter or Reeses peanut butter cups :h

NEVER heard of them until my DD went to Girl Scout Camps and my DW tagged along as help a couple of years :M ..

I eat my version as separate "parts" and DW and DD smash them together.. We all end up "happy" :B

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
I love sweets, but I can only eat one. Try it with a Hershey Peanut Butter cup - yummy! Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had never heard of one until my wife and I got together. She grew up eating them so was as shocked as many of the folks on here at others not ever having had one.

We still have them on rare occasions, but only when the grand-chillins are around and we are having a fire on the patio. (like: once every 2-3 years)

I've never been a fan, as much of a sweet tooth I have.

Great stories!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I have never, and will never. Reasons; it doesn't look good, I never have a campfire, and there's lot's of other things I love to eat,.....like home-made apple pie and home-made strawberry shortcake,.....which we usually make while out "camping" in our big motorhome.

Over 70 here, and I'll go along with Cloud Dancer. Never had one and would much prefer a piece of Apple or even better Blackberry Pie!!
I really dont dislike smores they are just too messy. Now my wife makes me rasberry and strawberry pies while camping! That I will have "Smore of" anytime!