cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Working on the road fulltime

Don2466
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any retired Law Enforcement officers out there that got any good ideas on what to do to earn some extra money while on the road fulltime? 20 months until retirement, me and wife hitting the road, gotta get out of Michigan (its only worth 3 months of summer anymore), would like some ideas of what I could do.

thanks
12 REPLIES 12

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Friend retired for service, he and his wife full time, and post a blog on a regular basis, with Amazon links, click thru provides some $$$. I have never asked how much.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

KA4EBU
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing the Amazon jobs in KY. How much do they pay and the hours/days.
Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

Dryheat36
Explorer
Explorer
Check with one of the large national security companies as it sounds like you will be traveling. Allied Universal and Securitas are two of the largest companies in the country with accounts in every state. This way you could possibly get hired by the company and transfer from location to location.
Best of luck in your travels.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start checking with all of the Shopping centers and malls. They all have night guards for patrolling the outside areas... A friend of mine makes goood money doing this...

Being a LEO would probably put you high on the list...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We work 3-4 months out of the year for Amazon. This will be our sixth year with them in Campbellsville, KY.
Amazon Camperforce
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for piecemeal work check with the local companies who service ATM machines in the areas you want to stay in. When Diebold or another company sends a tech out nights or weekends some security guard goes along. Its considered high risk, because sometimes the machines are purposely sabotaged to force a tech to a location in the middle of the night. normal pay is around $25 an hour from when you get the call to when you get home, plus a mileage allowance.
Also check, I did personal protection for a while, but I will warn you, the folks you deal with (politicians) are the lowest forms of life in the country. And no, party doesnt matter.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteer at a national park. The perks can include, Site for your rig as well as full hookups; one or two I saw include a propane allowance.
Better than $$$ cause not taxable
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You could run drugs or smuggle but, that could make it a short retirement. :B

Probably security is your best bet. You shouldn't have any problems finding part time work in that field. IF, that is what you want.
Maybe you had enough of that type work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the National Parks hire retired LEO's for peak season training is required.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
It should be easy for you to find temp security work almost anywhere in the country. Retail, manufacturing, financial... all hire lots of security.

There may even be agencies that do all the screening, etc and staffing for jobs. I bet there are newsletters/associations for retired LEO that will have info.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Gate guard down in TX. Private park night security. Or do what many do, volunteer camp host at any number of park systems around the country.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't list any experience so I'm guessing you don't have IT background and I'm also guessing, you can't consult for your current employer remotely. Giving us some info about your skill set would be helpful.

Would you LEO background allow you to do some bounty hunting? (no clue what's really involved but seems logical)

Seasonal work (say 4-5months in Mackinaw). A lot of seasonal destinations have trouble keeping reliable staff as they can't offer year round work even though they pay decent in season.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV