cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sumos on Front

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to install Sumos all the way around but could not do rear on my 2016 Winnebago Suncruiser so we did the fronts. Wow is it impressive. Took a lot of the dip out of turning and really softened the ride. Really didn't need the rear as much as I thought. Front is so much tighter.
14 REPLIES 14

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I think so and I wish we could have fit them but with the roadmaster sway bar and propane lines and a spacer to level it just didn't work and I didn' want to do too much engineering.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sumos on the back of the Suburban give it a slightly stiffer feel, under load but, not hard. They support the extra weight to keep the vehicle level and on bumps they absorb the shock. They don't give as much as the stock suspension but, it doesn't jar your teeth or anything. Under normal loading they aren't working at all. I can't imagine towing without them. For a motorhome I suspect they would help out a lot for a suspension that's already working hard to keep things from bottoming out and feeling sloppy. Knowing what I know now I would have added them to my old motorhome if I had kept it. That P30 was carrying a lot of weight.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
It may be tighter and even stiffer but in a smooth way. Definitely remove most play in the steering and I already have a steering stabilizer. We could not fit Timbrens, air bags or the sumos on rear but the rear was not that bad. I am thinking that to get rid of the bottoming feeling on bumps on really bad roads perhaps upgrade my shocks or live with it. The suspension place said the rear is way overloaded on the springs and that is without my stuff. They said they could add a leaf but feared it would be way to stiff. Remember I am the guy who has had Kelderman installed on previous motorhomes. If I get crazy enoung I might have that installed on the rear. Right now it doesn't seem that bad. I know, more money than brains.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
38ft, 26,000 lbs.

Thanks. I was wondering if they might stiffen the ride up too much on my 29' F-53 with the 18K GVWR. I do know that the Timbrens we put on the back of our 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel sure did make things "bouncy". But, with 8 tons of hay on the big dovetail we didn't squat any more!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy, I'm curious as to why you could not add them to the rear, as they list them for you MH.
Wildmanbaker

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Sumo Supersprings on the back axle of my Suburban for towing. I love them. Best bang for buck out there.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again, let's be careful comparing suspension upgrades on so extremely different chassis.

Chevy/Workhorse P vs Ford F53 are COMPLETELY different front suspensions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I am not certain how they work so experts like Brett can explain that. I do know the front end is tighter and ride better. Yesterday on first ride with front sumos i was on a street that was in bad shape and i didn,t feel it. I heard some sruff i had not secured in a bay and then i realized how much the suspension was working but the banking was gone and that is huge. I will be driving it more in a few weeks so will know more.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do the Sumo Springs work to soften the ride? They look like they would add spring rate because they are always in contact with the frame. I added the Henderson Springs as Wolf posted and it reduced the dips and bottoming out over pot holes but the ride was firmer.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
On the front of a P chassis, better off with: http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-springs.html

Don't know how you could even fit the Sumos in the P's A arm IFS suspension.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I think they help anything with springs.

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
You think these would these possibly help a Workhorse 2004 P32 chassis? I might call the manufacturer.
Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
38ft, 26,000 lbs.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
I wanted to install Sumos all the way around but could not do rear on my 2016 Winnebago Suncruiser so we did the fronts. Wow is it impressive. Took a lot of the dip out of turning and really softened the ride. Really didn't need the rear as much as I thought. Front is so much tighter.

More information please - I'm considering doing the same thing. What length is your Suncruiser, and what is your GCWR?

I am looking at buying a pair of the SSF-140 Sumo Springs for the front of our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. It has the 18K lbs. GVWR chassis I think. I have already completed the CHF both front and rear, along with adding new shocks and replacing the rear swaybar bushings.