cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using smart phone for laptop internet service

rztravelerUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a smart phone but think I'll get one this summer. I travel between Mexico and the US and in the past I bought a Telcel USB WIFI drive for access to the internet when in Mexico. It costs $400 pesos for 4G of data which I use in about 3 weeks. I would also use coffee and internet cafes but then I have to carry my laptop around the village. In the US I use Starbucks and other hotspots as I travel as I don't have a home there. Last year I had Telmex install a line, phone and unlimited internet service, for $400 pesos monthly. When I left Mexico I paid 5 months in advance to keep my service while I was in the US. This year I may be gone 8-9 months and don't want to pay to keep my service as it is a waste of money but Telmex said I probably won't be able to get internet service when I return due to a long waiting list. The Telcel drive is getting too expensive for only 4G of data. Besides, the last time I used one the service wasnโ€™t up to par and I read the phone company slows down the speed during peak hours. If I buy a smart phone I am going to use a hotspot APP so I can use my laptop to hop on the internet. I can do this while in the US but can I use the hotspot APP when in Mexico? I have a VPN service on both laptops and use it all the time. Mainly so I can access US websites as when in Mexico I continually am connected to Mexican websites. My question being, will my VPN service allow my smart phone hotspot APP to connect to the internet in Mexico? Several reasons I don't have a smart phone, security issues and too small a screen are my biggest concerns. I can't read those small screens! Thanks in advance, Ron
Ron
10 REPLIES 10

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
A Telcel smart phone can be used as a Hotspot in any of the 3 countries.

Moisheh

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
T-Mobile offers service in Mexico and Canada. The IP address for Canada is in Chicago which means a vpn would work in the same manner. I suspect it would be the same in Mexico.

Coverage in Canada for T-Mobile is outstanding.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to say that I use the phone for WiFi for the laptop.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
For years I was the typical "old guy"; I just don't need one of those smart phones. Finally I got one (Cricket) and now it is a "necessity" especially whew we travel and find and reserve campsites. Another example is that we use Google as a constant gardening consultant. I also wouldn't pay for internet at home for years and just used free WiFi. But now, I use my phone for a WiFi hot spot both at home and on the road and works great as long as there is a cell signal. I did have to add $20 to the $35 monthly bill for the hot spot use. Worth it. Also, use the "park advisor" app for all campground locating.
Jayco-noslide

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We finally got smart phones from Verizon a while back. We also got a jetpack they said would work in Mexico but we later found out it was only LTE and not CDMA, GSM or whatever they use in Mexico so we switched to a Netgear AC791L which is supposed to work with any system anywhere in the world. We pay so much a month (plans vary) to have International service. I am not sure about phones as a hotspot - we do have the phones but choose to use the jetpack. Our phones are Samsung Galaxy S7 and do work in Mexico. We haven't had a chance to use the jetpack yet but they assure us this make and model is the way to go for connecting to all the various different formats. Talk with experts at your provider in the US to make sure you have the correct equipment to work with systems in other countries. I am sure people out there will know how to use a phone as a hotspot but for whatever reasons we choose to use the jetpack method.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to go to a Verizon store and talk with them.
I have an iPhone with unlimited data and I use its built-in hotspot feature to run my laptop and tablet.
It comes with coverage in Mexico but I only used it for a short time in a border town.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
kerrlakeroo wrote:
I've not used it in Mexico but I have a Motorola G4 that I use as a hotspot. If you order one from Motorola or from Amazon and specifically look for an "unlocked" phone it can work on any system CDMA, GSM doesnt matter, if you buy the phone from a carrier, (verizon, ATT etc) they usually will have turned off the hotspot feature and will have locked it to their service. Price last I saw for a G4 was about $150.

Just because a phone is unlocked doesn't mean it can work on either CDMA or GSM. Those are different technologies and almost no phone contains all the HW to do both on all bands. The higher priced phones come pretty close but they still aren't universal.

Things do seem to be coming together slowly though. 4G LTE seems to be somewhat universal across all providers, but that's not true for 2G and 3G and 4G isn't as widely available as the older technologies. But you still have the problem of the bands in the various frequency ranges not being used the same way by all providers.

Bottom line is determine which phone service provider has the best coverage for where you'll be spending most of your time, then find phones that match that service provider.

If you check, you will find that the Moto series are about as close to "universal" as you can get. Before I bought mine I read the reviews on Amazon also and since the OP was asking about Mexico and central america use, I mentioned them because they do work on both CDMA and GSM with the same handset, and I remembered the comments from Central American users about them working there well. go to www.motorola.com and verify if you wish.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
kerrlakeroo wrote:
I've not used it in Mexico but I have a Motorola G4 that I use as a hotspot. If you order one from Motorola or from Amazon and specifically look for an "unlocked" phone it can work on any system CDMA, GSM doesnt matter, if you buy the phone from a carrier, (verizon, ATT etc) they usually will have turned off the hotspot feature and will have locked it to their service. Price last I saw for a G4 was about $150.

Just because a phone is unlocked doesn't mean it can work on either CDMA or GSM. Those are different technologies and almost no phone contains all the HW to do both on all bands. The higher priced phones come pretty close but they still aren't universal.

Things do seem to be coming together slowly though. 4G LTE seems to be somewhat universal across all providers, but that's not true for 2G and 3G and 4G isn't as widely available as the older technologies. But you still have the problem of the bands in the various frequency ranges not being used the same way by all providers.

Bottom line is determine which phone service provider has the best coverage for where you'll be spending most of your time, then find phones that match that service provider.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I recently saw an ad for a tablet sized screen for smart phone, I think the price was about $99.

Here is the link to what I saw:

Superscreen Kickstarter