Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid trailer smell - Help!

rmskiff
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We just purchased a new-to-us 2012 Starcraft Launch Hybrid trailer, which is an upgrade from our previous tent trailers. So far we haven't done any camping just cleaning, organizing, & trying to learn all the "high tech" stuff like plumping & antennas lol. But we have a smell in the trailer & we can't identify it. I found an old thread on here from 2012 where a couple of Starcraft owner's describe a similar smell but there didn't appear to be anyone who discovered the cause. It definitely doesn't smell like mold/mildew, or even just "camper smell". The trailer is almost new - retired couple owned it who only used it maybe 6 times & never cooked in it. The smell is sort of like a sweet chemical smell & is the strongest near the front door. I've attached a link to a picture of the trailer's layout. The trailer was winterized & we have not yet flushed the lines or anything (still getting nights with frost) - could that be causing the smell? It doesn't smell like stagnant water but we've never owned a trailer with plumbing before so not sure if that is what we're smelling. The only cupboard I can smell it in is the one under the sink. The bathroom also has a similar odor. It's a pretty strong smell, even with all the windows open & screen door open you can still smell it in the back of the trailer (front door/bunk area). The floors are plank wood so unlikely to rot & the walls are fibreglass & aluminum so again unlikely to have any rot or mold. My husband has had a double lung transplant & we are concerned that the smell may be harmful after being exposed to it for a period of time. We noticed the smell when we first viewed the camper but it didn't appear to be as strong as it is now & at the time my husband called it "new trailer smell"; that sort of chemical smell new products have. Like I mentioned it's sort of a sweet chemical smell but really strong - can give you a bit of a headache if trailer isn't ventilated. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions we would greatly appreciate them!! If the people from the 2012 post figured out there smell we would love to hear from you as well.
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
Run water in the shower. They may not have used it. When we had our hybrid we would get a weird smell and it quit when I would run water thru the shower drain...Worth a try I would definetly clean out the black and gray tanks also as others suggested.
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure glad I live in the southwest where winterizing is unknown word and we cabn RV 365 days a year!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rmskiff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the input, advice, & suggestions!! The weather is supposed to warm up so we should be good to try flushing the anti-freeze out of the lines & flush out everything else that might be sitting in the lines. Fingers crossed tight that works ๐Ÿ™‚

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Sweet smell could be anti freeze,

That's what it sounds like to me.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet smell could be anti freeze, especially if it is strongest in the cabinets under the sinks as this is where the plumbing vents are usually located. My tt usually smells a bit sweet in the spring until the lines and tanks are flushed of the pink stuff.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
1. Check that the knobs on the stove are completely in the shut off position.

2. Have you cleaned out the gray and black tank THOROUGHLY?

If not fill both of the tanks up and add a couple of bottles of lemon cleaner. Let it sit overnight. Drain each tank 'separately' and fill up again with cleaner and dump. AND watch what color the water is coming out. if not running clear repeat process for the tank that is not running clear.

Don't use bleach until you are 'sure' the black tank is empty. If there are chems still in the tank adding bleach will create deadly fumes. After its running clear then you can do a fill tank adding bleach to it that will take care of any remaining odors.

since you have health problems it would be best to fill and drain a few more times to remove the smell of the bleach.

Pick up one of these so you can see what is coming out that way you will know if the tanks are the problem.

My guess is the previous owner left you with some nasty dirty tanks. Or it sat while it was for sale without the tanks being completely dumped.

If you don't have a hook up at home find a local CG and stay the night and do the cleaning process while you are parked hooked up to a sewer hook up.

It's what I had to do with my first used MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned two areas where its strongest are both where openings are to the underside. Could this be from borax or some other product the prior owners had used as an insect or ant deterrent?
That or giving the tanks a good flushing out and maybe a small dose of chlorox , a couple ounces to 10 gallons of water in each tank, hitch up drive a few miles and then dump and flush all.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may have some mold. Hybrids have the inherent weakness of opening and folding which often allows water to enter the seam where the hatch closes. Often the water seeps into the front wall or back wall. I recently removed the lining of my front wall in the storage compartment under the front hatch. Now if any water gets in there it can evaporate. Good luck.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Open the windows and cupboard doors and set a fan on the floor to circulate the air let it air out for a few days.