cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There Should Be 3 Variations Of Super C's!

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
For me the 1st. variation are the Super C's built on the Ford & Ram 550 19500# chassis. For me the 2nd. variation are the ones built by Nexus, Forest River, Jayco and a few other RV manufacturers. And the ultimate 3rd. variation are Super C's built by IWS/Renegade, Showhauler, & Haulmark. The 3rd. variation in my opinion are the King of the hill, with respect to R rating of ceiling, floors, & sides, better built & higher quality materials, higher GVWR & tow ratings, and real over/the road diesel wet sleeve engines that will last a million miles if serviced properly. Naturally, the 3rd. variation is also the most expensive! Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!
4 REPLIES 4

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Class A, B, and C are defined (I think by the RVIA, but I'm not sure on that) based on the chassis used to construct the motorhome, and nothing else. Class A units are built on a bare or purpose-built chassis, with all the body work added. Class B units are built inside a cargo van, often with a raised roof. Class C units are built on a cutaway chassis or cab and chassis, with the cab coming from the chassis maker and the rest of the body from the motorhome maker. A B+ is a class C per the accepted definitions; B+ and RUV and super-C and the rest are all more or less marketing terms and mean exactly as much or as little as the marketers want them to mean.

Super-C generally means the chassis is a MDT (or possibly HDT?) truck chassis that's somewhat heavier duty than the more common van chassis used for class C's. How far above the van chassis capabilities is, of course, a very reasonable thing to consider and compare, just as it is for the various sizes of van chassis.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
bagman wrote:
You make a valid point! Also, a B+ Motor Home is actually built on a class C chassis, Ford or Chevy, but not as wide or as tall and without the cabover bunk or pod. Yet we call it a B+, but to me, it is more like a C-. Bags.

I agree with you. We just purchased a Gemini 23TR and the dealer called it a Class C. On an advertisement it is referred to as a B+. However it has no features really of the van based B+ except for the cab. From behind the seats it is all RV but without the overhead bunk. I believe the proper term now for this design is RUV, Recreation Utility Vehicle. I like your Classification better, C- fits.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
You make a valid point! Also, a B+ Motor Home is actually built on a class C chassis, Ford or Chevy, but not as wide or as tall and without the cabover bunk or pod. Yet we call it a B+, but to me, it is more like a C-. Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You could say the same for class A's, class B's, TT's, and 5ers. There are the lower end, mid range, and high end of each, and priced accordingly.