cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for small quality travel trailer to use at disasters

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I am beginning to look for either a small 5th wheel or travel trailer. I have a truck camper which I intend to keep for the traveling we do. However, when I go to places around the country helping to feed folks after natural disasters, I can not use my truck to get food out into the areas I need to plus my bride is going with me more.
Our needs are small,dry bath,nice size fridge,A/C,
I have a 3500 Dodge Mega cab CDI.
Thanks
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"
11 REPLIES 11

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make POP OUT BEDS now for utility trailer conversions... These only have about one-foot on the inside to contend with...

With a large dual tandem utility trailer you can build up what ever you need on the inside... Build up your kitchen items in the front of the trailer... With the large drop down rear door all kinds of possibilities here... They usually have a side door up near the front of the trailer where you can have a awning setup for the whole length of the trailer on the outside.

Google Images

This would allow you to use your tow truck as well once parked and setup...

Are you able to claim expenses from something like this on your income taxes?

We were able to do this under Gifts To Charity for a few items doing Emergency Radio Comms setup operations during local emergencies back in the day...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would consider a small toy hauler. You could work from the back with loads of storage.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought to add but look for larger grey and black tanks, the usage your considering I would assume you will be operating without dump facilities for extended periods.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at consignment or Craigslist?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Why not just use the truck camper you have now, and add on a hitch to tow an enclosed cargo trailer for whatever else you need?

Hmmm.. I just reread your post. So you want your truck to have an empty bed so you can use that to move stuff when you are scenes? Is that right?

We already have a toy hauler which has had the back end converted into a place to cook and prepare meals. Most of our meals are the sandwich type. We have put a freezer,four convection ovens,warming tower, three tables and then overhead storage. When we get to a location we usually make arrangements with someone like Sysco or we go to the nearest Sam and buy our supplies. We can turn out up to 2000 meals per day if we can get some local volunteers help us put things together.
When I go with my truck and truck camper I usually can not use the truck. I also do not like to take camper off because I have to go empty tanks and we might move to another location. Having a fifth wheel hitch in back is no problem because when we go out to the areas to hand out meals I usually can carry in back and in bed.
The other reason for wanting either a TT or FW is we are staying longer sometimes. Plus with the five locations we did lately it would have been nicer for my bride. And being 74 I do not have that much longer to do this.Maybe 10 or 12 years.
Thanks
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov has a good point, maybe you could do both. I built a home-brew camper and toy hauler from a cargo trailer. You could incorporate the dry bath, fridge, and A/C, leave the back for gear/kitchen/supplies, and still have the truck bed free for deliveries. All this at a cost that doesn't "double" your camper investment. Lots of the truck camper folks use the cargo trailer for gear or extended trips, (which I'm sure you've already considered).

Here's my basic cargo camper: (Warning, if you get too far off into that forum, you might never come back ha ha!)
Cargo Trailer Conversion
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Why not just use the truck camper you have now, and add on a hitch to tow an enclosed cargo trailer for whatever else you need?

Hmmm.. I just reread your post. So you want your truck to have an empty bed so you can use that to move stuff when you are scenes? Is that right?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting...

If your primary camping needs are covered by your truck camper, then I wonder if you might need to go in a different direction for natural disaster response?

We went to Florida after Hurricane Andrew to assist in setting up basic plumbing for temporary water supplies. The infrastructure was so damaged that our project idea was of no help at the time.

If your goal is to be able to haul food supplies with you and cook when you get there, I would consider a small toy hauler, or back country type camper designed to be off-grid capable. "Better to have and not need..."

Examples: Outdoors RV Black Rock 20RD. 4-seasons camper, off-road suspension, custom frame, 2" thick laminate walls, solar panel ready etc. Pricey, but tough, and you'd have to buy out West and haul it back.
Black Rock

Sister company Northwood makes some slick 5th wheels:
Northwood Fox Mountain 5th wheels

Livin' Lite makes a line of aluminum framed toy haulers with living quarters. Instead of "toys" you could haul your food and outdoor kitchen supplies, golf cart, whatever.
VRV Toy Hauler

While at Livin' Lite, look at their Camplite travel trailer as well.
and if you can get down to Atlanta easy enough, this one has gotten my attention, a closeout price on a Camplite 21RBS travel trailer: Quality=yes, small=yes, budget=?
2016 Camplite 21RBS sale

You didn't mention a budget, but Alabama Jim, on this forum, has a Riverside RV camper, and as far as traditional "stick and tin" campers, he likes his and toured the factory with very positive feedback.
Riverside Mt. McKinley Toy Haulers

And a cool 5th wheel:
Riverside Retro Fifth Wheel

Keep us posted on your search, this is great opportunity to combine your hobby with serving your fellow man in need.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TCINTN wrote:
I am beginning to look for either a small 5th wheel or travel trailer. I have a truck camper which I intend to keep for the traveling we do. However, when I go to places around the country helping to feed folks after natural disasters, I can not use my truck to get food out into the areas I need to plus my bride is going with me more.
Our needs are small,dry bath,nice size fridge,A/C,
I have a 3500 Dodge Mega cab CDI.
Thanks

Lance makes some various small size trailers which are of good quality.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
For your usage a 5th wheel won't be much different than a camper unless you want to offload the hitch to free up bed space. There are some newer hitches that are light weight and easy to remove but a TT may just be easier. With a 3500 truck you can tow just about any TT you want so it really depends on how much or little you can live with/in. Arctic Fox makes some really high quality units. I'd probably start there. Quality and RVs aren't always spoken in the same breath so be prepared to look around a bit. Smaller units are especially tough to find quality in since often times small RV shoppers are on a tight budget.