cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new to class c

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
If everything go alright , I will be a owner of a used 2017 freedom elite 29fe, I have been using travel trailer ever since got into camping. what can I expect shifting to a class c.
21 REPLIES 21

Spyone
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Coachmen and they told me to pull the circuit breaker on the generator. Did that and still doesn't work.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no outlet there, then you have an automatic transfer switch, maybe mounted onto the back of the main electric box with the breakers and 12V fuses. This is a gizmo that selects between the generator (when it is producing power, after a delay of maybe 30 seconds) and the shore power cord (at other times). It's possible that the transfer switch is malfunctioning.

However, before checking that, verify that the output circuit breaker on the generator itself is not tripped by flipping it off and then on. It is, of course, also possible that there's a wiring problem between the generator and the transfer switch.

Spyone
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld -There is no outlet in the power cord box. Now what?

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple more thoughts. Our previous RV was a 5er and I assume a TT is similar in that we had ample kitchen counter space. With a C, not so much. As mentioned above, you will find the rear end dragging on the ground when going in and out of some driveways or gas stations. Suggest you instal a roller or two at the rear of the rig. One other item which is important. Be aware of the tail swing of MHs. As you turn sharply left or right, the tail of the rig will swing outward. Leaving a gas station once, I parked somewhat close to the gas pump. When leaving, I had to turn right to exit. The next thing I new is my rear driver's side hit a cement post by the pumps and damaged that part of my couch.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
Look inside your power cord compartment and look for an outlet that matches your power cord plug. Plug the cord in the outlet and everything will work when you run the generator.

It looks like this.

Then yes,plug your shore plug into it and the generator power will go into the motorhome.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Look inside your power cord compartment and look for an outlet that matches your power cord plug. Plug the cord in the outlet and everything will work when you run the generator.

Spyone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. This newbie needs all the information and help he can get. BTW - the electrician did a good job of installing the outlet and did it properly. One more question. When I have the motor home plugged to my house outlet, the A/C, TV and everything works fine. However, before I got that outlet to plug into, the A/C, TV, Microwave etc would not come on when using the generator. What would cause that?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Spyone, we run our MH on shore power in the driveway. It keeps the reefer cold for extra storage space, plus it keeps the house batteries charged. I have a separate small battery charger on the chassis battery, hooked into the cigarette lighter.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Mea Culpa. I must have read the OP's post 4 times and didn't see the model. ...but this is not new for me. I can look straight at things and not be able to see them.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Danford50 wrote:
If everything go alright , I will be a owner of a used 2017 freedom elite 29fe, I have been using travel trailer ever since got into camping.

what can I expect shifting to a Class C?

The fact that you can pull into a CG, put it in park, and open a cold one!

And sit back and watch all the campers with TT's unhooking, unloading the truck stuff to the camper, leveling, etc, etc.......like you used to have to do!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Make certain whomever is putting the outlet in understands that it's a 120V outlet for an RV, and not a 240V outlet for a dryer (or anything else). People, even people who should know better because they're paid and licensed to know better, sometimes get that messed up and it does not end pleasantly.

Generally, there's nothing you need to switch on in the motorhome once you've plugged it in unless you need to use something. The converter comes on when you plug in to charge the house battery and power 12V systems, while the 120V systems are powered directly from the shore power. On your motorhome, there's probably an automatic transfer switch that, when the generator is started, will disconnect the 120V power feed from the shore cord and connect it to the generator output. (If it doesn't have one, there will be a socket in the cord storage compartment to plug the shore power cord into, with the generator powering that socket.)

If there is no water in the water heater tank, be sure that the electric water heater switch is off before plugging in or starting the generator, or you will not have a functional water heater element anymore.

Spyone
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a 30 amp outlet put in the side of my house to plug the RV power cord into. Dumb question here: What exactly is being charged and do I need to turn anything on. When I have the power cord plugged into the house and turn on the power in the motor home, does it automatically run on the power from the house or do I need to switch something.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Use the 2 rule with the 4000 watt Gen 2 big items A/C, Micro, hair dryer(ya they are 1500 watts). When large load is needed put refer on gas and water heater too. You will learn quickly, worst case you will flip a breaker, no damage, one on Gen too.

LEN

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weight. Class C's are very easy to get over weight. Our class C is a 31' Itasca and while packed lightly is still at GVWR (14050 lbs). It has storage space for way more than we can carry weight wise. Also keep good tires on it and watch their pressure. I have to run my rear duals at 80 lbs. and front at 78 due to weight. She drives good though! I get mine weighed at Flying J on the CAT scale or at an Escapees weight site when I can.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272