cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Net type tow protectors

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
My DP coach has an exhaust out the back bumper. I called Protect A Tow and they do not recommend their system since the exhaust will melt the fabric protection.

I have a blue ox base plate and Ready Brute elite tow bar. I'm thinking of having the exhaust re positioned to exit out the side of the coach or made shorter to exhaust beneath the coach.
Any suggestions?
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV
5 REPLIES 5

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a rear advertising flap under the bumper take it off. Then you won't need a Protect a Tow
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've seen a couple of DP Protect-A-Tow installations with a hole cut in them under the exhaust outlet. With only an inch or so clearance, I wouldn't expect there's much decrease in the debris protection.

I'm not sure that arrangement is totally safe. With only 1" clearance when the MH turns I would think the exhaust could come in contact with the fabric. I talked to protect a tow and they said they had a customer that installed it on his bumper mounted exhaust. It worked for a couple thousand miles then suddenly the fabric melted around the exhaust. Perhaps he had only 1" or clearance and eventually he turned in such a way as the exhaust made contact with the fabric.

Anyway I've decided to get the protect a tow, turn my exhaust sideways and have a fabric shop sew in a piece of carbon fiber welding fabric in the vicinity of the exhaust.
Tampa Bay
'14 Honda CRV

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:

I would not recommend allowing the exhaust to exit under the coach. Exhaust will enter the living area that way, not a good thing. A side exit may be OK but I would check with the engine manufacturer first, the bend may create a back pressure and reduce the proper exhaust flow.

Very good point, both about fumes and back pressure. I will not alter the exhaust except to turn it sideways but not so far as to allow water to enter.
Tampa Bay
'14 Honda CRV

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple of DP Protect-A-Tow installations with a hole cut in them under the exhaust outlet. With only an inch or so clearance, I wouldn't expect there's much decrease in the debris protection. On our gasser, the generator exhaust exited out the rear. To clear the Protect-A-Tow, I cut the pipe back and added a sweep elbow to bring it out the side. That mod also made mounting the Gen-turi easier.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
The generator exhaust on ours exits out the rear also. I just mounted the net to hang loose under the pipe. You could install some sort of shield to provide an air gap between your present exhaust and the net. Mounting it a bit loose will also help it hang down when sitting and a baffle or shield will allow air flow when moving and prevent the net contacting the exhaust pipe.

I would guess a 1" air gap would be plenty. When I was a chimney sweep many years ago we installed stove pipes which run much hotter with 2" gaps and a shield on the wall.

I would not recommend allowing the exhaust to exit under the coach. Exhaust will enter the living area that way, not a good thing. A side exit may be OK but I would check with the engine manufacturer first, the bend may create a back pressure and reduce the proper exhaust flow.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley