Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind scares the **** out of me

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Baja a week or so ago pulling my 25' Weekend Warrior Superlight
It's a two lane road and it's built up from the surrounding landscape so the only place to go is down
The crosswind was only 25 to 30 MPH but every time I felt the trailer sway I felt like I was tipping over and got vertigo
I might not be cut out for this stuff, the rest and relaxation hobby is too stressful lol
26 REPLIES 26

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Steve92004 wrote:

It was just too big and long for me, crew cab with an 8' bed
It was also black and impossible to wash
I sold my boat and thought my towing days were over
I retire next month and might be towing more now that I will have free time
I'm looking at trading in my 1500 and leasing a short bed crew cab cummins
I seem to trade in my vehicles and lose money on them every few years so it might make sense to just lease them.
I'm comfortable with the payment and I won't be upside down every time like now

You'll not be happy staying with the 1/2 ton if you tow very much. most of my tows with the old truck were less than 200 miles one way and were white knucle tows if it was very windy (it never blows in the So Cal desert does it?). Towing clear to Idaho with a 1/2 ton would not be a very enjoyable trip IMHO. I've towed the 5er with my Duramax up and down the coast, to New Mexico and AZ and it's always been a very pleasant experience; personally I'll never go back to a tag trailer again.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Steve92004 wrote:
OP here...
I'm pulling the toy hauler with a new Ram 1500. I know it's not ideal It's a shortbed crew cab and I'm not sure if it has the 3.21 rear end with 8,000 towing capacity or the 3.92 with 10,000 towing capacity. The toy hauler is about 8,000 loaded
I had a new heavy duty Ram 2500 Cummins diesel long bed before this one because I was pulling a 12,000 pound boat. That thing was a train.
I got rid of the boat and then one day I dismantled two cars in a school drop off zone. I didn't even realize I grabbed them until I completely took them apart. Everybody was yelling at me to stop and I looked in the mirror and saw a trail of bumpers, fenders and grills behind me.
I figured I should get something that wasn't a weapon of mass destruction so I traded it in on the 1500 and now I have another trailer.
I retire next month and I'm pulling the toy hauler from my place in San Diego to Idaho in August and staying a month or so.
I'm worried about the hills on the way with that 1500 tow vehicle
Maybe I'll put one of those Hensley hitches before I go. Right now I have WD hitch and a friction sway control bar

EDIT... I just got off the phone with the dealer and they went through the whole thing and said I have 8,750 capacity so I'm getting close to max with my rig

I don't understand this thought process at all.
You had a capable tow vehicle and because you got in an accident you went to a less capable tow vehicle?

Anyway, your decisions, but that 1/2 ton is gonna be scary towing that much weight up and down hills.....

Tail wagging the dog.

It was just too big and long for me, crew cab with an 8' bed
It was also black and impossible to wash
I sold my boat and thought my towing days were over
I retire next month and might be towing more now that I will have free time
I'm looking at trading in my 1500 and leasing a short bed crew cab cummins
I seem to trade in my vehicles and lose money on them every few years so it might make sense to just lease them.
I'm comfortable with the payment and I won't be upside down every time like now

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Steve92004 wrote:
OP here...
I'm pulling the toy hauler with a new Ram 1500. I know it's not ideal It's a shortbed crew cab and I'm not sure if it has the 3.21 rear end with 8,000 towing capacity or the 3.92 with 10,000 towing capacity. The toy hauler is about 8,000 loaded
I had a new heavy duty Ram 2500 Cummins diesel long bed before this one because I was pulling a 12,000 pound boat. That thing was a train.
I got rid of the boat and then one day I dismantled two cars in a school drop off zone. I didn't even realize I grabbed them until I completely took them apart. Everybody was yelling at me to stop and I looked in the mirror and saw a trail of bumpers, fenders and grills behind me.
I figured I should get something that wasn't a weapon of mass destruction so I traded it in on the 1500 and now I have another trailer.
I retire next month and I'm pulling the toy hauler from my place in San Diego to Idaho in August and staying a month or so.
Maybe I'll put one of those Hensley hitches before I go. Right now I have WD hitch and a friction sway control bar

EDIT... I just got off the phone with the dealer and they went through the whole thing and said I have 8,750 capacity so I'm getting close to max with my rig

I don't understand this thought process at all.
You had a capable tow vehicle and because you got in an accident you went to a less capable tow vehicle?

Anyway, your decisions, but that 1/2 ton is gonna be scary towing that much weight up and down hills.....

