cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing roof A/C unit

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class A and need to replace the A/C for the bedroom. It runs for maybe a minute then pops the beaker. The unit is clean and I think I need to replace the air conditioner. The motor home is a 1997 Damon Intruder 32 ft. So do I just buy a A/C unit and replace or do I need to match the A/C to the room controls? I plan on buying a 13,500 BTU unit. Will any one work with the controls that came with the motor home? Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Add a Supco SPP6 hard start capacitor. There was a post on it, so watch for hard start capacitor. I added one in less than 30 minutes for under 30 dollars. Took care of my AC issues.
Lost...But making good time.
2000 Ford F-250 V-10 4X4 CC, 1998 Sprinter 265RK

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
twainharteartist wrote:
billyboy wrote:
Check and replace the start capacitor
I called an RV company and they say my A/C (1997 Coleman)is too old and they don't make a replacement capacitor any longer. That doesn't sound right to me. Capacitors as far as I know is a capacitor and as many as there are out there I would think there would be one that I can buy for it.

Coleman may no longer stock that part #, a minimum wage guy at an RV shop is not going to know much. Remove it an take it to any HVAC place and they should be able to match it up.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
twainharteartist wrote:
billyboy wrote:
I called an RV company and they say my A/C (1997 Coleman)is too old and they don't make a replacement capacitor any longer. That doesn't sound right to me. Capacitors as far as I know is a capacitor and as many as there are out there I would think there would be one that I can buy for it.

That's like saying a new car will not fit your driveway.

Dusty

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
billyboy wrote:

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for your reply's

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my Dometic unit replaced as it had quit. Bad compressor. Only the upper unit had to be replaced. I had a mobile RV service come out to do it.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without know more about the brand of AC it hard to advise. If it's a Dometic the 5 button Tstat will not work with a newer unit without an adapter board.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You need to match. If controlled by a thermostat on the wall then get one controlled by a thermostat on the wall. It could be one with controls mounted on the unit then match that
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the amp draw first. You could have a bad breaker.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Most AC units consist of upper and lower components. I had to change out a upper AC section due to the loss of a compressor once. I bought the upper unit of the same brand and size, removed 4 bolts clamping the faulty unit to the roof, then unplugged lower unit. Replaced the upper unit with new foam roof gasket, plugged in harness and replaced bolts. I had a neighbor with a forklift to raise and lower the AC unit, which made the job easy.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

MrWizard
"price blemish" ??
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
That problem happened with my ac. It turned that the fan under the cover on the roof had come lose. Tightened it and the price blemish was fixed. Worth checking before replacing.