cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly Towing FWD Vehicle

Obdug
Explorer
Explorer
Dolly towing a FWD VW Tiguan 2.0T...Anything I need to be aware of ? Towing behind Coachmen C Class 29' Santara Ford V8 7.5 460. First timer
Thanx for your time, much appreciated
OtherBrotherDoug
14 REPLIES 14

Obdug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for all the replies...good infor
OtherBrotherDoug

Obdug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for all the tips and advise. Yes my vehicle is FWD
and yes RV hitch is rated 4000 lbs +
OtherBrotherDoug

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
With a Front Wheel Drive Tiguan you should have no issues on a dolly. It is light enough, plenty of ground clearance and no problem with width. Just check the straps a mile or two from your starting point as well as every time you stop. They can and will loosen. Make sure the emergency brake is released.

Happy Trails.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
EV2 wrote:
FWD is front wheel drive
4WD.is four wheel drive

AWD is all wheel drive
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
FWD is front wheel drive
4WD.is four wheel drive

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled VW Tiguan 2.0T. It came up with several AWD models, so, the Tiguan does come in an All wheel drive.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I was referring to Front Wheel Drive. Our best vehicles that we towed was a Mitsubishi Expo & a Mazda Protage. Both had steel loops attached to the front frame that we could attach our hooks onto. Bags. Plus, they were light vehicles
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
So, does the "F" mean front or four? We tow a front wheel drive VW on a dolly with no issues thus far. Make certain the dolly you choose has brakes...

Gary

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I interpreted FWD as Four Wheel Drive. If your VW is Front Wheel Drive, then My post would not apply.

But it doesn't change the fact that no VWs are listed in the Motorhome listing. What does your owner's manual say?

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have a tow dolly and never had a problem towing a FWD vehicle. The important thing is to use the tow hooks and after driving a mile, pull into a big parking lot and re-tighten the straps. I know my good Friend "ronfisherman" also uses a Tow dolly and he was smart to get on made from aluminum. Big difference in weight. Even when we would pull over at a rest area, I would go back and make sure everything was in proper order. When we would leave our commercial property in Wyandotte, we would stop at the Farmer Fack at Fort & King and check the straps and they always needed tightened. Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

ronfisherman
Does your Class C have a hitch that is rated to tow 4,000 lbs?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there are any front wheel drive vehicles that cannot be towed on a dolly, at least in theory. The rear wheels on a front wheel drive vehicle are free-rolling all the time (well, aside from when the brakes are applied). The main place problems might come up is with physically fitting on a dolly, either due to width or low clearance or strange over hangs or something like that.

I think some tow dollies require that the steering on the towed vehicle be unlocked. (Others have a pivot as part of the dolly itself.)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Is your VW towable? I was unable to find any VWs in my Motorhome Magazine towing guides.

I tow a 2010 Subaru FWD, only the older manual transmission Subarus are towable and only 4 wheels down.