cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Most Useful and Least Useful Gadget Bought

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll confess I've bought several useless ones. The one that comes to mind: Table cloth weights that blew away with the cloth - both never to be seen again.

Most useful: Surge protector for dodgy electrical ports at campgrounds. It's saved my electrical system on several occasions.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
55 REPLIES 55

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
roman traveler wrote:
Best, my wine opener. Worst, butane match lighter.

Rt

Try using a Zippo Flexible Refillable Lighter; worth the extra money IMO.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stupid stick on propane tank guages.

Live & learn. Use one tank at a time. when one runs out, switch, refill empty at first convenient opportunity.

12 ton bottle jack. Been used many times.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Best, my wine opener. Worst, butane match lighter.

Rt

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Most useful: Surge protector for dodgy electrical ports at campgrounds. It's saved my electrical system on several occasions.

A wise camper indeed! This probably the most practical smart thing any camper can do to protect their investment. Better than a big dog even.;)
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
What are you people doing peeling your potatoes?! The peel is where all the flavor is! Just give them a good scrubdown, cut them up if desired, and cook them!

Best gadget: A kitchen faucet threaded to fit a garden hose, no adapter needed. I use it with the 'fish sink' it came with, or with a smaller, deeper sink on a coleman stand. either way, it's great to have an outdoor sink.

Worst: The scissor jack that came with my van. Well, the jack is fine, but the setup to turn it is ridiculous. Finally got a new bottle jack and I am in love.

Yes, I agree. We grow our own potatoes and the skins on new potatoes are so tender. Even later ones, especially the banana type, have very thin skins. That is also where the vitamins and minerals are.

Most favorite gadget is indoor/outdoor thermometer tied with humidity gauge. Least favorite is the radio/cd player that came with camper because it doesn't pull in many stations and who uses cds anymore.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Best for me is the Whirly Pop. Best popcorn popper ever.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
musicman54 wrote:
i threw away my peeler years ago never peel them

2X cook (mash fried or baked) with peels on.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My least useful; a Gas water heater tube cleaning brush. I bought it about ten years ago in case a spider or critter built a nest in the tube.
It is still in the package and never has been used

jack L
Jack & Nanci

hunter_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Not really a gadget, but a 4" Memory Foam mattress topper sure made a huge difference in comfort and keeping the sheets nice and crisp.

@Walmart-> Dream Serenity, King Size =$150.

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
Most useful 'gadget' would be the Cuisinart collapsible popcorn bowl. Folds down to about an inch thick. Got it from Bed Bath and Beyond for about $20
Least useful would be the outdoor carpet. It came with the RV but after about 2 years we threw it out as we never used it.

With the 'diet' my other half is on from the doctor we no longer have any potatoes in here so no peeler needed, thou we never peeled them anyway. No starch, no fruit (too much sugar in them), no beans, no corn, no beef (yes to buffalo, elk, deer just no beef). Finally brought the cholesterol numbers down to about normal, a few years ago the triglycerides were at 713.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
i threw away my peeler years ago never peel them

TheWanderingRV
Explorer
Explorer
Most useful: Probably our bikes. Love getting around campgrounds and local areas with them.

Least useful: Not really sure... I can't think of anything that was a particularly terrible purchase.

BTW I interviewed over 30 full-time RVers to find their must-have RV accessories, if you want to check it out! http://www.thewanderingrv.com/rv-accessories/

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
Most usefull.........knee pads to access the oven pilot

Least useful.........the oven

LOL

Most useful: 12V DC fan
Least useful: 117V AC fan

We camp without hookups almost exclusively and the 12V ones are far more efficient.

Medium useful: Potato peeler. It gets used, but not all that often.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Most useful thing my baby Q
least the potato peeler. I cannot think of a potato that needed peeling. I just pre cook a little in the nuke box then when ready quarter them up with a little butter and toss them on the above.

Did I see steaks on a flat electric grill...... ech.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.