cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford E450 Parking Brake Leak

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, this is not uncommon: the drum-style parking brake on a Ford V8 or V10 transmission leaks. Here is a previous thread that covers it.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27650720/print/true.cfm

So, I noticed a tiny dot of transmission fluid on my parking brake assembly yesterday. Leaks tend to get worse, not better, so I'd like to fix this ASAP. The assembly doesn't look too complicated and the seals are cheap and easy to get.

Question: has anyone here done this job? My 2007 E450 shop manual barely even mentions the brake assembly, let alone outlines the R&R procedure.

To head off the inevitable speculation: The transmission is not leaking. The rear seal is not leaking. The parking brake is leaking. I am going to replace the seals (or the whole unit if it comes to that).

Again, has anyone here done this job themselves?
4 REPLIES 4

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you will find some useful information in this thread.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23896976.cfm

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup I had this repaired while I was on the road. Real big learning curve for me about how a a parking brake works on the Ford E450. 😞

The parking brake is part of the driveshaft AND when I said since it was only leaking a little and said I'd wait to have it fixed the mechanic told me that that part holds a substantial amount of your transmission fluid. And if that parking brake assembly goes I'd be dead on the road with no transmission.

I took mine to a semi-truck repair shop and waited for it. And it was no where's near $4,000 like the poster said in the link you provided.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Blackrider
Explorer
Explorer
deprived wrote:
Apparently, this is not uncommon: the drum-style parking brake on a Ford V8 or V10 transmission leaks. Here is a previous thread that covers it.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27650720/print/true.cfm

So, I noticed a tiny dot of transmission fluid on my parking brake assembly yesterday. Leaks tend to get worse, not better, so I'd like to fix this ASAP. The assembly doesn't look too complicated and the seals are cheap and easy to get.

Question: has anyone here done this job? My 2007 E450 shop manual barely even mentions the brake assembly, let alone outlines the R&R procedure.

To head off the inevitable speculation: The transmission is not leaking. The rear seal is not leaking. The parking brake is leaking. I am going to replace the seals (or the whole unit if it comes to that).

Again, has anyone here done this job themselves?

Yes I have done this job. I worked for a Company that had a fleet of City Delivery trucks I was their mechanic.It is a routine maintenance job but if the park brake is leaking. The oil is probably coming from the transmission through the park brake. Make sure you do the rear seal on the transmission output. If it is leaking it may appear to you that it is only the brake leaking. The brake hold a few ounces oil to lube the bearing.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will need some special sockets to do the job. May be easier to replace the assembly.
Rebuild instructions
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY