cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't fill my built-in propane tank

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I have tried to get my built-in propane tank filled in preparation for camping. At two different propane filling stations, the propane would leak from the propane connector that screwed onto my tank. My tank fitting is clean and looks new as I keep the cap on it when not in use. At first I thought that the O-Ring on the propane station's connector at the end of the hose was faulty. However, the same thing happened when I brought the MH to another place to fill it up. Both filling stations just sell propane as a sideline and are not fully in the propane business.
Could there be a missing gasket on my tank fitting that causes the leak? The leak only happens when trying to fill the tank. I will bring the MH to a propane only business where they have propane mechanics if I can't solve this mystery. I have filled the propane several times before with no problems. Thanks for any help you can provide.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!
6 REPLIES 6

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Great Post. something for everyone to look for. I learn something new every day.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit is correct!! My gasket is missing. I will get one pronto and a spare. I never had that happen before. Apparently the gaskets can come off when getting refilled so I will pay more attention next time. Thanks for all the help!!
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There is usually a propane odor after filling that goes away quickly even with good gaskets, etc.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ALL important fill valve 'gasket'.....check that you have one inside the fill valve

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ,ve had this same problem theres nothing wrong,its the guy trying to fill with the wrong fitting. went to a propane dealer and he showed me the right one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take it to the local propane distributor--the one who fills rural tanks for the farm community.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.