cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

auto steps

ahling
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2006 Coachmen diesel pusher. Today the automatic steps make a chattering noise when they retract in. Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may need a slight adjustment of the controller.. But frankly. It retracts so "Often" (not) that I'd not worry till you next scheduled dealer visit less it is a warranty issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ahling
Explorer
Explorer
The gearbox was an easy find on Amazon. I wound up buying it from camping world for a few bucks more since I was there for something else. Thanks for all the input.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to know if that gear is available on a retail basis and if it is, where did you get it from. I don't think Kwikee sold parts and Lippert is even stingier with information and parts than most.

A temporary fix some have suggested is to relocate the gear as only a small portion of the gear is actually used. Emphasis on "temporary"!!!

By the way does anyone remember when Kwikee sold to Lippert?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
Try cleaning and lubing them to see if it helps.

I had some issues with my steps. I did not use the coach for several months and when I did the steps failed to retract and I hit them on something and had to replace them. The replacement steps had a sticker on them to lubricate them once a month. I did not realize that they needed that much lubrication. That may be excessive but all the same you gears will probably last longer if you keep the steps moving freely. I need to go lubricate mine again now.

ahling
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I pulled it all apart and the large gear in the gearbox is stripped. Off to the parts store.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
ahling wrote:
There is a magnetic limit switch on the steps at full retract and I wonder if that is the problem.

What brand of steps are they?

I've never seen steps with a magnetic limit switch. Most have current sensing circuitry on the control board that cuts power to the motor when the steps reach full in or out causing the motor to go into locked rotor mode significantly increasing the current draw.

Aren't most DP steps air powered? Or is that just the step well cover?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ahling
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like my chore list just got bigger.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Try cleaning and lubing them to see if it helps.
2013 ACE 29.2

MrWizard
what brand step
When our kwikee step did that a gear in the gear box had broken several teeth
I bought a new gear box online from an Amazon seller
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bthomforde
Explorer
Explorer
If its a Lippert step check the center should bolt on the gear, ours broke 2 times. Lippert has a bracket that's supposed to fix it but ours broke after the "fix" was installed.

ahling
Explorer
Explorer
The step works like it should except when it retracts. After it is all the way up it makes a ratcheting noise for a couple of seconds. The batteries are full and it does it even with the generator running. There is a magnetic limit switch on the steps at full retract and I wonder if that is the problem.

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing a few days ago.

After getting under the motor home and checking everything, then cleaning and greasing all the moving parts without improvement, I thought that there maybe was not enough power to operate the stairs.

Checked the battery and it was dead so it was replaced. Steps work well now.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
low volts will cause that.