cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Street Camping

Tioga_George
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda FIT is my tow vehicle. A 13 ft Scamp trailer is my RV.

We began RVing in 2003 using a 27 ft Fleetwood Tioga. We named her MsTioga. In 2014, MsTioga was destroyed when I had a terrible heart incident. I passed out while driving and MsTioga went off Interstate 5 near Bakersfield, California. MsTioga was destroyed. I was not injured.

After surgery to correct my heart condition, I figured that my RVing days were done. I was 77 years old. Time to retire from RVing.

However, destiny had a different thing in mind for me. Last September, a good friend invited me to visit with him at Jojoba Hills SKP Resort. While having supper with one of the Jojoba Hills founders, I decided to move there.

In order to get on the Jojoba Hills wait-list, I had to own an RV. But my Honda FIT could not tow the 29 ft Coachmen trailer that I bought. So, I bought the 13 ft Scamp trailer in order to RV again. My next birthday, will be my 80th. Anything is possible!

Right now, I am on the 6th day of a trip RVing north thru California. I always street camp. Very rarely do I stay in an RV park. If you would like to see what I am up to, my Blog link is below!

Tioga George

19 REPLIES 19

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Tioga George!

I am impressed the Honda Fit can tow that.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcmac214 wrote:
......Around here (rural Okla) a broken down car on the side of the road is lucky to not have its windows blown out or smashed in within a couple hours of the owner leaving it. No matter what time of day or night. .......

So you and/or your neighbors are a bunch of vandals and criminals? How sad.

I wish our OP great fun and adventures.

For those of you who have not tried it, street or stealth camping can be easy. First you do not want to be any more conspicuous than necessary. It helps to have a smaller RV. Of course, slides are not useable. Don't try to set up lawn chairs and a BBQ. Leave the window curtains and screens shut. Most important be considerate of the residents. Don't take up parking spots in dense residential neighborhoods. Move on a regular basis or make sure you understand the local ordinances. I stayed in an exclusive neighborhood for close to a month because I checked and verified the rules for parking. Another option is to park on private property with permission. Walmart and truck stops and Cabelas parking lots fall in this category, but there are plenty of similar opportunities. Many churches have large parking lots that are all but unused on weekdays. Just ask permission.

Tioga_George
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Piano,

I do have solar. It is the Renogy Solar Suitcase. Link

George

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
What engine & transmission do you have in the Honda Fit? My son has a 2008 Civic, and wants to pull a small pop-up. I was told on the forum it was a bad idea. What do you think.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
I'm intrigued: "Street camping"? If you're doing what it sounds like you're doing, how do you get away with it?

Around here (rural Okla) a broken down car on the side of the road is lucky to not have its windows blown out or smashed in within a couple hours of the owner leaving it. No matter what time of day or night. Try it in any of the towns around here and you'd probably be arrested and vehicle impounded before anyone bothers to ask any questions.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi TG,

Great picture from a good man.

Not even some solar to keep the batteries charged?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tioga_George
Explorer
Explorer
Hi PlanoTuna,

Here is a pic of my Honda hooked up to the Scamp trailer. No major modifications.

George

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Have followed George along his many travels, situations, present blog and happy to see him back on this forum....
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How wonderful that you are still on the road! You are quite the inspiration for me.

Do you have a description of the Scamp and how it has been modified?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
You guys and gals RVing in your 80s are an inspiration to a slightly younger me. When DW & I go to RV club get-togethers, I see many older folks enjoying their experiences. Bless you all.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been quietly following your travels since 2010, George. Just when I stop checking in on you, you surprise me again. Really glad to know you are rolling down the roads again. Happy travels!!
Kathy

ntagnizr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, pretty cool to see you back. Haven't been on here in quite some time and tonight I take a look and your back.Hope all is well and you enjoy many more travels and look forward to your writings. Be safe.

2005 MONACO DIPLOMAT 40DST
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4X4
2006 Club Car
WIFE,DAUGHTER, SON,AND MAX THE AIREDALE

WWW.GrandmasChristmas.com

Tioga_George
Explorer
Explorer
Hi RoyB,

Very rarely do I hear a knock on my trailer door from a law enforcement officer.

George

Tioga_George
Explorer
Explorer
Hi doxiemom11 ,

You asked about me taking a shower?

My Scamp trailer has a shower and toilet!

Tioga George