Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV world...am stressing out.

Godd002
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My uncle purchased a class A motor home (1997 beaver) from a friend. My uncle then basically was taken to the hospital from there and didnt come out. So now I have inherited the RV that he had planned on us using. I have no idea how to drive, run, or turn on a RV.
My biggest issue is right now that it is in Florida and I am in Kansas. I know the unit has been sitting with a full tank of diesel and new batteries when needed for the past 4 years but hasnt been driven. i realize i need to get it somewhere to have all the oil and filters changed and an inspection, as well as tires most likely. it also has a leak in the sky light above the shower so i need that area repaired.
So the issue I am running into is that no place locally seems to be able to do all of these issues. some do the engine work, some only the cabin. I think there is a place about 45 miles away that could do it all in one stop.
so my question is, what is the likely hood of a bunch of algae in the fuel and causing problems if i try to drive 45 miles away? Or is it better to take it to a local place that is 10 miles away and get the oil and hopefully fuel taken care of and then go somewhere for the other issues. Since i live so far away i was hoping to fly in and take it somewhere and give them a few weeks and then go back. Any advise on what i should do?
thank you.
33 REPLIES 33

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know, maybe I'm old and remember when things were built well and worth fixing most of the time. A 18 year old Beaver if it is sound other than non-use for four years could and probably is a real find. Beaver and Foremost were absolutely top of the line rigs and I would look at it before it was declared DOA.

As the OP mentioned, tires, fluids, brakes all need checking especially the area of the leak over the shower. I'd spend a few hundred having things checked out and then make a decision. Then again, if the owner isn't really interested in RVing, there are bound to be a lot of folks that would love a shot at it.

I would at least hire a mobile diesel shop to look at the rig and see if it can be started. If it was in So Cal, I'd be there today to look at it.

So good luck and if you join the lifestyle, have fun.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If you had really old gas from years ago, it is entirely possible it was the "good" gas that we used to get.

How much old gas are you talking about? I have mixed old gas with new gas and run it in lawn mowers. Maybe 1 gallon old fuel with 5 or 6 gallons new fuel. Don't want to run it in modern vehicle engines in case the fuel causes issues... lawn mower engines are a lot easier (and cheaper) to cleanout / fix.

Gasoline evaporates so quickly that usually all the fire department does at a small gas spill is put some cat litter / speedy dry on it. Most fire departments don't really do any "cleanup" of stuff like that - they make sure it is contained and as safe as possible, then their job is done. A large spill may require calling a hazmat cleanup company, but that's not for a few gallons.

Also, try contacting your local garbage dump / recycling center - they may have an "old fuel" tank/container you can pour it into, or should know what to do with it.

Then, of course, there is the old school way - just pour out the old gasoline in a gravel area and let it evaporate. But of course no one would suggest doing that...

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BillW44 wrote:

I really question the whole "old fuel" thing.

You have been lucky.

Basing conclusions ONLY on your personal experience often leads to totally incorrect assumptions.

Others have experienced trouble with stale fuel; a REALLY LOT of them.
The fuel makers even warn against it.
Why do you feel that it is wise to ignore ALL of that evidence ???

Hint: It isn't wise.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

BillW44
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
I know OP seems "gone", but thought I would throw this out there in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation wrt the fuel issue.

I have seen "FUEL POLISHING SERVICES" being used quite a bit in the Marine Industry. A quick search and its also used in construction as well. For someone with upwards of 100 gallons of old/stale/dirty fuel in an RV, it could worthwhile to get this done. Just a thought.

I really question the whole "old fuel" thing. I had really old gas in an RV (years old) although I treated it once or twice. Didn't cause any issues for me. And it's not easy to dispose of either. I talked to the fire dept and they just shrugged.

BillW44
Explorer
Explorer
And keep in mind there is a lot of age discrimination on rigs out there in a lot of parks. So if you plan on staying in parks keep in mind the rig's year. If you're just going to park it on some land longterm to use as an extra home then no problem.

BillW44
Explorer
Explorer
Beavers are actually really well built RVs. A little love and care and you may just have a gem. Won't take you long to get a feel for it. Just be sure to spend $100 on road assistance.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
I know OP seems "gone", but thought I would throw this out there in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation wrt the fuel issue.

I have seen "FUEL POLISHING SERVICES" being used quite a bit in the Marine Industry. A quick search and its also used in construction as well. For someone with upwards of 100 gallons of old/stale/dirty fuel in an RV, it could worthwhile to get this done. Just a thought.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
he gone....
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Original Poster. Who may have run away by now.

Allworth wrote:
OP??

OP??
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Beaver is a nice coach. If it's had any normal maintenance, it's probably worth at least fixing it up enough to sell it. Not many around and there is a demand. Probably a Magnum chassis and CAT engine with an Allison. This is a great combination.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Wow!! So many doom and gloom folks here. Sitting 4 years is not that big of a deal.

Stop with the "gloom and doom" criticism.
It is called being realistic.

Diesel fuel that has been sitting in the Florida heat for FOUR YEARS is almost certainly turned to jelly by now, at least partly.

Your pronouncement that the situation is "no big deal" is just short sighted and NOT good advice.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Godd002 wrote:
Any advise on what i should do?
thank you.

I see that there are 3 pages of responses already.....but here's my opinion:
You should get it to a consignment dealer near to where it is now and SELL IT ASAP. Understanding that because of it's age and condition you might not get very much for it; probably less than he paid.

Given your situation, I think that is the only practical thing to do.
Trying to salvage it and use it yourself is likely to put YOU in the hospital. Really.

(Now to see what others have said.)
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
OP??

OP??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bird Freak wrote:
Wow!! So many doom and gloom folks here. Sitting 4 years is not that big of a deal. Previous owner before your uncle was his friend. He may have put tires on it shortly before your uncle got it. Fuel should be fine. Is there any chance of getting in touch with him to ask a few questions or maybe have him check it out for you? Who would be better than a friend who also was the previous owner?

Agreed, but the OP left a lot to the imagination.
On one hand, it could be a good inheritance, but since none of us, or the OP has a clue what's up with it, it is fair to warn someone who's ignorant to the costs and operation of a large machine with a house on the back that the costs could be significant to get it road worthy and inhabitable.
Similar climates for moisture, I can say most RVs up here if just parked and left out under the trees for 4 years would be about ready for the scrap heap......after you cut it out of the blackberries!
Water damage, damage to mechanical systems from sitting that long and rodent damage round out the top 3. Heck we have a cat that is a killing machine and still have mouse problems. Our house had been unoccupied for just over a year when we bought it here in WA and within another year, burning it down would have been the better solution than remediating mouse and rat damage. As it was, spent $thousnads and days taking care of the damage.

Or it could be sitting in a dry shop, batteries pulled, properly pickled, 10 bags of dryer sheets and moth balls inside and the keys hanging on a nail by the door with operating instructions and a fresh coat of wax under the dust.

2 completely different scenarios and we don't know.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold