cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RM Even Brake vs BO Patriot

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have always trailered our trail jeep behind our truck camper/F350 DRW, but now we have a stock 2015 Jeep Rubicon that we plan on flat towing.

I'm looking at two different supplemental brake systems and wonder if anyone has any comments on one vs the other.

Roadmaster Even Brake RM9400
and
Blue Ox Patriot BRK2012 (I'm leaning towards this one).

I've never flat towed before, so this supplemental braking is new to me. I assume nobody make one that would operate with my Ford factory brake controller that worked very well with my electric trailer brakes?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
BradW
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
16 REPLIES 16

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still need the extension.

About 2" difference.

Not in the way of steps.

Can be stowed to the left and does not interfere with door.
Wake Up America

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setup. I was thinking of something similar. Did you still require a 24" extension given the built in extension of the surge brake?

How is the height match wrt hitch and baseplate?

Does it get in the way of your rear steps?

Can it be put in a stowed position?

Bob

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

Towed our JK to Silverton, Co and back (about 3,000 miles). I had to make a slight adjustment to the brake cable after about 100 miles. Everything worked flawlessly after that, even when driving in city traffic and over several high mtn passes in Colorado.

Thanks for the suggestion on the NSA tow bar and brake system, I am really happy with it.
Wake Up America

Y-Guy
Thanks that matches up with what I've heard, I couldn't find much of anything on the BO one so hearing your feedback tells me I need to keep planning on the NSA one.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've bought a lot of Blue Ox stuff; mainly from E-Trailer. I've always had good luck with BO stuff and excellent service from E-Trailer. I had intended to buy the BO version. But I read some bad reviews of the Blue Ox version of the Ready Brake. One review said that even factory could not get it to work right.

Lots of good reviews out there on the NSA Ready Brake. Their design seems simple and robust. I like simple and robust; it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Wake Up America

Y-Guy
Good deal! All the Jeepers that have them seem to like the setup. Curious why you went with the ReadyBrake vs the BlueOx?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Ready Brake Elite about 95 percent installed. Took more time than I thought, but much of it was due to my aftermarket Poison Spyder front bumper. I ended up removing the driver side fender liner, which made it a lot easier to see what I was doing. I will post some photos later. So far, I like the looks of it.

Brad
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
DryCreek wrote:
Have you considered using the NSA Ready Brake or Blue Ox AutoStop surge systems? They are a low cost all-mechanical solution that offer proportional braking.

I ordered one of these yesterday. Lots of good reviews with very few complaints.

Thanks for the suggestion,
BradW
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonder why its so much cheaper? I still got a lot of googling to do.

http://www.blueox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/BX7370-1.pdf
Wake Up America

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
The more I look at that set up, the more I like it. I have not bought a tow bar yet, so I would get the whole thing. I was looking at the Russo video and I like the way the tow arms can fold all the way to one side to allow access to my truck camper door.

If you are looking to save some money, Blue Ox has their Auto Stop setup on the Alpha tow. It looks to work about the same and costs quite a bit less than the NSA Ready Brute Elite.

Blue Ox BX7370 Alpha

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
DryCreek wrote:
Yes, we have the NSA Ready Brute Elite set up for our JK.

The more I look at that set up, the more I like it. I have not bought a tow bar yet, so I would get the whole thing. I was looking at the Russo video and I like the way the tow arms can fold all the way to one side to allow access to my truck camper door.
Wake Up America

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:

Yep. I have done some research on both of those systems. They do seem simpler and there are many happy users. Is that what you have?

We will be towing our 2015 Wrangler behind our 2006 F-350 DRW / truck camper with a 24" receiver extension.

Yes, we have the NSA Ready Brute Elite set up for our JK. I ran the surge brake cable for it. Our YJ should be light enough (and never hauled more than 75 miles) to forego adding the surge brake cable for a few months.

If you already have a tow bar, then you can go to the NSA site and order the NSA Ready Brake. It acts like your extension and allows you to add a drop/rise receiver hitch and ball to use a standard A-Frame type tow bar.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
DryCreek wrote:
Have you considered using the NSA Ready Brake or Blue Ox AutoStop surge systems? They are a low cost all-mechanical solution that offer proportional braking.

Yep. I have done some research on both of those systems. They do seem simpler and there are many happy users. Is that what you have?

We will be towing our 2015 Wrangler behind our 2006 F-350 DRW / truck camper with a 24" receiver extension.
Wake Up America

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer