cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A vs. B 5.0 - Mobility

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
Mobility is a huge advantage small RV’s have over big ones. Obviously, it is easy to pull off the road into a fast food joint or restaurant or maneuver in a campground but that is not what I mean. The mobility I am talking about is very important to the RV travel experience and has 2 aspects:

1. When you leave a campsite in a big motor home pulling a car and head down the road to a new one, you are pretty much limited to staying on the highway, maybe pulling into a rest area for lunch. We are not restricted like this. For example, let’s say our next destination is 250 miles away. If there are places we want to stop and visit along the way, it is no problem to do it. We have done this hundreds of times. We have visited Great Sand Dunes NP in CO, Niagara Falls, the cool town of Gallup NM, the Painted Desert NP, Gettysburg, and many other places en route to our next over night stop. Not easy in a big rig.

2. If you are using a car to do your sightseeing or other activity, you have to double back to your campsite at the end of the day. If you drive the beautiful high road to Taos NM from Santa Fe, for example, you stop at the historic churches, towns and scenic spots along the way. How do you do this in a car? You have to drive all the way back to Santa Fe. What a pain! We just camped in Taos. The drive along Hwy. 138 in Oregon from Crater Lake NP down to I-5 is the same scene, you stop at a number of places along the way and hike to spectacular waterfalls through beautiful vegetation that looks like Hawaii., then camp for the night at a very nice county park east of Roseburg. In a car, you would have to use the pit toilets at the trail heads and double back at the end of the day – no thanks. We arrange our itineraries so we can take advantage of roads like this.

These advantages are not obvious but you will see and do a lot more traveling in a small RV such as a Class B.
1 REPLY 1

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
This past weekend I met a women at a soccer game driving a used Roadtrek 170, the smallest one. Her family uses it as a second car. Room to camp as a family, room to take the kids to a soccer game.

I have a Roadtrek 190 V which I hope to use as a second car. Just have to work out some problems.

Heapie