cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trans Canadian Highway campimg suggestions

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are heading west from Thousand Islands crossing to Sault St.Marie on our way to Glacier NP.then the west coast.I'm going listing the campgrounds onthe canadian leg that I researched the reviews on seem to be OK. However if they are familiar to you and would suggest a different camp for whatever reason I'd appreciate your advise. We are only staying for one night at these camps so we can survive that short of a stay.
We are going to run Rte. Rte 401 to Rte 29 to 15 then on to Rte 17 to Sault St. Marie. So first night Victoria Park CG. Smith Falls.
Second night Dreany Lake Cg. Corbeil
Third night Brownlee Lake Cg Thessalon
Then cross back to the US and stay at the Northland Outfitters Cg in Gremfask MI. (short day but I don't know how long it will take to cross the border.) We are leaving on June 10 so it shouldn't be to busy. Also we are traveling in a 25 ft class C no toad so size shouldn't be an issue.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
9 REPLIES 9

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I was going with what the OP has ,31' 5er is a bit longer rig and provincial parks fill fast ,but the further north the less pressure they have.I would chance it ,stop early and be flexible .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
with a 25 ' class C you should be ok without reservations, just have alternatives in mind.

Actually it's a 31' fiver!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
with a 25 ' class C you should be ok without reservations, just have alternatives in mind.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
Are reservations necessary or can we just wing it? Not sure how long in one place or how much driving in one day. Would just like to decide last minute!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
My preference would be provincial parks, with your size rig there's lots to choose from - Murphy's Point PP, then (Samuel de) Champlain approximate your chosen route/travel times.

The reservation system is quite good with site descriptions and photos:

https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/

Tim & Jo
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Chutes provincial park in massey
serpent river campground near by
SS marie KOA is a award wining camp ground
Newmar 34rsks 2008

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Little Kopit wrote:
Have to question your going south around the Great Lakes.

The OP said they are taking the 401 & 17 west from the 1,000 Islands and crossing at Sault Ste. Marie.

They then would only be going around 1 of 5 Great Lakes.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Have to question your going south around the Great Lakes. Lots of interesting things to see on Canadian side. Liked the cg just west of Thunder Bay, but don't remember name.

I went north around Lake Winnipeg going so I could pop into Northwest Territories (Hay River) and then to AB, BC and up to the Yukon. Liked the Whitehorse folks suggestion of 2.5 hour drive to Skagway, AK. It's really different. But came back to main CA drag to camp in so so place.

My biggest tourist site by about 1000x was Royal Tyrrell Museum & that is more southerly, so my return route was more south. I did not go to Vancouver or such.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh I should have added that we are leaving on June 10 and our first night stay will be at the Herkimer Diamond mines KOA. Then on to Canada. Our first night in Canada will be at the Victoria Park CG. Sorry about that.....
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!