cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruise Control - Not working Ford F53

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser F53 V10 Chassis. The cruise control used to work, then sometimes would work, now can't get it work at all.
There is no dealer in my area, so I'm having to bring it to mechanic shops where they always say the same thing: "Yes we can fix it", but in the end.... they don't fix it. All I end up with is a invoice for a non-working cruise control.
1. The Ford recall has been completed. No leaks on the brake pressure switch where the recall wiring harness is installed.
2. Cruise control fuses are good.
3. Recall wiring harness fuses are good.
4. Both shops say brake pressure switch is good.
5. Brake pressure switch has not been changed though.
6. There is no 'light' on the dash board for the cruise control, so difficult to tell if it is even coming ON. I can't even figure out WHERE the cruise control module/servo is located. Anybody know?
11 REPLIES 11

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: 05/19/2017
Problem solved. The problem was a glitchy switch on the STEERING WHEEL.

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, ran on bad road for few hundreds miles. eventually, the cruise control disabled on bumps, later not working at all

finally identified the cruise control ecm was on a metal L shaped braket. ecm moving up and down on bumps. the connnection harness was pressed on an other part (wood dash structure) and the up and down movement slowly disconnected that harness plug out of the ecm

pushed in the cruise connector in properly and working since

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Perhaps take it to a RV dealer for your brand. They might know the schematics and can locate the problem....or if, like you say, a RV dealer for your brand is "too far away", call the manufacturer. They might be able to help you either on the phone or send you trouble shooting information.

IMO, auto repair shops are useless in these kinds of (electrical) situations.

g'luck!
I wouldn't do that. This should strictly be a Ford problem.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
be sure and check continuity on that cc fuse in the cc wiring harness. the link in the fuse (harness recall) is so small wire it can come loose on one end inside the fuse and look fine.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Brake light bulbs all working? None burned out

no brake lights burned out.
I can see my brake lights thru the rear camera and the brake lights are not on when trying to set the CC. So I don't think that is the problem.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Is your tow mode in the CC lever?

I had the tow mode light come on. took it to Ford and the FIRST thing Ford did was take off the steering wheel. Known problem with wiring inside steering wheel affecting CC and tow mode.

Sadly for me the wiring was fine.....the other known problem is torque converter problems. Which warning symptom is CC and tow mode light in lever. 😞

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
After thought. When I lifted the brake pedal with my left foot I was able to engage the cc. Thus the pedal was not returning far enough to clear the switch.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible your brake pedal is not coming back far enough. I had to adjust the switch on my w-22. If it does not return far enough it will not allow the cc to activate.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps take it to a RV dealer for your brand. They might know the schematics and can locate the problem....or if, like you say, a RV dealer for your brand is "too far away", call the manufacturer. They might be able to help you either on the phone or send you trouble shooting information.

IMO, auto repair shops are useless in these kinds of (electrical) situations.

g'luck!