cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer length

Aggie78
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a 42 foot toy hauler and notice many states have maximum trailer lengths of 40 ft or less. Does this mean I need to drive around that state? I am actually purchasing the toy hauler in a state with a maximum trailer length of 40 feet and live in that state. How can I legally tow the trailer off of the dealer lot and get it home? Hmmmmm.
13 REPLIES 13

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a 40 ft 5th wheel?
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
NM

1. Height. If the height of the trailer or the load appears to exceed 14
feet, a measurement may be needed in order to determine if an
oversize permit is required.
2. Length. Vehicles operating on designated highways may have two
28-1/2 foot trailers (double) or one 57-1/2 foot trailer. If the overall
length of the tractor, trailer or combination appears to exceed 65 feet
and it is on a non-designated highway, a measurement may be
needed in order to determine if an oversize permit is required.
3. Width. If the trailer or the load extends beyond the maximum 8 feet 6
inch legal limit, an oversize permit is required if the load is nonreducible.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in NM just drive the unit.

My nephew was a NM State police district commander (now retired). I once ask him about legal lengths of a trailer, truck, and boat. He did not know and neither did any of his troopers. He claims he asked his Sergeant to find out. He said a DOT Certified State trooper would know but would not stop a non-commercial vehicle unless there was some other reason to stop the driver.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where I live there are length restrictions too but I'm not aware of a trailer length restriction (combined, yes). However, here (Ontario) if your combined weight is over 24,200lbs, you need a Class A (CDL equivalent) to drive it.

Yes, I have a Class A and passed the same tests and medicals as commercial drivers. Now that I'm (gently) over 65, I have to get a medical every year just to drive my (heavy) RV.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
With the "litigious society" that we live in, is two feet really worth the worry or consequences if something were to happen? Myself, I'd look for a 40 footer.
I'd still like to know how the dealer can even sell it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
While I generally agree with the above comments, "combined length 65'" does not eliminate the 40' statement. And 53' is a commercial requirement requiring a CDL. And LEOs are not going to be stopping you to measure your trailer. But if you happen to be stopped for some other reason, particularly one sensitive to that LEO such as running a red light or exceeding the 25 mph limit in his little town of 500, don't be surprised if he whips out his 100' tape measure.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
Look at how many 53" tractor trailer there are running around, doubt it is enforced.

It may be a commercial license issue CDL and the trailer/truck registration. As much as the police like to enforce the driving laws on truckers if it wasn't legal they would be all over them.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Look at how many 53" tractor trailer there are running around, doubt it is enforced.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Aggie78
Explorer
Explorer
I am living in New Mexico. I appreciate your replies!

BB_TX wrote:
He does not indicate what state he is in. But here is a common statement pulled from an on-line state towing laws information site.

Indiana Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; width: 102 inches; height: 13 feet 6 inches.

Florida Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet (excludes safety devices approved by the state); trailer length: 40 feet (excludes safety devices approved by the state); width: 102 inches (excludes mirrors and safety devices); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

From another on-line site.

Alabama
Size limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6"; trailer length, 40'; motorhome length, 45'; combined length 65' combined length 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Best to check with local state DOTs to make verify what the laws are.

the KEY IS - - COMBINED -65'

EVERY State we travel in there are trailers larger than 40'.. I can almost guarantee you that NO LEO will get out a tape measure and verify that you are legal... I have seen some comb's that I had to wonder HOW THE HECK they made it that far, and the LEO's would just go on by . . THEY HAVE FAR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
He does not indicate what state he is in. But here is a common statement pulled from an on-line state towing laws information site.

Indiana Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; width: 102 inches; height: 13 feet 6 inches.

Florida Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet (excludes safety devices approved by the state); trailer length: 40 feet (excludes safety devices approved by the state); width: 102 inches (excludes mirrors and safety devices); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

From another on-line site.

Alabama
Size limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6"; trailer length, 40'; motorhome length, 45'; combined length 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Best to check with local state DOTs to make verify what the laws are.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am purchasing a 42 foot toy hauler and notice many states have maximum trailer lengths of 40 ft or less. Does this mean I need to drive around that state? I am actually purchasing the toy hauler in a state with a maximum trailer length of 40 feet and live in that state. How can I legally tow the trailer off of the dealer lot and get it home? Hmmmmm.

Which state are you in? How did the dealer get the trailer if it was illegal to tow more than a 40 foot trailer? If worried get a 40 foot toy hauler. There can be some comfort in peace of mind. Most states have a max length of 40 feet or more for trailers.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Although the likelihood of an LEO pulling you over and measuring your trailer is remote, an over zealous one could certainly create a problem for you with being longer than the law allows. Or, in the event of an accident where you were at fault, an aggressive lawyer could certainly create problems. Something to think about.

Verify the length restriction with your state DOT rather than on-line towing law charts.