cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly, Flat Tow or Trailer best way to Alaska

magicrider
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a 2 month trip to Alaska with Fleetwood Revolution. We were planning on flat towing our 2014 Buick Enclave. We want to buy a Jeep but will have to wait 2 more years. Several have advised me we will damage the appearance and/or the mechanicals on the Enclave on this trip. I was told due to the very rough gravel roads and frost heaves. I assume a vehicle is needed to get around to all the sights. Looking for your very experienced opinions. Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
We travelled to Alasks 3 times in a Revolution LE flat towing a Chev. Tracker. We did have protection on the front of the Tracker, a Roadmaster Guardian. With that installed, we had no problems towing the Tracker. I agree with what has already been posted, though, whenever you run into construction or fresh gravel coat, SLOW DOWN and move the far right side of the road.

Ed Headington

We've also been there a couple times towing our Jeep 4 down with the Roadmaster Guardian on the front. The Jeep is now 13 years old and still looks like new. As others have mentioned GO SLOW through the construction and frost heaves. Most damage is done driving at high speeds over the frost heaves. I've seen frames twisted, towbars bent and baseplates torn off because some people feel the need to drive at interstate speeds over frost heaves.

Slow and Steady wins. Keep an eye on the centerline and side stripes and signs. If the lines look like the painter had one too many for lunch it's actually the way the machine was moving up, down and side to side as it passed over the frost heaves. Keep in mind the painting machine was only doing about 15 mph and was still all over the road.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We drove the Cassiar last year and very little of it was gravel and actually was one of the best roads we were on.

magicrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a bra or protection of some sort on the tow bar and you will be fine.

LEN

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you do not have a full width mud flap that is set too low to the ground. If it is too low and hits the ground as the coach travels, the protection will become the cause of many rocks flipping up into, onto and in every possible place on your towed vehicle.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice above and until Whitehorse you can usually run 60 mph except at the bridges as 97 is a good paved road. After Whitehorse follow another vehicle to see how rough the frost heaved areas are to know how much to slow down. I would not use the Cassiar/37 as much of it is gravel.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We come up every 2 years. 06, 07, 09, 11, 13, 15, and we're now sitting in Valdez shrimping. We've brought 2 brand new coaches up (a 2008 Allegro Bus and a 2013 Allegro Bus) and have not had a problem. North of Whitehorse the frost heaves can get bad but the trick is to slow down and use the whole road when opposing traffic allows. The area north of Destruction Bay in YT and north of Beaver Creek in YT to the border were the worse, but you also need to watch the border to Tok, AK. Again, slow down and watch for signs, flags and cones marking the worse sections. These are not 55mph roads, but 30-40 is realistic in all but the worse places. Besides, there's too much to see. Slow down and enjoy. If you do get a stone chip in a windshield, just get it fixed in the next big town. Don't let that deter you from coming up. Just beware---the place is addicting. We pull the full size pickup but we need the space for the freezer, boat, motor and fishing gear. We pull with a full cover on the truck (Coastline Cover)
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We travelled to Alasks 3 times in a Revolution LE flat towing a Chev. Tracker. We did have protection on the front of the Tracker, a Roadmaster Guardian. With that installed, we had no problems towing the Tracker. I agree with what has already been posted, though, whenever you run into construction or fresh gravel coat, SLOW DOWN and move the far right side of the road.

Ed Headington

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Tow four down and SLOW down and you will have no problem.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"