cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Had a new moose calf born in the backyard yesterday

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is in Anchorage. The calf was born in the back yard during the night. While they look cute, stay a long ways away from the cow and calves. We have a large back yard and this was taken with a 300mm lens. When there's a cow back there with a calf I don't go into the back yard except to try and get the back gate open so she can go which ever direction she wants. I've gotten chased more than once when I didn't know there was a cow back there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
16 REPLIES 16

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

TVQ1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, now you've made me homesick! For almost 30 years we lived off O'Malley road, to the north behind the zoo about a mile. We retired and moved to Idaho in 2005.

The year we sold our home we had a mama moose with twin calves in and out of our backyard for a couple of weeks. I miss those kind of sights!

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
Great picture! Thanks for posting!
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been 'close' to 'a' moose 2x.

1. Walking with my Chessie dogs on a trail from parking to a power line and back. All of a sudden young moose jumps up in the bush 5 feet from us and runs away. I couldn't tell 'male' or 'female'.

2. While digging potatoes one October morning, I stood up to give myself a 'rest' of straightened legs, when Mr. Moose came trotting in from the upper terrain through my back lot and to the very edge of my garden just to stand. Oops 'turnips' are a bare 10 feet from him. "Good morning", I said and Mr. Moose turned ran off my back lot quite directly for the house owned by our resident 'taxidermist', I kid you not. Could kick myself for worrying about the turnips. I wish, I wish I'd taken a longer look.

As PackerBacker says....

....................Oops, never mind all of those times I've come to a full stop on a public road/highway, 4-laner, etc for a moose. What does a moose do in these cases, but wait for you to stop and then moseyed leisurely across the road. The caribou behave like that too.

But sometimes they run away from you. Always glad it's away, not into my wheels.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have pictures, but 3 years ago at our house in Goldenview in Anchorage, mama moose gave birth to twin calves in our "yard" ( part of the lot behind the house, but unimproved). All cool, wonderful, etc.

3 hours later, Mama Griz comes through with her two older cubs. And that, unfortunately, was the end of the two moose calves.

Since the bears sort of came and went for the course of a couple of days, we asked ADF&G what to do with the carcasses (expecting some sort of disposal program since we were in the city): their response was to tell us to wait until the bears weren't around (duh!) and then take the carcasses to the dump and "you probably should wash down the area where the kill was to get the blood and guts away"...No kidding.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Great shot!

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Awww so sweet! Accidentally got between a mama and baby moose many moons ago. Won't make that mistake EVER again!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Whenever I see something like this, I feel very sorry for all the people who go through life without ever experiencing nature at it's best.

Agreed, but think of all those city folk who would then crowd up nature even more. I'm glad there are city folk who would never want to venture into nature... but hopefully they still have the respect nature.

BTW, thanks for sharing the pictures!
I love me some land yachting

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great photo... thanks for posting... Love it

That would be alot better than hearing some noise at the RV trailer door and when you open it up there is a very large Bear growling at you haha...

Happened to us one time camping inside the Smoky Natl Park one year... We had Bennett's BBQ that night so guess the bear was following his keen smell...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding !

Thanks for posting those pics !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Nice photos. Back in the late 1980's I was working as an inventory Forester in Minnesota. I was going through some thick brush and working my way toward a clearcut area (I could see the light through the brush). I worked my way into the open area and immediately saw a Moose Cow with twin calves who had just been born, as they were trying to get up and being very wobbly. They were probably about 50 feet away from me. The cow gave me a very stern look and that was enough that I turned and disappeared back into the brush. Sure wish I had a camera and could have snapped a quick photo though.

Thanks for posting those pictures above. It sure brought back some great memories for me.

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool. And thank you for posting the pictures. We can't wait for our trip up in 2018.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! What a sight to behold. Thank you so much for sharing!
Cardinal 33TSLE

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Wow is that ever neat. :C

My folks had a large pond off their back yard and would get a moose come up to forage through the vegetable garden every now and then.

Whenever I see something like this, I feel very sorry for all the people who go through life without ever experiencing nature at it's best.