cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Floor vents

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers with two dog I pulled up the floor vents and hot glued window screen to the bottom of the vents so no crud fall in
12 REPLIES 12

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
They have filters on the ACs but tell us not to do it to furnaces.
The intakes are small, but if the filtering media or screens are monitored and changed should not be a problem.
Just think of all the dog hair ingested and deposited somewhere in the furnace system or lint etc now.
We don't hear much about furnace fires ,though, in RVs.
There are different meshes of wire available. I haven't looked in years so I don't know about availability. A coarse grid would stop a lot of junk and no inhibit flow, if kept clean. This is the thing. They are afraid people would not clean them. Is there not a thermal shut down on furnaces to shut them down ff they get too hot?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend that you remove the screening if it is truly window screen screening. You will actually dramatically reduce air flow and you can cause over-heating and premature shut down of the system when you need the heat the most. Air flow is reduced by at least 50 percent and if any of that crud has accumulated on that screen it the amount of reduction will be increased.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that butter works real good.

Bob, are you watching?:B

FWIW, here, at the sticks-and-bricks, the Polish Princess has polyfill across a few vents. She thinks it keeps the ducts cleaner.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
We just put throw rugs over vents when not in use - which is most of the year.

x2. Sometimes we forget to remove them when we fire up the furnace. Hmmm nothing like the hot rubber backing smell. ๐Ÿ™‚

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that dust and some sand etc. will still get in past the new screen. Larger stuff will collect on top of your new screen and block the flow more. Like someone said I would just remove the vents once or twice a year and use a shop vac in them. That's what I do one rental mobile homes. Be care not to tear the duct loose. A lot of times you can slide the shop vac hose down the the duct for good cleaning.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Window screen reduces air flow by 50 percent, look it up. That said, vents full of dog crud are also bad.

I was thinking screens reduced air flow by more than a very small degree. But, didn't know the amount.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Window screen reduces air flow by 50 percent, look it up. That said, vents full of dog crud are also bad.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
We just put throw rugs over vents when not in use - which is most of the year.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
The screen probably restricts air flow some but to a very small degree. The kind of crud is the dust that comes in, whatever might be tracked in, yours, the dogs, visitors, etc. If you were not aware of what kind crud falls in, you probably dont have furnace vents in the floor or have never looked and checked them.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Won't the screen restrict the air flow?
And, what kind of crud was falling in the vents? :B