cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY portable screen room for bugs? Or buy one?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are heading up to Wyoming this summer -- there will be mosquitoes, without a doubt. I've been looking for a very bare-bones, light, easy to deploy screen room, but I have come up empty -- almost all of the commercial items are bulky, heavy, and "un-minimal." (There is no such word, but there should be -- what is the opposite of mininalism?)

I know I can get mosquito netting and make my own room -- maybe stick some poles in the ground and drape the netting over them, or string up some rope and put the netting over the rope. I don't want to hook anything to my awning - I need a free-standing unit.

But before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone come up with a good DIY solution? Or is there a commercial product that you have used that will do the job? I'm not opposed to spending money to get something that is easy to deploy and is not too bulky.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
21 REPLIES 21

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
we like this one.
Here is the same one but it is 15 X 13 - the one I have. Very easy setup and take down. I store it in the same packaging it came in - a long cardboard box inside a zippered canvas case with a handle.

I set it up myself and drag in the CG picnic table - has plenty of room.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Not cheap but I watched a neighbor put up and take down one of these. Looked easier than any I have seen before.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep -- I will use a lot of DEET. I know I have enough on my skin when my lips are numb. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Deet works well for us. Cheap and easy. No put up or take down.

Had an Add-A-Room for a while. Seems that every time we used it it would rain and we had to take it home and dry it out before stowing.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
we like this one.

we have one kinda like this one, we have had it for 15 years, I have melted a hole in it useing the colmen stove a little to close, but I stitched it up with zip-ties, other than beeing a bit big all packed up it has been a great investmant and I will buy another one when we decide to retire it.

So far it even keeps the coons out..... but I think i will knock on some wood after saying that.

I even park the motorcycle in it at night and when it rains.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Rockhill, we are not going to be in a campground -- we are boondocking. So we should be allowed to put up a screen room, unless the bears and wolves object. ๐Ÿ˜‰

:B

Yes it would be easier and cheaper to just buy one.

Go to the big box sporting stores they have ez-up type canopies with complete screen room enclosure. Just make sure they have the scissor type frame for rigidity and ease of putting it and down.

Very affordable and they fold up real nice and neat for storage in the RV bay. Real easy to put up and take down. Shelter Logic, Ozark Trail, Wenzel are a few of the better made ones.

Not the least expensive but the one I really like is made by Wenzel, they offer the better made screen room addition to the canopy.

Also pick up hurricane screw downs. They hold it down better than any stakes can.

Have a nice mosquito free trip to Wyoming! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rockhill, we are not going to be in a campground -- we are boondocking. So we should be allowed to put up a screen room, unless the bears and wolves object. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pat, yes, we are going to Wyoming for the eclipse, along with millions of other folks. It should be hilarious to see everyone lined up for miles along the forest roads.

And Collie, I was going to make a PVC frame with slip fittings, but it looks like the commercial units may be cheaper and better than what I can make. I had been skeptical of the commercial products, but I am rethinking my skepticism -- several credible folks have told me that the fold-up units work pretty well.
About our trailer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Could you build a lite weight frame out of PVC pipe and attache some screen?

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Pat, we are headed for the Wind River Range -- please tell me there are no skeeters there! (With all of those lakes and streams, I know there will be bugs.)

Well there's your problem! You like water. ๐Ÿ˜„ And so do skeeters.

Is that where you're headed for the eclipse?

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BEFORE you invest in a bug room check the CG's you will be staying at. MANY will NOT allow you to put it up.

I've even been at CG's that would not allow the ones that are attached to the camper awning.

Invest in a box fan. Place the box fan facing the long side of your RV. Result? NO mosquitoes. They can't fly when there is wind. It is what I do. Even a battery operated fan placed by the picnic table, if boondocking does the trick too.

I have a box fan on board for when there are hookups and
a 2 Ryobi Battery operated fans for boondocking and emergencies.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

Uses same battery as screw gun.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pat, we are headed for the Wind River Range -- please tell me there are no skeeters there! (With all of those lakes and streams, I know there will be bugs.)
About our trailer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'd never heard of PahaQue - for that much money, they must be really great products!!

PahaQue has been supplying upscale camping products for 20 yrs now, with quality far beyond seemingly similar products offered in big box stores. Back when we camped in a popup we owned a PahaQue Tepee Shower Tent, arguably the finest there is. Camping now with a travel trailer I miss those warm summer evenings showering in our Tepee while looking up at a billion stars in the sky ... should have kept our Tepee! :R

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We are heading up to Wyoming this summer -- there will be mosquitoes, without a doubt. I've been looking for a very bare-bones, light, easy to deploy screen room, but I have come up empty -- almost all of the commercial items are bulky, heavy, and "un-minimal." (There is no such word, but there should be -- what is the opposite of mininalism?)

I know I can get mosquito netting and make my own room -- maybe stick some poles in the ground and drape the netting over them, or string up some rope and put the netting over the rope. I don't want to hook anything to my awning - I need a free-standing unit.

But before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone come up with a good DIY solution? Or is there a commercial product that you have used that will do the job? I'm not opposed to spending money to get something that is easy to deploy and is not too bulky.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

We've been going to WY for the last 6 or 7 years and I've never encountered a mosquito. My guess is that you are heading for the wrong part of WY. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd never heard of PahaQue - for that much money, they must be really great products!!
About our trailer