cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banks Power exhaust system

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you who Have this on your RV's are actually using the 97 Octane gas they recommend. I always use 87 Octane regular and have never believed in using premium.

Does it really make a difference with the banks system???
27 REPLIES 27

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Banks system. I would strongly suggest if anyone is getting one installed to have them wrap the exhaust BEFORE they install it. The floor boards in most of the E450 is hot enough as it is, but after you install the Banks it gets hotter. I re-insulated the dog house and under the carpets and will pick it up tomorrow after having a mechanic friend wrap all the exhaust (he could reach) back to the Cat Converter. Almost impossible to get to all the exhaust manifold pieces once installed.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Good News, yea that 5 Star tuning does wonders to how it shifts, plus with the Banks system installed as well you can even pull a heavier load when ever needed, just make sure your hitch can handle it.

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from a 5000 mile trip and it worked great. NO problem going up super steep hills. Usually dropped one gear and then did great.

2006 Forest River Lexington 283 GTS 29' towing a Toyota Camry.

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove from Phx to Yellowstone with the banks power system and the 5 star tuner and couldn't be happier. Not once did it search for gears going up hills.
Banks says their system is designed to run on 87 octane and that's what we use anyway.
No problem doing 55 mph up 6% grades and getting anywhere from 5- 8.5 mph depending on how many hills . All while driving a 29' class C and towing a Toyota Camry.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We've used 87 octane with our Banks from the day it was installed. Never an issue. We're running a 2004 with the big block Chevy engine that Chevy doesn't make anymore.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:

Well, I have just sent a lengthy query to Banks Engineering requesting their help in determining if I have the Banks tune loaded. I do believe that the tune was loaded, but the PO just never received the tuner, or if he did he may have displaced it not knowing what it is for.
I may be interested in trying out the 5Star Tune. I wonder how it compares to what I am currently running? Has anyone ever tried both tunes - and if so, what is your preference?

I have not tried both but 5 Star is more adapt for a motorhome where as Banks tuner is set for any HD truck/motorhome, just do a search about 5 Star tuner and you will see how everyone says its the best money spent for HP and trans shifting improvements.

Banks exhaust system is great and their tuners seem to be more on the race mode side..

Also 5 Star tuner works with 87 octane where as Banks might require 93 octane.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
DryCreek wrote:
Is there any way to tell if the Banks tune was uploaded into your ECM?

The 5 Star tuner will tell you if it has a different program than stock, stock program will read HD Ford Super Duty on the 5 Star tuner, the 5 Star is the best tuner for motorhomes, Banks exhaust/headers/air intake is a great system but their tuner is sort of a race mode type, 5 Star is better for motorhomes, especially the Ford chassis.

Just my opinion.

Well, I have just sent a lengthy query to Banks Engineering requesting their help in determining if I have the Banks tune loaded. I do believe that the tune was loaded, but the PO just never received the tuner, or if he did he may have displaced it not knowing what it is for.
I may be interested in trying out the 5Star Tune. I wonder how it compares to what I am currently running? Has anyone ever tried both tunes - and if so, what is your preference?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ostbob wrote:
Should receive the 5 star today and they said it has an 87 octane choice when setting it up.

Won't be able to give an update on how it works until we get to a place that has internet in a few days. There will be some good hills between here and where were heading so a great test of the system.

If you got the 5 speed transmission it will improve a lot and with that Banks system your motorhome will get right up a large hill like a diesel in 3rd gear while towing a toad at 45 plus mph..

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Should receive the 5 star today and they said it has an 87 octane choice when setting it up.

Won't be able to give an update on how it works until we get to a place that has internet in a few days. There will be some good hills between here and where were heading so a great test of the system.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"ostbob".....I think you'll be very pleased with the power and shifting of the 5 Star tune.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Just what I want...the stress of adding a Banks system days before I leave for Yellowstone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Have the 5 star ordered and should be here tomorrow. Just in time for our 5000+ mile trip to Yellowstone etc. If I remember when I return I will update this posting with how it performed.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
Is there any way to tell if the Banks tune was uploaded into your ECM?

The 5 Star tuner will tell you if it has a different program than stock, stock program will read HD Ford Super Duty on the 5 Star tuner, the 5 Star is the best tuner for motorhomes, Banks exhaust/headers/air intake is a great system but their tuner is sort of a race mode type, 5 Star is better for motorhomes, especially the Ford chassis.

Just my opinion.

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
What I have is a 2006 Forest River Lexington 283 GTS with the E450 chassis and the V10 engine. When I hear back from Banks I will post an update. I think I need to check on the 5 star and see if that does anything to the shifting.