cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protecting new vent covers.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the process of changing my vent covers. The old ones are very brittle and I nicked one of them shoveling snow off of the roof - had 70+ inches on this side of town this year.

Do you think there's any use in spraying them with 303? I don't expect it to hurt anything, but will it be worth the effort to do it a couple of times a year?

Any suggestions of something better than 303 to use on them?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
6 REPLIES 6

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is sort of embarrassing, but last year when we bought the TT we bought a lot of modification items to install this summer. It's been a long winter and we did a lot of traveling in the MH. When I was installing the vent covers and worried about protecting them, I'd forgotten that out in the shed there were three new Maxx Air covers just sitting there waiting for spring. Anyway, those are now installed also - the vent work is done.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on where you live and how much UV light from the sun that you get. A practical and low cost approach to protect them is with paint. I cracked my AC covers several years ago from trying to remove snow also. I repaired both my AC covers and just repainted them with white paint. One of them is 21 years old but I live up north. My 2 vent covers are the max air and still look good. My electric fan vent cover looks ABS and is original also along with the refer vent .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
These are by far the BEST on the market! They are EASY to RnR and actually allow air to move. Had the MaxxAir they do not compare!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I'm in the process of changing my vent covers. The old ones are very brittle and I nicked one of them shoveling snow off of the roof - had 70+ inches on this side of town this year.

Do you think there's any use in spraying them with 303? I don't expect it to hurt anything, but will it be worth the effort to do it a couple of times a year?

Any suggestions of

something better than 303 to use on them?

Bill

Yup! Maxxair vent covers.

I went one step further and installed the 'regular' maxxair vent cover on the rear vent and the 'turbo' maxxair fan on the front. Priceless to be able to leave them open ALL the time rain or shine.

WHAT a difference. You can turn the turbo fan on in reverse and it will suck the air from the back which creates a real nice breeze and cleans the air in the coach. And it blocks the sun heat from coming in. Turn it on fan and you can't beat the air it pushes. And has thermostat. AND the most important feature is the fan is on the OUTSIDE of your RV. So there is NO annoying noise like the fantastic fan has.

I use my air cond a whole lot less now.

Maxxair covers on 2 of the roof vents now for over 6 years and they are still like brand new.....and the middle roof vent that is not covered? I've had to replace it 2 times now since I am in florida.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic of the max air covers do seem to last longer than the vent covers. But you won't get as much ventilation. You can have them open when it rains or the camper is unattended. Those 14 X 14 vent covers are like a battery, they need replacing every so many years.
Brian

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Ge the maxxair type vent covers instead

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K