cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaning to the right

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I hava a 2006 Fleetwood with 30,000 miles.Ive been told the rear stableizer bushings are bad and need to be replaced, thats why it is leaning to the pass side.Any info would be helpful.Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Russian leaf springs?

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Tntman wrote:
My 2001 National Tropical 36' on the F-53 chassis leaned to the right. National in Perris, CA sent me to a lot spring shop. They knew of the problem, added a leaf to the right rear. Solved the lean, handling was great and tire wear was normal. No problems after that. Coach rode level.
First time for everything.

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 National Tropical 36' on the F-53 chassis leaned to the right. National in Perris, CA sent me to a lot spring shop. They knew of the problem, added a leaf to the right rear. Solved the lean, handling was great and tire wear was normal. No problems after that. Coach rode level.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to have my first F-53 lean fixed by adding springs. The shop had nothing but problems trying to do it and in the end, abandoned the entire project. I have yet to read of anyone actually adding a leaf to the F-53.

On my 2006, it was low in the front and unlevel. Truck shop used spacers to level it all out. About 3" on one side, 2.5" on the other. Been like this now for 8 years with no further leaning or sagging.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
There was a guy on another forum who purchased a new motorhome and had handling problems for 6 years. Added all sorts of after market parts to help handling to no avail.

He recently discovered that his front tires were two different sizes. Came that way new. Bought two new tires and the handling problem was solved.

So check out your tire sizes, can't hurt.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We added a spacer of about 1/2 inch on 2016 Ford F-53. Leveled it off perfectly.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
My Fleetwood has propane tank, refer, stove oven on right side always leaned.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
This is a known problem for the F53 ford chassis. Manufactures wanted a soft ride and ford gave it to them, but the springs are not strong enough to resist sagging, because of the road crown. Not only that, but there always seems to be a slight wind on the drivers side, which also contributes to the sagging problem. You want to be very careful about adding a spring leaf to only one side. You will be creating an uneven loading on the chassis, and the basic MH is NOT a race car. You need to be able to left and right with equal safety.
Wildmanbaker

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
Put front and rear airbags on my 1999 National Tropical F53 and not only helped the problem but the handling and ride difference is amazing. A little spendy though, just shy of $2,000 but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
shop just called and found 5 in difference pass side lower,bussings are shot will replace with neoprene.then will check.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again, if you are talking about sway bar/panhard rod bushings, that will have no affect on lean.

They need to check springs and spring shackles carefully.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
have not found a scale to weigh each corner, seems like the lean gets worse each year.shop just called and are replacing bushings in the rear, said they were shot and the bar had moved about 2 in to one side.hope that it fixes the lean.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
That is a whole lot of lean. I would guess that there's a broken spring or other rather significant suspension problem, not just somewhat uneven weight distribution. Get yourself to a truck spring and chassis shop (probably not an RV specific repair place) for diagnosis if you don't have the specific skills and/or knowledge to do so.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at your floor plan, I suspect the right side is quite a lot heavier: Both galley slide (weight of slide plus appliances, plus cabinet, plus your stuff) and bedroom slide are on the right side.

Have you weighed the 4 corners-- if so, what are weights?

Has it always leaned or is this new.

Speculating that the answer will be to add a leaf/spacer to the low side, assuming nothing worn or broken.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/