cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Ford CMAX Sel towed 4 down accruing miles!

musicmaestra
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Ford CMAX Sel is accruing miles when being towed 4 flat behind my 33' motorhome. I have put 12,000 mi on my car towing it cross country and back last fall. I have never heard of such a thing and can't find anyone in the forums that this is happening to. The manual says it can be towed 4 flat but doesn't say if it will accrue miles. I called customer service and they sent my concern to one of their engineers who determind that the Ford C max "MAY ACCRUE" miles when towed 4 flat. Anyone out there have any experience or suggestions? I am very angry as I bought this car specifically to tow and was told by the dealer that it would not accrue miles!
5 REPLIES 5

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I have a push button start.
My 2014 SEL with push button start tows w/o mileage when hooked up like this:
  • Set the car behind MH put in park & turn off
  • Hook up towbar & "stuff"
  • Turn on again, set tranny in neutral & turn off
  • Hook up brake, etc.
The open door/tranny not in park alarm will go off for a while,, but it stops and car can be towed w/o mileage. I keep the car unlocked when moving because the one time I locked it, the alarm came on.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

musicmaestra
Explorer
Explorer
I have a push button start.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been towing a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid four down for 4 years now with no problems, and never any accrued mileage when towing. The Fusion Hybrids are very, very similar to the CMAX, they use pretty much the exact same (hybrid) drive train.

I think the 'key' to it is (pun intended), like already said, you must tow with ignition in ACC position, not ON. If its in ON position, yes, you will accrue mileage (I know 'cause I accidentally did that once, haha).

If you have the keyless ignition/push button start, its a whole different ballgame, and the procedure to get it in the right mode to tow is different, and that may be where something is not being done right, causing miles to accrue. Bottom line, though, is, that should not be happening.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Towed ours 14,000 miles with ZERO accumulated miles. The ignition key must be in the first position or "Accessory", not "ON".

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a key ignition or push-button? Either way the ignition MUST be in the ACCESSORY or OFF position to not accrue mileage. Any other position will accrue mileage.