Tail wagging the dog.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
htwheelz67 wrote:
Thats your problem, towing with a 1/2 ton, I've towed my 30' triple axle WW in 35-50 mph winds with a GMC 2500 and now a F350 and never felt unstable or even pushed out of my lane, but might have something to do with 3 axles vs 2, because I have watched trailers in front of me get thrown around by wind on the fwy and I grab the wheel expecting the worst and hardly nothing. Tires make a huge differnce too.

I have to agree. I had a Silverado 1500 towing a 24' Wanderer. When fully loaded with family, bikes, etc. I know I was at or over the GCWV of the truck and it was NOT a good experience. Also toasted 2 transmissions before I put on a REAL trans cooler. Suggest adding a decent trans cooler to your Dodge if you want it to survive.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
Thats your problem, towing with a 1/2 ton, I've towed my 30' triple axle WW in 35-50 mph winds with a GMC 2500 and now a F350 and never felt unstable or even pushed out of my lane, but might have something to do with 3 axles vs 2, because I have watched trailers in front of me get thrown around by wind on the fwy and I grab the wheel expecting the worst and hardly nothing. Tires make a huge differnce too.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
First. Get rid of the p rated tires and get lt version. Get a shank clamp to eliminate any wiggle at the source. I tow 6-8 k with my 1500 but its the eco diesel with full air suspension and the 3.92 dif.

I use the Andersen wd sway hitch. My max weight Has been 8400lb. But usually in the high 6k.

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:

As I mentioned about the fine tuned and proper TV, I did all the adjustments to my dual-cam WDH and tow my 9000lb TT with a 1-ton, CC LB diesel. Towing manners are extremely good and even with gusty cross winds, my combo can get moved but as a whole unit. I'm sure proper trailer loading along with the extended wheel base and weight on my truck has a lot to do with it but point still is, my combo tows excellent even with 25-30mph cross winds that I experience in Wyoming.

that combos SHOULD be very stable. a dually towing a 9k TT, you've got a LOT more truck than necessary.

It is a SRW and actually, not really on the "a lot" more truck than needed. I frequently load my 800lbs trail ready Grizzly 700 on the truck and pull my TT.

Although, through Wyoming with the heavy cross winds, I did not have the Grizzly, only a couple of roof mounted kayaks.

I love me some land yachting

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

As I mentioned about the fine tuned and proper TV, I did all the adjustments to my dual-cam WDH and tow my 9000lb TT with a 1-ton, CC LB diesel. Towing manners are extremely good and even with gusty cross winds, my combo can get moved but as a whole unit. I'm sure proper trailer loading along with the extended wheel base and weight on my truck has a lot to do with it but point still is, my combo tows excellent even with 25-30mph cross winds that I experience in Wyoming.

that combos SHOULD be very stable. a dually towing a 9k TT, you've got a LOT more truck than necessary.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:

That is definitely a problem with Moab. You lose your mind about trying to get to that adult playground and possibly make poor decisions. I feel your pain! 😉

Back on point. A good, fine tuned WDH on a TT with a proper TV can handle winds as well as a 5th.

except with a tag trailer the wind wants to turn the tow vehicle, not just push it sideways due to the moment from the back wheels to the hitch ball. With a 5er the pivot point is directly over the rear axle so there's no moment and the wind pushes the whole thing in one direction. With my old TT I was always correcting with the steering wheel pointing in the same direction as the wind, now it is into the wind with the 5er.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
Bumper pulls will give you the white knuckle experience. Next rv, try a fifth wheel. They tow a lot better in a crosswind as well as when an 18 wheeler rolls by...

Not all...and not all the time...

Those with Hensey/Propride hitches know its very much like the experience pulling a 5th wheel. Incredibly stable.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

That is definitely a problem with Moab. You lose your mind about trying to get to that adult playground and possibly make poor decisions. I feel your pain! 😉

Back on point. A good, fine tuned WDH on a TT with a proper TV can handle winds as well as a 5th.

except with a tag trailer the wind wants to turn the tow vehicle, not just push it sideways due to the moment from the back wheels to the hitch ball. With a 5er the pivot point is directly over the rear axle so there's no moment and the wind pushes the whole thing in one direction. With my old TT I was always correcting with the steering wheel pointing in the same direction as the wind, now it is into the wind with the 5er.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
The worst crosswinds I ever drove through were on I15 SB north of Salt Lake on our way to Moab last year. The wind was so bad the freeway was closed to all high clearance vehicles, including RVs. We were on a mission to get to camp...

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter if you have a large trailer or a small one. A dually or not. The right gust WILL getcha. I've seen all of them laid over on the shoulder. Ive learned to just relax when I drive. If the trailer does sway, let off the throttle a little and let the rv recoup behind you and continue.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups