cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RV'ing - Big Trip - Would LOVE some thoughts!!

jeepin911
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Have read a ton on here, but first post. I am new to RV'ing but got the last minute chance to take a two month trip - so heading out for a June/July trip west. My goal is to visit quite a few of the National parks and a few other places. I certainly realize we won't be able to get into the parks to stay but hoping we can stay nearby and drive in for the days.

I am driving a 35' class A and pulling a 4-door Jeep and traveling with wife and 2 kids (8 & 10). I feel pretty comfortable with everything in our shakedown trips, but still a little nervous about mountain driving with RV and TOAD.

Would welcome ANY advice on routes to take (less mountains the better since i'm new at this), places to go (not even the parks are set in stone at this point), and places to stay from this experienced group. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!!!

Cincinnati St. Louis (1 night) 370 Miles
St Louis Hutchenson, KS (1 night) 461 miles
Hutchenson, KS to Colorado Springs (1 night) 449 miles
Colorado Springs to RMNP (3 nights) 168 Miles
RMNP to Great Sand Dunes (1 night) 258 miles
Great Sand Dunes to Durango (3 nights) 167 Miles
Durango to MOAB/ARCHES (3 nights) 161 Miles
MOAB/ARCHES to BRYCE Canyon (4 nights) 283 Miles
BRYCE Canyon to Vegas (1 night) 268 Miles
Vegas to Yosemite (4 nights) 409 Miles
Yosemite to Sonoma (3 nights) 240 Miles
Sonoma to Redwood NP (3 nights) 258 Miles
Redwood NP to Crater Lake NP (3 nights) 256 Miles
Crater Lake NP to North Cascades NP (4 nights) 542 Miles
North Cascades NP to Glacier NP (4 nights) 535 Miles
Glacier NP to Yellowstone NP (5 nights) 426 Miles
Yellowstone NP to Devils Tower NP (2 nights) 361 miles
Devils Tower NP to Teddy Rosevelt NP (3 nights) 228 miles
Teddy Rosevelt NP to Minneapolis (1 night) 570 miles
Minneapolis to Mackinaw, MI (3 nights) 510 miles
Mackinaw, MI to Cincinnati, OH
71 REPLIES 71

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WOW good for you guys!!! KEEP the RV, it is the best way to visit places and to enjoy yourselves in my opinion!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jeepin911 wrote:
Just wanted to give an update - made several adjustments along the way and are now in Oregon ๐Ÿ™‚ We have been having a blast!! Seems we are good as a family with 2-3 nights in most places (vs. 4-5) and have been moving right along with no divorces or rebelling kids in sight - LOL We did skip CA but have made it to the west coast - will see the PAC ocean tomorrow!

We are loving ALL the national parks! We LOVED Colorado (Ridgeway, Ourway, Telluride, Silverton) - Soooo much fun, thanks for that advice!!

here is where we have gone so far and tentative plans after that. Would still welcome any advice.

Completed:
Cincinnati to St. Louis (1 night) Arch - City Museum was AMAZING
St Louis to Topeka, KS (1 night) Topeka is kind of a dump.
Topeka, KS to Dodge City, KS (1 night) nothing special really - small museum
Dodge City, KS to Colorado Springs, CO - Garden of the Gods, Train to Pikes Peak - we loved CO Springs!
Colorado Springs, CO to Ridgeway, CO (5 nights) Telluride, Ourway, Silverton, Jeep Trails, Mine Tour, Black Canyon, ghost towns. Sooo much to do and see here in perfect weather!!
Ridgeway, CO to ARCHES/MOAB NP (4 nights) Arches NP (fiery furnace hike was awesome!), Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Pt, drove Shafer Trail! 4x4 fun!
ARCHES/MOAB NP to BRYCE NP (2 nights) Hiked into Ampitheater - loved the Hoodoos!
BRYCE NP to ZION NP (2 nights) Hiked the Narrows! So beautiful but crowded!
ZION NP to Salt Lake City (2 nights) Park City, Downtown, was ok
Salt Lake City to Minnewaka, NV (1 night) Drove down the Doherty Slide!
Minnewaka, NV to Crater Lake NP (2 nights) Hiked Crater Lake - Beautiful!
Crater Lake NP to Portland (2 nights) Downtown Portland, Columbia River Gorge, Hood River. Great City!

Coming up:
Hood River to Olympic NP (3 nights) considering stopping at Mt. Ranier on the way.
Olympic NP to Seattle, WA (2 nights) See the City (pikes, space needle, etc)
Seattle to Half way to Glacier NP (1 night) going through Cascades NP
Half Way to Glacier to Glacier NP(4 nights) Hike Glacier and area
Glacier to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (see as much of YS/GT as possible)
Yellowstone to either Custer Area or T. Rosevelt NP. (Welcome opinions here)
Across MN, WI, up to Mackinaw, down through MI back to OH (anything to see on the way?)

Loving RV'ing and all the special time i am getting with together with our family. It really makes me want to keep the RV (plan was to sell when we returned) but hard to overcome the depreciation logic of owning one when we wont have this kind of time to use in the future. Who knows - we'll see!!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and help as we got started on this!

Back at work ?

No Update?

Hope it all turned out for the Best.

Will hope you get time to update.

Just checking back in.

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jeepin911 wrote:
Just wanted to give an update - made several adjustments along the way and are now in Oregon ๐Ÿ™‚ We have been having a blast!! Seems we are good as a family with 2-3 nights in most places (vs. 4-5) and have been moving right along with no divorces or rebelling kids in sight - LOL We did skip CA but have made it to the west coast - will see the PAC ocean tomorrow!

We are loving ALL the national parks! We LOVED Colorado (Ridgeway, Ourway, Telluride, Silverton) - Soooo much fun, thanks for that advice!!

here is where we have gone so far and tentative plans after that. Would still welcome any advice.

Completed:
Dodge City, KS to Colorado Springs, CO - Garden of the Gods, Train to Pikes Peak - we loved CO Springs!
Colorado Springs, CO to Ridgeway, CO (5 nights) Telluride, Ourway, Silverton, Jeep Trails, Mine Tour, Black Canyon, ghost towns. Sooo much to do and see here in perfect weather!!
Ridgeway, CO to ARCHES/MOAB NP (4 nights) Arches NP (fiery furnace hike was awesome!), Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Pt, drove Shafer Trail! 4x4 fun!
ARCHES/MOAB NP to BRYCE NP (2 nights) Hiked into Ampitheater - loved the Hoodoos!
Crater Lake NP to Portland (2 nights) Downtown Portland, Columbia River Gorge, Hood River. Great City!

Coming up:
Hood River to Olympic NP (3 nights) considering stopping at Mt. Ranier on the way.
Across MN, WI, up to Mackinaw, down through MI back to OH (anything to see on the way?)

Loving RV'ing and all the special time i am getting with together with our family. It really makes me want to keep the RV (plan was to sell when we returned) but hard to overcome the depreciation logic of owning one when we wont have this kind of time to use in the future. Who knows - we'll see!!

Sounds like it is working for you - Jelous - Hoping you are taking 1,000's of PICTURES - this is the trip of a lifetime you will want the Memories.

Sounds great- might just love the Coast when you get to Olympic NP - Between the Rocks on the Beach and the Cascades - Washington gets very Inviting - Don't forget to Pick up some GOOD WINES while you are in the area- Timing looks good for Glacier - Going to the Sun Road is still not open - SNOW - but should be soon - Sounds and looks like you are now a Master RV'er - don't let the crowds get you down in Yellowstone - Get up early, no Really Early - beat them to the Punch and then hike into the Park - the Falls - the Pools - The Beartooth - all will call you - Then the MT Rushmore at Dusk - Custer State Park - Jewel Cave - Sylvan Lake.

It may be me - but once you leave Custer - The rest is just getting home - no need to bank any time - while all these areas may have some special places - they all tend (IMHO) to pale after the trip out West.

Hoping you got the Jeep on a few of the Trails in the San Juan's - Heaven.

Will be interesting to see what the Family enjoyed? Might pose the question when you get home - ranking the areas of the Country - Utah is a great Winter - Fall - Spring - Vacation - less people - More FUN - As Yellowstone is also just so Crowded.

When all is said and done - work a collage, of places and Family and give it to your Boss - let him know how great he is for allowing you to re-energize - maybe more can follow your lead - post again soon - just EPIC!

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Mesa Verde National Park near Durango. A Hot air balloon ride at Pagosa Springs would be fun.
pawatt

jeepin911
Explorer
Explorer

Completed:

Coming up:

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
jeepin911, I just noticed your thread this morning. I'm glad to see you made adjustments, but also glad that you didn't scale down as much as the original crowd was suggesting!

In 2014, we did our first long trip in a similar situation to yours. The link is in my sig and you may find it helpful to read. I'm also posting segments of the trip on youtube.

in 2014, we were hustling for sure. Most said it was ambitious for our timeframe. Yes, we were exhausted. Yes, we left a few places sooner than we'd have liked. But that trip will forever be an incredible memory for us as yours will be for you! No matter how you do it.

I say plow ahead and the trip will take shape better once on the road. Our first trip was reserved every single night, the next was about half reserved. This year, all we know is we are heading west! It is scary, but we're realizing something about these trips...there's more to them than the places.

Best wishes for your trip. May your family create memories for the ages!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

grant135b
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of our first big trip after we bought our MH back in the spring of 2006. We did only two weekend shakedowns to local parks before setting sail from Columbus, Ohio for an 8,500 mile, five week circle of the west with our two young sons (7 and 10 at the time), all the way to the west coast and back in our 35' MH pulling a Saturn toad.

We went westbound via the Dakotas (TR NP and Black Hills/Rushmore), Wyoming (Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Teton), Montana (Little Bighorn), and to the Oregon/ Washington coast (Fort Clatsop), then all the way down the coastal states via Redwoods and Sequoia NPs. We spent a few days in SF and several days in the LA area doing various touristy things and going to the beaches, then headed east hitting Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, and the Grand Canyon on the way back home to Ohio.

We did it all in five weeks and everything went well with no problems at all other than regular gasoline prices averaging $4 per gallon back then for the entire trip (yikes). We loved pretty much every minute of it. I was so glad we got to do something like that (and a similar month-long trip the next summer to New England) while our boys were young and while we still had their mom with us. Unfortunately she was diagnosed with stage four cancer in 2011 and we lost her in 2015 in only her 40s. Our boys are now grown young men.

I have no comments on your proposed itinerary, just good luck. Go and make some great family memories while you can.
Fleetwood Pace Arrow, USAF/SAC Vet (KC-135A, B-52D)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Pink or Red ribbon for the TV antennae, if it is used.

Card with check off list for TOAD - Don't want to blow the Trans or burn up the Emergency brakes.

Clothes
Boots and tennis shoes and flip flops
Fleece and Rain Gear
T shirts
Shorts
two pairs of pants
Lot's of Underwear
toothbrush
flashlight
Camera
Hat to cover your ears
Woods Deet 40

the rest you can get if needed along the way.

Getting Close.....................!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

jeepin911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice guys - I haven't stopped posting, just been really busy with:
Oil changes for Motorhome
Generator Service
Tow bar and baseplate installation W/ Brakes
Route planning
Booking places to stay (almost through June - on to July) Still need to sort out ZION...
Figuring out activities and fun side trips (found too many in CO and UT to ever do ๐Ÿ™‚ )
And trying to get through transition at work.

Been wheeling the RV around town to get used to it and did a few test runs with water, electric, generator, etc.. So far no major issues (knock wood).

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
.......I always have a supply of clothes pegs available just in case.

We always carry a bag of clothesline clips / pegs. Amazing how convenient they can be for a bunch of different things.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that the soap pods work great for camping. It is a lot easier to carry a few pods to the laundry than a big jug of liquid detergent.
Just keep pods you are about to take to laundry in a sandwich bag just in case you break one accidently.

Also, what about dryer sheets - much easier to use than liquid fabric softener
Have you packed any clothes pegs and clothesline for drying wet bathing suits, etc. Also handy is a small clothes line installed in the shower. Provides a place to hang wet rain coats where they can drip.

X 2 with a few changes. Store the pods in a Tupperware container. Protects them from being squished. Easy to carry back and forth. I would recommend a small clothes drying rack for towels, bathing suits, raincoats. It can easily be moved outside.

Best thing to bring and an absolute necessity-your sense of adventure. Keep it handy at all times. Be willing to switch gears quickly if necessary. Rain is not the enemy-you can to splash in puddles or build mud castles. Don't look for perfection-it will find you. Too many expectations can lead to major letdowns.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
WRT Laundry Soap - I have found that the soap pods work great for camping. It is a lot easier to carry a few pods to the laundry than a big jug of liquid detergent.
Just keep pods you are about to take to laundry in a sandwich bag just in case you break one accidently.

Also, what about dryer sheets - much easier to use than liquid fabric softener
Have you packed any clothes pegs and clothesline for drying wet bathing suits, etc. Also handy is a small clothes line installed in the shower. Provides a place to hang wet rain coats where they can drip.

Some campgrounds have clotheslines which I like to use when possible. I always have a supply of clothes pegs available just in case.

I would also add a small spray bottle of Awesome for cleaning just about everything. Get it at Dollar Tree.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Trip is coming together - Now what to Take - a whole New Project...:?

Here's a web site that provides all kinds of "lists". It might even have some you've not even though about yet. Check it out:
Click here.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I'd bring life jackets to the places you're going. If you rent a boat they'll supply them.

Bikes? You're going to be too busy and too tired.

Basketball? Most likely, no court in campgrounds. They also make a lot of repetitive noise for other campers if doing it in the street.

Iron? Definitely NO! Campers aren't neat! ๐Ÿ™‚ You can even wear the same outer clothes more than once if not muddy, etc. That's the joy of camping. You won't see the same people all the time so they won't care what you're wearing and won't know that you wore it yesterday!!

Otherwise, everything looks good. Just wondering..... do you have a job or is this trip planning it? You've probably spent a lot of time on this. Call it quits. Things probably won't go as planned anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel