cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT 7 pin plug - Universal?

Dryheat36
Explorer
Explorer
Currently towing my TT with a 2014 Toyota Tundra. Looking to purchase a 2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD. Question, are the 7 pin plugs set up universal? Sorry if theirs seems silly but of course nobody at the dealerships knows.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
The 7 wire round is often used on large agriculture equipment when towing on the highway. While that may not have brakes, they have a lot of lights. And you did get the same answer I was going to give on the trucks being universal on 7 wire blade that I have seen. In fact I have not seen a camper with electric brakes since the 80's that did not have 7 wire blade cord set. Years before the 80's there may be some round 6 pin I think.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Dryheat36
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. Thought they were universal but wanted to check.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A lot of talking around your question, but to answer, yes, the trailer plugs that come as OE on every truck I've seen (the big 5 anyway) for the last 15plus years are the same 7pin, blade type. It is pretty much the universal standard for trailer wiring with brakes, backup lights and 12V charging/accessory lead.
New Ram will have the same 7 pin blade as your tundra. Provided that's what you have on the truck and trailer currently.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Factory installed plugs are universal.
"Joe backyard mechanic" installed plugs may not be.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My previous 2004 and present 2010 Ford trucks were equipped with the 7-way blade type receptacles. Both were actually a 7-way BLADE type and 4-way PIN type combo unit with spring locking lids like shown in this google image...

All of the 7-way trailer cables I have ever been associated with were using the 7-way BLADE type plugs... I have seen a 6-way round pin type cable plug on a Truck Camper setup which was using an 6-way PIN to 7-way BLADE adapter plug on it which plugged into the truck 7-way Blade connector. Another issue you will have is the truck also provides for Trailer Brake wiring to the 7-way BLADE type mounted receptacle on the rear of the truck. My 2004 Truck had a hanging trailer brake cable in the console area to plug into an after market Brake Controller module. My 2010 Truck had the brake controller built-in like shown here...

google image

Etrailer makes an adapter cable kit just for this type of setup for the Truck camper unit and a fifth wheel unit to install up on the inside of the truck bed and will route back the 7-way Blade Receptacle on the rear of the truck...

I'm sure ETRAILER has the 6-pin version of this extension setup as well. You could have both 7-way and 6-way connections onthe inside of the truck bed wall like this photo shown on google...

My small utility trailer I tow behind my truck is equipped with the 4-way round pin arrangement and will plug into the 4-way side of the dual combo setup I have.

I am thinking you will most likely only see the 7-way BLADE type units being used as the standard universal connector... If I was adding the trailer connector to a truck I would go with the 7-way BLADE and 4-way PIN combo receptacle like shown above...

Food for thought here...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be buying either or both Plug and Socket, BUY REALLY HIGH QUALITY. Hopkins is good and may be as good as you'll find. I think the BLADE type is the standard of today but the pin type is also good.

Just don't scrimp, one of those wires will be your charge line and the other circuits are safety circuits, lights and brakes. You don't want failures from using cheep cr-p.

Sorry about the language, I am just into good safety equipment connectors.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If both are factory installed, they are the same.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer

The way it should be.
Sometimes a local installer may screw up
Or the trailer may be wired wrong
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind