cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some full time questions from a bunch of newbies

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
So my husband and I are making the leep....well starting the process anyway and we had a few questions after lots of research ( still loads more to do)

Currently, I have three random questions

the first one is we have 2 children and currently homeschool. We are registered to homeschool in MD and are required here to have 2 reviews. Our daughter has her end of year one coming up so I will ask about email/phone/video chat type reviews but how do other people do it? Are we still technically required to check in with our county in MD or since we won't be residence technically how does that work? We aren't part of a cohort or charter school we do it on our own.

the second one is kind of related to the first. But taxes how does that work? My husband has a remote job in the state we live in do we still file state taxes under that state as residences? I will, of course, consult an accountant but was just curious what your experiences were.

My third is I am sure asked a lot. Doctor visits? we have an 11 year old and a 18mth old who still need their yearly apts. Those who travel with children how do you handle when they need shots or get sick?

Sorry for all the questions we are just trying to learn as much as we can from people that are already there 🙂 thanks so much in advance
46 REPLIES 46

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy we did it for 8 years, 2 of which with a baby and about to go back to it again this summer once the house sells.

FL is a great state for home schooling. There are usually groups and such in the areas for socialization and class diversification. Everyone has their specialties and it helps for them to get a different teacher / style.

Taxes you'll need to ask a CPA. Generally it is where the work is performed IIRC. So you could use your home state like FL which has no income tax. Especially if he is 1099 or otherwise self employed. If he is w2 that might create an issue depending on how the company does their payroll in the state they are located in.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, yes i think we have decided we will be back for the holidays. We are still working on hashing out all the details. Thank you all for giving us lots to think about

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Tabith, a lot of fulltimers develop a practice of doing some sort of a circle travel during the year, ending up at some point in the area where they have physicians/dentists and thus get their yearly checkups, etc., done while visiting relatives and friends. We returned each year to Tyler, Tx where we had lived before retiring for a number of years until we noticed that we were spending several months in Mesa, AZ in the winter, and, at our age, it is nice to have time to get things taken care of (change of medications, etc) while we are in one place for several weeks. It is just a matter of going over what you plan to do with your travels and getting your physicians on board.

If going back to your current area isn't in the cards, then do realize that most of the Urgent Care facilities will handle anything that comes along, and often will set up you as a returning patient if you think you will be there for several months. And check an area to see if there is a dental school nearby - good for getting cleanings done and other work if needed.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Tabith20634 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Tabith20634 wrote:
Doctor visits?

What are you currently using for health insurance?

United Healthcare through my husbands work which he will keep ( he is a web developer and can work from anywhere)

Check to make sure that you can use your health plan on the road without picking up the full cost. Typically, this means a PPO plan with a nationwide health network.

We do have a ppo. I will look into networks though. Thank you, I didn't think about that. We havent ever needed it but I figure with full time it is best to know everything I can 🙂

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"and being judgmental for the purpose of serving up no helpful information "

OP was seeking validation for her vagabond lifestyle choice with minor children, one an 18 month old. A lifestyle I love for....ADULTS. Since I didn't validate OP or 2gypies now begins the name calling...troll.

most definitely not. not even sure how you came to that conclusion. I wasn't asking for validation at all I had 3 questions about filing logistics. I am not the type to need approval especially from sad people on the internet

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Tabith20634 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Tabith20634 wrote:
Doctor visits?

United Healthcare through my husbands work which he will keep ( he is a web developer and can work from anywhere)

Check to make sure that you can use your health plan on the road without picking up the full cost. Typically, this means a PPO plan with a nationwide health network.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
sorry all i am just catching up thank you all so much for the very helpful information. I did research after posting about establishing a domicile and we are thinking of storing our things in FL since we hope to do some sort of hybrid housing situation after a year. Also no state income tax woot lol.

As for those questioning my parenting decisions, the school system was failing my daughter so I made a change at her request. She is more socialized now than she was before. I have seen some really judgmental things on this forum in concerns to homeschooling and I don't remember asking anyone's opinion on homeschooling. It works for us. There are so many studies ( not that I care I know what works for my kids) that prove the advantages of homeschooling. I highly doubt those of you that happen to be parents are experts in the field of child development so I really have no idea what makes you think it is ok to advertise your opinions on the subject, unprompted might I add, to a stranger on the internet but hey I guess some of us have more time on their hands than others.

finally, I am far from the only one doing this. Homeschooling has seen such a huge jump in the last few years. We have over 2,000 families in my county alone ( very small county might I add). Also, we want this life. If you think that putting my kid in a chair for 8 hours a day grouped with a bunch of kids that have nothing in common besides her zip code and birth year is better for her that is sad. I want to raise kids that have world experience. I want the world to be their playground. I want them to not just read about history in a chair but experience it.

ps. not that it is anyone on the internet's business but my daughter pushed for it for 2 years

Tabith20634
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Tabith20634 wrote:
Doctor visits?

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Aridon, you are free to express your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'll read and consider it too. 2gypies, however, want those who disagree with them to bow out. Huge difference.

How many yrs have you fulltimed?

How many kids have you home schooled?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
OP (Tabith20634) You are new to this forum and I am so sorry for your post being hijacked. Most members on this forum are good people with helpful answers. Please give us another try.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Merrinam Webster defines vagabond as an adjective and noun: "moving from place to place without a fixed home."

Effy, name calling? Or accurate use as an adjective or noun?
Care to handshake on this? Those weeks I'm RVing, I'm a vagabond...but without minor children including one 18 months old.

Wrong again - "a person who wanders from place to place without a home or job."

For an educated person you sure don't act like one. You will die on every hill to try and prove your point - even when your wrong. At the end of the day you seem to take pleasure in simply imposing your opinions on others. You used the term as derogatory. You claim they wanted validation, they didn't. Continued attempts to redeem yourself in this banter just help to prove the point everyone else already knows.
2013 ACE 29.2

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Merrinam Webster defines vagabond as an adjective and noun: "moving from place to place without a fixed home."

Effy, name calling? Or accurate use as an adjective or noun?
Care to handshake on this? Those weeks I'm RVing, I'm a vagabond...but without minor children including one 18 months old.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

OP was seeking validation for her vagabond lifestyle choice with minor children, one an 18 month old. A lifestyle I love for....ADULTS. Since I didn't validate OP or 2gypies now begins the name calling...troll.

Nowhere in their post did they seek validation. So you're wrong. And I guess referring to the OP as a vagabond isn't name calling. Jeez you're a piece of work.
2013 ACE 29.2

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad