cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone use in Canada

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
I will be visiting AB & BC from UK this year for about one month. I have an unlocked iPhone which is used on a pay as you go basis, without roaming.

I only want to be able to make and receive calls in Canada but there seems to be so many options. Ideally I would like to buy a sim and use this only while I am in Canada on a pay as you go basis. I have been looking at 7 eleven/speakout (it will only be used for voice, no data).

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
canadafan wrote:
I will be visiting AB & BC from UK this year for about one month. I have an unlocked iPhone which is used on a pay as you go basis, without roaming.

I only want to be able to make and receive calls in Canada but there seems to be so many options. Ideally I would like to buy a sim and use this only while I am in Canada on a pay as you go basis. I have been looking at 7 eleven/speakout (it will only be used for voice, no data).

Any suggestions?

I use Virgin mobile for 25$ month,unlimited talk,monthly prepaid,mind you have been on that plan for about 10 years now,,probably hard to find such low price deal nowadays..

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
We use Petrocan Mobility (https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/default.aspx) on both our phones and have for around 5 years. We are not big talkers but like to be able to text with our children so the pay as you go works well for us. Petrocan piggybacks on the Rogers network so the coverage is pretty good.
H & P
2015 Arctic Fox 29L, 2016 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4

Geocache team: Afternoonshift

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
I think Walmart offers a smart phone for $45 (US) monthly with endless data. I'm sure you can get the same deal in Canada.

AB and BC are some of the most beautiful places on the north american continent. Enjoy.

Ron

Unfortunately Walmart (Canada) does not offer cheap phones and plans like the states do.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
canadafan wrote:

Any suggestions?

Who is your current carrier?

We use AT&T, and recently checked the same issue, we have three lines on one plan, G/Ma's cell, My cell, and the home land line. we pay right at 100 USD. to get Canada Roaming package we would pay 135USD. but would be required to obligate longer than we are going to be gone so, We are simply shutting them off and going on vacation 🙂
once we are in the UAS again we'll turn them back on.
We don't see any difference between being out of cell service area most of time, and having the phones turned off.
Most all camp grounds have internet service so we will use it to stay in contact with the kids.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bell or Telus. Rogers has some pretty strange rules--such as 50% of the calls must be on native Rogers towers--so being out at campgrounds may lead to pretty poor service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Walmart offers a smart phone for $45 (US) monthly with endless data. I'm sure you can get the same deal in Canada.

AB and BC are some of the most beautiful places on the north american continent. Enjoy.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the big names like Telus, Bell and Rogers. They have plans that would suit your needs.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires