Explorer
Explorer
i saw an old RV in someones backyard and i am curious what it could be worth:
1972 Amigo motorhome w/Dodge drivetrain
15 REPLIES 15

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tell him to give you $500 to haul it away !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bmac1x
Explorer
Explorer
the owner wants $500.00 for it

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Although the pics show an old coach in reasonable shape, there's no way anyone will be able to tell you how much without looking at it. I did a quick search on RVT, RVTrader and all Craigslist and there were none for sale.

This site has a few of the same type and vintage, ranging from $200 - $14000

What do you want to do with it? Are you looking for a project or to take it around the country? Weekend trips or snowbirding to Arizona? Is it even for sale? Have you asked the owner what he would take for it?

As an owner of a 21 year old DP, I can tell you this for sure. You have to be handy, are if you're not, you have to have a lot of discretionary income.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
I used to build Amigos back in the early 70s. They were built in San Marcus California. They were the Cadillac of motorhomes back in the day. Amigos were the only motorhome in those days that had a steel welded coach frame, all the others were wood frame built (like a house). The siding was riveted aluminum with fiberglass end caps. All were built on the Dodge chassis with the exception of a very few Chevys. We only built 2 a week when all others manufacturers were cranking out 1 a day. The price was $25,000, which was a lot back then. We had a final inspection guy that drove every one of them home every night and back the next morning until the next one rolled off the line. The gas crunch in the 70s was the demise of Amigo Motorhomes.

The preceding info is to the best of my recollection. That was a long time ago.

Not So, Xplorer Class C and Class A motorhomes were built with steel frame and fiberglass exterior in the 70's and 60's.

Bmac1x
Explorer
Explorer
any ideas what it's worth ??

Bmac1x
Explorer
Explorer
so he has been using it to play his drums. he's got vents taped up to keep sound in... lol. http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/robert_mcmillin1/slideshow/

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures I want pictures please

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
BMax,

As the owner of another antique motorhome, let me first post three warnings.
1 - If you can't find now out where to acquire all the expected maintenance parts and material, think about walking away.
2 - There will be issues with everything that is not metal and even some of the metal.
3 - Expect it to cost a serious chunk to get it roadworthy enough to go to the beach. It may be a very long time before you can take it anywhere of any distance.

I am a member of a community of old/classic/antique motorhomes, and we have a saying, a reliable and ready to travel coach will cost 30K, all at once or as a kit. That counts that some of these coaches have been restored to better than factory. You will be buying the kit.

Unless it is at the coast, corrosion won't be a bit deal, but still all the rubber will be aged out. That means all the hoses belts and seals. The coolant and brake lines are an immediate issue, but the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant are gone by now, so you might just as well dump the coolant while you put in those hoses. The fuel lines will have to be upgraded to alcohol resistant and that means those over the fuel tank too. The rubber brake lines should be replaced while you have the system empty to flush it as the fluid has absorbed water by now.

You will need all new tires. I don't know what size they are, but make sure they are still available. If they are not and you still want to go with this, then hope you can find new rims that will allow you to mount modern tires. The existing rims may not be capable of standing up to new radial tires, so that should be a consideration.

Look at the picture in the sigfile. That was taken a couple of years back in the middle of a 5Kmi excursion. The coach is a '73 with 160+k on it and we have had it for 12 seasons. It has been on a hook ONCE. We just returned from a 1100 mile that was our second of the year for a season total so far of 3.5K and we have more planned.

There is no reason that this coach can't be as reliable and enjoyable. It will take work and money to do. Just be ready.

If you persist in this effort, and I can offer advice I am here a lot and private messages are read and answered.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It's only worth what a seller is willing to accept and a buyer is willing to pay.

I know that after living full time in two used Class A RVs since '04, I'd not be willing to pay much.

On reflection though...it might be a fun project.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Bmac1x
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp, he has no idea what it is worth.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're considering buying the Amigo, it's probably worth a whole lot less than the price the owner is asking. ๐Ÿ™‚

But again, it depends on the condition.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I used to build Amigos back in the early 70s. They were built in San Marcus California. They were the Cadillac of motorhomes back in the day. Amigos were the only motorhome in those days that had a steel welded coach frame, all the others were wood frame built (like a house). The siding was riveted aluminum with fiberglass end caps. All were built on the Dodge chassis with the exception of a very few Chevys. We only built 2 a week when all others manufacturers were cranking out 1 a day. The price was $25,000, which was a lot back then. We had a final inspection guy that drove every one of them home every night and back the next morning until the next one rolled off the line. The gas crunch in the 70s was the demise of Amigo Motorhomes.

The preceding info is to the best of my recollection. That was a long time ago.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Bmac go to the search bar above and type image not shown, several post on exactly how to fix it.

Bmac1x
Explorer
Explorer
how can i change those settings : "* image not shown due to your preference setting *">* image not shown due to your preference setting *">* image not shown due to your preference setting *">"