Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping with no electricity

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Members,
Next weekend I will be camping in my Class C Thurs-Sun. There will not be electricity available, and we are in Texas, so we will be using the generator to run the air conditioner day and night. I have never used the generator for more than a few hours. Is there anything I should know about this endeavor. Thanks in advance.
32 REPLIES 32

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I would be careful when refilling the fuel tank. I prefer to shut down for a while before I fuel.

Put it on a long cord away from the RV.

On Sunday, change the oil before you break camp.

Have a great time.

I think the OP is referring to the built in Onan generator in the Motorhome, that runs off the vehicle fuel tank and requires no cords.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Like many here say, If you have a Quiet Onan generator, be prepared for a new definition of "Quiet". The exhaust noise is nothing compared to the generator itself. I wonder if throwing a sizable piece of old carpet on the ground underneath the dang thing, if that will reduce the reflected noise off the ground. Maybe it will help inside the RV as well as outside.

You know, our AC is pretty loud inside this very small RV and we have run the generator before with the AC on - but just for an hour or so - and the AC pretty much drowns out or blends in with the generator. But I am taking ear plugs in case it is too loud.

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Sounds to me like a great use for grandpa's RV. Go help your grandbaby make some wonderful memories with her horse. It doesn't get any better than that.

Ha! Ha! It is Grandma's RV, unfortunately Grandpa passed on a few years ago. So Grandma (me) is going it alone now! And you are right, it doesn't get any better than watching grand baby learn horsewomanship from the best!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Like many here say, If you have a Quiet Onan generator, be prepared for a new definition of "Quiet". The exhaust noise is nothing compared to the generator itself. I wonder if throwing a sizable piece of old carpet on the ground underneath the dang thing, if that will reduce the reflected noise off the ground. Maybe it will help inside the RV as well as outside.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'll second the recommendation of a Genturi overhead exhaust stack. Otherwise, wind direction would be a very important consideration. I recall reading a couple years ago about a family killed camping in a tent beside an RV with a generator discharge at ground level. While not the fault of the RV owners, such an accident would haunt folks consciences for the rest of their lives, I'm sure. Put that exhaust gas way up over the roof somewhere it has a chance to seriously blow away/dilute with good air before encountering anyone's nose.

Sounds to me like a great use for grandpa's RV. Go help your grandbaby make some wonderful memories with her horse. It doesn't get any better than that.

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
As a fail safe option, consider buying another carbon monoxide detector from Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. Very cheap insurance.

If this a built in generator I would do this for sure. JMHO

Yes it is built in and I will get another carbon monoxide detector

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
As a fail safe option, consider buying another carbon monoxide detector from Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. Very cheap insurance.

If this a built in generator I would do this for sure. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Be aware that the fuel pick up for a built in generator is about at the 3/4 empty level--so make sure to fill the tank up before heading for the ranch.

Thanks, we will be full when we head to the ranch, and we can always go get more gas if we need to, we will be just outside Ft. Worth, TX

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Lwiddis, I'm curious why staying at a horse ranch is 2nd or 3rd class..."

Love horse ranches! But only those with electricity if staying overnight and it's warm/hot. Favorite is near Lakeview, OR. I don't breed, own, ride, train or participate in any way. I watch and photo whilest wearing one of my two Stetsons.

OK, I see! My granddaughter has a new horse, and just doesn't want to leave him alone, plus, we don't mind staying out there with him since we have the RV. Thanks for the explanation. And I don't even own a Stetson, but I do have boots! LOL!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be aware that the fuel pick up for a built in generator is about at the 3/4 empty level--so make sure to fill the tank up before heading for the ranch.

gja1000 wrote:
Yes my generator is built in so I will be getting the exhaust extension and a second carbon monoxide alarm.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Lwiddis, I'm curious why staying at a horse ranch is 2nd or 3rd class..."

Love horse ranches! But only those with electricity if staying overnight and it's warm/hot. Favorite is near Lakeview, OR. I don't breed, own, ride, train or participate in any way. I watch and photo whilest wearing one of my two Stetsons.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks thanks thanks to everyone. Your suggestions are so helpful. Yes my generator is built in so I will be getting the exhaust extension and a second carbon monoxide alarm. We won't be doing this often, but I have thought about the solar option.

Lwiddis, I'm curious why staying at a horse ranch is 2nd or 3rd class, or even why you would say that. Perhaps I misunderstand the comment. My granddaughter will be taking horsemanship lessons from a renowned trainer, and we want to stay out where her horse will be staying. I grew up on a farm, so I'm looking forward to being out on a ranch.

Thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate all your advice.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
I would be careful when refilling the fuel tank. I prefer to shut down for a while before I fuel.

Put it on a long cord away from the RV.

I believe that the OP has an installed generator, not a portable.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've done it boondocking many times over and our Onan eats up the task like candy, after all that is what they are designed for. Our genny is midship and the drone it makes is just a dull hum in our bedroom, quite hypnotic and easy to sleep with. Can't say I've given any thought to changing oil directly after such an occurrence, but it couldn't hurt any. I don't baby our Onan, it gets it's annual oil change with full synthetic and is filled with the most economical, ethanol laced fuel I can find. Onans love to run, at least ours does, after a decade of heavy use, often under brutal environmental conditions, nothing makes our genny happier than giving her a good workout.