cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food savers

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old food saver with the three canisters. The vac works great for jars also, but the sealer has quick working. Looking for new one don't neat a huge one. Just one that vacs jars an seals. Any suggestions that you like best. Checking at Costco today. But would like some imput.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
7 REPLIES 7

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
For a while, somebody was making bags that had a liner in them that would trap the moisture, but I haven't seen them in a while. It worked great when I vacuum sealed some greasy tamales. Another option is to put a strip of paper towel between where the food ends and the seal will be--that can help keep the moisture out of the seal, which can happen even when you pre-freeze things.

A fabulous thing about a vacuum sealer is the room it creates in my small Norcold freezer. Those big bags of potstickers? I apportion them out, lay them flat in a bag, and suck them down and just slide them in there like books on a shelf.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
Couldn't talk the DW into a Food Saver, but bought one any way. Now she loves it. Smoke some ribs at home and put some through the Food Saver and freeze. After driving all day and arriving at a campsite all tired out pop the frozen ribs in to the microwave. Taste like they just came off the smoker. And of course, ribs aren't the only thing. Use you imagination. Works for us!

And grilled corn on the cob.
Smoked chicken.
Grilled burgers.
Smoked fish.

Better than restaurant food. O yeah Mama!:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couldn't talk the DW into a Food Saver, but bought one any way. Now she loves it. Smoke some ribs at home and put some through the Food Saver and freeze. After driving all day and arriving at a campsite all tired out pop the frozen ribs in to the microwave. Taste like they just came off the smoker. And of course, ribs aren't the only thing. Use you imagination. Works for us!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, stick with the Food Saver name to buy.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our low profile FoodSaver at Walmart.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Foodsaver FM2100 at Costco a year or so ago. Don't know if Costco still has it. We bought this one because of it's compact low profile so it stores easily in our motorhome. We like it alot. I think it does what you need. Check it out on Foodsaver website, watch the videos and read some reviews.

Our only problem is incomplete sealing when there is too much moisture in the food. I read a reply from Foodsaver to one of the reviews:
"For best results be sure to pre-freeze any food with moisture, such as fresh meats and seafood"

So we did this with some fresh fish and it definitely helps!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought one of the less expensive ones and you get what pay for. It quit working after only 7 uses.

Went to the Food Saver brand and it's still working. My wife likes to can and vacuum seal food to save space.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus